Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb questions: Chanting Hare Krishna and believing in Shankara?

Re: Dumb questions: Chanting Hare Krishna and believing in Shankara?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Namaste,

can one chant Hare Krishna and at the same time study Shankara's philosophy? Or is one obliged to a tradition (such as, for example, Gaudiya Vaishnava), with the "obligation" to accept the whole package?

Hoping for insights ...
    Hello,
    Do you have a guru?If yes then he is saksat Parabrahma.He will be the best person to answer all your religious,spiritual and philosophical queries.
    Regards.

Re: Dumb questions: Chanting Hare Krishna and believing in Shankara?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    Namaste,

can one chant Hare Krishna and at the same time study Shankara's philosophy? Or is one obliged to a tradition (such as, for example, Gaudiya Vaishnava), with the "obligation" to accept the whole package?

Hoping for insights ...
    Namaste
    I dont think Lord Vishnu is exclusively the father of the gaudiyas because as far as i know He is the father of the entire creation
    And regarding the obligation. Let me tell you one thing
    What works for me might not work for you. And you dont have to accept the interpretations of any sect unless you personally experience them.
    Il give you my personal experience.

I was into this gaudiya sect a few years back.
    i used to love listening to one particular singer whose bhajans left me teary eyed. I used to listen to the mantra sung by him all the time. And out of emotion i started to believe that the singer must be a divine person for leaving me teary eyed after listening to his bhajans. Then one final day i met the singer. I told him how much my krishna consciousness improved because of him and that i used to cry all day listening to his bhajans. He was a 60 plus singer and as usual i mentally presumed him to be a pure devotee. But to my shock he introduced me to his 18year old wife who was fit to be his granddaughter.

So what i realized was all the respect i had for him was a result of the my tendency of getting brainwashed.. I conveniently presumed that this guy was a pure devotee just because his bhajans made me emotional. Also i realized that crying and having tears when i listen to songs or see a deity is not spirituality but just an expression of my own ego with all its limitations.
    I am not judging the singer but i am judging my misjudgement. Emotions make a person believe the worst things and untrue things.
    From that day on i decided not to take things on face value. Things arent what they appear to be.
    I even believed their concocted philosophy that says "advaita is the aura of krishna but krishna is the supreme god and advaita is secondary to His personal form of worship"
    I never even for once tried to assess the merit of this foolish statement. And this is the first step of getting brainwashed.

So you can chant the mantra on your own and you can also accept a sect but make sure you keep your intelligence open. And you are the best judge and never let others talk for you and dont let people brainwash you as that is the first step to sinking down to the rungs of ignorance. While you might hear many statements that a guru is important ,,i feel all that applies only to a real guru and i havent met any real guru yet. And if you dont find a proper guru you can take Krishna Himself as He is jagadguru

Thread Information