Thread: What will you do on coming ShivarAtri ?

Hybrid View

What will you do on coming ShivarAtri ?

Namaste friends,

ShivarAtri is here on 20th February. It will be interesting to know what everyone of us is going to do on that day.

So, what are you planning to do on coming ShivarAtri ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: What will you do on coming ShivarAtri ?

Namaste,

With the grace of GOD, I would like to do Mantra Jap. I like to recite Shivsahsranmam and evening time will go to temple for milk abhishek. This 24 hours are very good for spiritual groth. So will collect spirituality as much as I can but need help of GOD also to put this plan in implementation.
    Last edited by AmIHindu; 16 February 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

I am not a devotee of Lord Shiva, though I pray to Him, believing what is written in Brahma samhita 5:45 Shivararti (link to the analogy of milk to yogurt). I am going to fast as I do for Ekadasi, just some milk and fruits.

I found this interesting, which made my decision for me to fast and pray to Lord Shiva on Shivaratri: Shivararti (link to the full article)

NOTE: the Vaishnava/ aspiring Vaishnava however, worships Lord Shiva on this day in order to receive His blessings to become a better devotee of Lord Krishna (Vishnu) and not to attain residence in the abode of Shiva.

śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste all.

Unfortunately I must work on this auspicous day, and my job requires heavy lifting, and a lot of running around, so I'm afriad I can not observe the fast in full. Hopefully eating small simple vegetarian meals, will produce some benefit to me analogous to the benefit one achieves from fasting. I will definitely be doing mantra jaap, and some meditating later in the evening.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste

I have been very sick recently so I do not think I will be able to attend the service or the vigil which is a huge let down for me. They were things I was greatly looking forward to even if I generally have no idea of what's going on during the service.

I will definitely not be allowed to fast on the day, like I was planning, It's all very saddening.

Namaste AmIHindu, TBTL and Baobob,

Good to know of your plans ! I was planning of going to Baba VishvanAth temple for abhishekam. However, there is news that administration is expecting some 250,000 devotees in the temple that day from all over India (may be from abroad too).

So, my ShivarAtri will be at home by abhishekam of the Shivalinga, japa and bhajans.

Dear DK, I am sorry to learn that you were not well. I hope you recover fast.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    Namaste

I have been very sick recently so I do not think I will be able to attend the service or the vigil which is a huge let down for me. They were things I was greatly looking forward to even if I generally have no idea of what's going on during the service.

I will definitely not be allowed to fast on the day, like I was planning, It's all very saddening.
    I believe the very fact that you are disappointed you cannot participate pleases Lord Shiva more than words can say, and He is smiling at your devotion. It is probably more pleasing to Him than the thousands of people who attend worship without a clue as to why they are there.

A story:

As an example, there is a story in Mahabharatha. Arjuna was performing regularly pooja for Athma lingam, but his brother were not doing the same. He felt very proud of his devotional worship to God. As Sri Krishna wanted to control his ego, took him to Mount Kailash, the abode of Shiva. The Arjuna saw large number of baskets of flowers being carried by the Boothaganas. When Arjuna asked Sri Krishna about it, He asked Arjuna to check himself with those carrying the flowers. He stopped one of them asked about it. He got the reply that one of the Pancha Pandavas named Bheema who has been offering these flowers in a pure heart to the lord which they are carrying. Arjuna asked Sri Krishna that if the pure heart flowers of Bheema who does not ever sit down to worship is this much, how much will it be for his own Athmalinga pooja which is performed every day. Sri Krishna asked the Bhoothagana to show Arjuna his portion of the flowers offered. They showed a small mound of flowers lying in one corner. Arjuna asked Sri Krishna to explain this disparity. Sri Krishna explained that, Bheema is thinking of God at all times and whenever he sees a flower garden, he mentally offers all the flowers to Siva as his offering and so it reaches Siva the very next moment. Thus, Sri Krishna explains the Inner self pooja called antharyagam.

Another story:

Once Narada muni went to Krishna and wanted to check with Him as to who was His dearmost devotee. Narada Muni thought that Krishna will tell himself to be the dearmost as he was always singing Krishnas names and glories using his transcendental veena. But to his surprise Krishna pointed out to a poor farmer and said that he was his dearmost. Narada muni observed that the poor farmer was not very literate person, nor did he know any shlokas. Only thing which the farmer was doing was that both in the morning and in the evening, that is before going to work and after returning from work he simply called out Krishnas names and prayed for few minutes. Narada muni was puzzled that how could Krishna choose the farmer as His dearmost devotee. To make him realise, Krishna asked Narada muni to keep a vessel of oil on his head, walk for a few miles and circumambulate a well and then return back to Him without spilling the oil on the ground. He also instructed Narada not to use his hands to hold the vessel. Narada muni could not understand what kind of task this was. But he was very particular that he should not spill the oil. With great difficulty he balanced the oil vessel on his head and came back to Krishna after circumambulating the well. When he came back Krishna asked Narada Muni "Now tell me -how many times did you think about Me, when you were having the vessel on your head." Narada Muni replied that he hardly remembered Krishna at that time as his whole concentration was on the oil vessel. Krishna smiled at him and said - "Just like how you were engrossed in the work I gave you, the poor farmer is also carrying out his prescribed duties with full attention and by calling out My names. Even though he does not know as many shlokas as you do, the simplicity and sincerity of purpose is what that matters to Me."

And may Lord Dhanvantari speed your recovery.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information