Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green meteor SF Bay Area

Green Meteor SF Bay Area

Namaste

Tonight I observed a stunning green meteor streak downward at a tremendous speed, coming down from an angle of 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock, first as a stunning green and white tear shaped streak at 12 o'clock high and as it came down to 4 o'clock the back-end fanned out like a trailing Chinese hand fan but dimmer than the head which turned shocking green-white then as the fan burst the head kind of suddenly seemed to disappear in a flash.

The most stunning part was how the trailing fan came out the back as it got close to the horizon and caused an odd little bar of white light spike 90 degrees through the head like an arrow through the head of a pig.

I had seen this very similar thing decades ago, also green. This was no firework. Then my wife told me just now, that it was reported in the local news of this green streak which they believe was a meteor.

What an odd day and night, with the event in Russia, then the forecasted asteroid, then right before my eyes this stunning display in the sky out of nowhere.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Green Meteor SF Bay Area

Namaste

Now I find some of the media coverage on this event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sZJx9eJ7tY

I must have been very close, since it was extremely bright green, with a long streak, and as I said a "Chinese hand fan" appeared around it as it got to the horizon. What I saw was large from the perspective of my viewpoint, in the sky it looked about the size of a small coin, larger than what was caught on video.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste,

It must have been some sight to behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpTOc1i8_8

Nothing divine about it though. It is just floating debris entering the earth's atmosphere and burning up with the heat created by friction.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

It must have been some sight to behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpTOc1i8_8

Nothing divine about it though. It is just floating debris entering the earth's atmosphere and burning up with the heat created by friction.
    That's not divine?

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    That's not divine?
    With the thread being posted in the Jyotish forum instead of in a current event type of forum, maybe there was a hint of this happening changing the direction of one's destiny or some such thing. It was in that context that I made the comment. Some may interpret a burning meteorite to indicate some divine intervention in their lives, but I tend to look at it as just what it is - space debris burning up; without it having any personal effect on me. Others are free to interpret this event as they wish. I am not trying to change any minds here. Just expressing my view. Everything happens per the divine wish, but everything that happens does not in any way affect me.

Pranam.

Ketu ...

हरिः ओम्

Namaste ShivaFan,

How wonderful! I would love to have seen it too. I have seen some news footage of a Green comet over Texas, I wonder if they are the
    same meteor? If you can give me your location and the approximate direction from a compass to within a few s, maybe we can calculate
    which Nakshatra it appeared in from your location?

I have no idea as to the traditional Jyoitsha's distinction between Comet and meteor; it is interesting to note that modern science is studying
    them as a possible origin of life on Earth; some have suggested that Man may never have taken dominion on this planet; without their assistance in
    removing the dinosaurs, we are somewhat at their whim. They are capable of creating year long winters or worse ...
    I think it is fundamentally the colour, tail and duration of the visit which defines them and then their position and direction.

Chapter 11 of Varahamihira's brihat samhita, classifies comets into several types and tells of their effects, they are said to be Ketu ...

I have not yet studied this renowned astrological work, but it is considered to be a classic of the limb of the vedanga that is Jyotish.

Rather typically of Kāli Yuga; the only consideration given to this event, is it's immediate material worth.

Here is an interesting article by Pandit Sanjay Rath, on the Russian Chelyabinsk Meteor ...

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Last edited by Mana; 17 February 2013 at 06:31 AM.

Re: Green meteor SF Bay Area

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast

For those interested...
    About 40,000 to 80,000 tons of meteors are deposited on the earth each year. This year, we're just little ahead of schedule .

List of ~regular~ meteor showers during the year:
    http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors
    iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    About 40,000 to 80,000 tons of meteors are deposited on the earth each year.
    40-80K tons of meteors - actually deposited on the earth, or entering the earth's atmosphere?

Pranam.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

Quite, 60,000 tonnes, that is a lot of space dust, and many shooting stars, which of course there are.
    A very valid point YajvanJi! Scale it would seem, is key in the differentiation of these phenomenon.
    Should we wish to make any eventual calculation of frequency.

The Earth is completely surrounded by debris and meteorites; it is extremely rare though, that anything big get through to earth;
    This is due to the attraction of Jupiter's enormous gravitational well. Here we see the full extent to which are truly blessed by guru.

This may also explain the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars, at a point of gravitational equilibrium perhaps?

It is the timing of these events which fascinate me the most, rather than their actual physical occurrence; for relative
    astronomical reasons.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Last edited by Mana; 18 February 2013 at 07:35 AM.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Believer,

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

With the thread being posted in the Jyotish forum instead of in a current event type of forum, maybe there was a hint of this
    happening changing the direction of one's destiny or some such thing.
    If we ask the meeker creatures of this planet; they will testify that the tyranny of dinosaurs could only have
    been ended by such events; meteors then have greatly effect the lives of many beings in myriad ways.

With all due respect, Triskanda Jyotish comprises of three sub groups, only one of which is hora shastra; I believe that Ketu's
    relate directly to mundane astrology and sahmita.

I am a little surprised that this thread has been moved.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Last edited by Mana; 18 February 2013 at 06:43 AM.

Thread Information