Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Angry Bird Syndrome

The Angry Bird Syndrome

Namaste all members,

I have always had this question in my mind that I actually wrote in down sometime back and saved it in my lap top.

I had noted that those who seem to profess religion strictly almost never ever smile.

I used to visit an Ashram in India where the staff working there were always getting angry easily.

I wondered”are they not happy? Or is anger a form of Holier Than Thou attitude?”

Then I observed them more closely..yes there were happy! They were happy when they could shout at others!

I remember once I was walking up hill to a book store in the Ashram with my husband

We were taking a stroll uphill to see if the store was opened because the store had certain timings and when we reached there it was closed.

So we noted the timings and decided to come back later.

But on the way down an angry elderly man stopped us.

He said “I saw you both walking up hill and I was behind you and I was trying to tell you the shop was closed but you young people never listen to elders blah blah blah”

I was shocked! Why was he shouting at me?

My husband and I did not hear him call out to us partly because there were many people also walking and it was not all that quiet.

I was wondering what was the need to shout?

Couldn’t he tell us “I was trying to tell you but I think you could not hear me..”

But anyway I did not tell the old man anything because he actually thought I was a young person!LOL

This is what I am saying..why do people in Ashrams or people who follow a religious life get so angry easily? They seem to be always looking for faults of others

Why the Angry Bird Syndrome?

Re: The Angry Bird Syndrome

Vannakkam,

I've never faced this before but have seen others falling into this situation. From what I've observed, it's most definitely always the holier-than-thou attitude. Nothing else could probably justify them in doing this other than their self-righteous behaviour.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam: I've seen this too, and I'm never sure. Smiles are often generated by happiness ... not so much by contentment. So it is possible you were mistaken. Maybe he was deaf, and deaf people do speak louder than others.

I know this more because of self-reflection that anything else. I'm a smiler by nature. I walk around smiling a lot. Probably 20 times in my life a close colleague or friend has approached me and said, 'What's wrong?" They were so used to the smiling that they figured if I wasn't smiling, something was wrong. That was far from the truth. I'd be concentrating on the day, thinking about something, or maybe a bit tired ... that's not grumpy, that's just normal.

I've seen temples where rules are being enforced (like silence, private spaces, phones ringing) and the 'devotee' who was asked to stop whatever then thinks the manager was grumpy. Well.....??

So the moral is that it is possible to misinterpret. Now, it there's action or words going on that indicate anger, then that's a different story.

In ashrams, many people spend time in silence, working on themselves, or sometimes may be under vows, tapas, fasting, etc. Depends on the nature of the place. So that's all a possibility.

But I get the point. If a place is grumpy all the time, there's something wrong, and it's probably not a great place to hang about it. Those vibes rub off. We want to come away from such places uplifted.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I have never noticed such a thing with those who are religious. In fact the opposite.

If they don't smile at you why not take the first step and you smile at them. 9 out of 10, people will smile back.

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Namaste all members,

I had noted that those who seem to profess religion strictly almost never ever smile.

I used to visit an Ashram in India where the staff working there were always getting angry easily.
    Why the Angry Bird Syndrome?
    satay

This is why the Bad Piggies are superior!

...sorry if this derails the thread. I just had to.

Namaste and hello,

How can I complain otherwise?

We always have strong conviction that we are not part of the problem or have nothing less and all perfect but others are not!

My experience is different... Someone who cannot even speak English or the language I can talk was so excited and thrilled to see me coming to visit the temple in the remote village of srisi in Karnataka. The tulsi beed I have is a gift from someone I met just once for less than an hr. The Krshna books was shared by a devotee in Boston who wanted me to speak about the book content even though he knew every single word in those books. A full night Gita discussion with a fellow passenger in the bus who is ordant devotee of madhva is a treasure to remember. I am sure most of the visitors here are very pleasant natured and I still remember long list of mellowed down people who I have interacted here and also on hindunet.

If you seek negative, you experience only negative! Even the genuine concern of someone sounds negative because????

Hare krshna
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 September 2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added salutation

Delusion also seems like happiness.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Delusion also seems like happiness.
    Possibly only for the deluded.
    satay

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post

If you seek negative, you experience only negative!

Hare krshna
    This is true all around regardless of area of operation i.e. religion, business, mundane life. Yet we cannot ignore that there are some genuinely angry people in the world. Someone once told me to ignore them and let them be. They are on a different journey. 'Life' is too short to worry about them.
    satay

My experience has been the opposite - I have seen folks much kinder and pleasant to interact at shrines & ashrams. In larger temples (like Tirupathi or Palani) , I have seen folks hurrying others. I don’t have an issue with that. It is part of crowd management.

I don’t expect much in the way of how others behave towards me. Everyone has ups & downs in their day to day life. I don’t expect my presence to light up their mood all the times. If they are grumpy (in rare cases) , I assume they had a rough day and pass on.

Usually when I am around temples or ashrams , mentally I elevate the position of the staff. Though it is quite possible that I may be wealthier and more educated , I do not let it get in the way of how I interact with them. Their wealth & knowledge falls in a different realm. I guess that this shows in my demeanor and solicits pleasant responses! Try this next time & see whether this works for you.

Thread Information