Thread: How devi durga got Her name

How devi durga got Her name

Namaste
    Here is the exact word to word translation on how Mother Parvati got the name Durga. Im posting this because there has been a lot of confusion regarding Durga being a combination of Parvati Lakshmi and Saraswati.Also there are some beautiful prayers offered by the devas,beautiful both in terms of content and grammar.I kept some of the shlokas too so we can delve on the intent
    This chapter also extols Parvati as the mother of Vishnu and Brahma
    - from Devi Bhagavatam (7.28)

http://www.greenmesg.org/mantras_slo..._mahatmyam.php

Devi Shakambari

1 & 2. King Janmejaya asked: Why is the Devi Shivaa(consort of Shiva)known as Satakshi
    3 & 4. Sage Vyasa said: O King, I will tell you the whole story:
    4.1: O King, Listen to the Auspicious Story I am telling, about the origin of the name Shatakshi,
    4.2: There is nothing to withhold from you; there is nothing which cannot be made known to a Devi Bhakta (Devotee) like you.
    5 & 6. Once there was a great demon known as Durgama who was very wicked
    7 & 8. To get the Vedas, he did penance in the Himalayas and meditated on Sri Brahma for thousand years
    9 & 10. Pleased with his penance, Sri Brahma came to him
    11 & 12. Durgama asked as boon the Vedas which were with the Brahmins and the Devas
    13 & 14. Durgama also asked for great strength to defeat the Devas; Sri Brahma granted the boons
    15 & 16. From that time the Brahmins forgot the Vedas and all sacrificial oblations stopped
    17 & 18. Without their part of havis from sacrificial oblations the Devas became weak; the asuras attacked
    19 & 20. The Devas bereft of strength were defeated; they fled and hid in remote mountain caves
    21 & 22. Without sacrificial oblations there were no rains and a great draught ensued
    23 & 24. Many people and animals died; the Brahmins left for Himalayas to meditate on the Divine Mother Shivaa(consort of Shiva)
    25 & 26. The Brahmins meditated and worshipped without taking any food; they cried "Have mercy on us O Mother"
    27 & 28. The Brahmins cried: "Remove Your anger O Mother, there is no other refuge for us"
    Meaning:
    27.1: "Remove Your Anger, O Deveshi (the Lord of Gods), You are present as Antaryami (knower and regulator of our inner feelings) of everyone",
    27.2: "In what manner you Impel, in that manner People Act",
    28.1: "There is no other Refuge for us, for we people; what are You looking again and again?"
    28.2: "You have the Power to do whatever You wish, O Maheswari."

29 & 30. The Brahmins prayed: "Save us O Mother, from this great calamity, You are the Lord of innumerable universes"
    Meaning:
    29.1: "Save us, O Maheshani, Save us from this Critical Condition which has arisen",
    29.2: "Without Water, How shall we be able to continue our life, O Ambika?"
    30.1: "Please be Gracious, O Maheshani, Please be Gracious, O Jagadambika?"
    30.2: "We Salute You again and again, You Who are the Lord of innumerable Millions of Universes."

31 & 32. The Brahmins praised: "O Mother, You are the Pure Consciousness and the cause behind everything"
    Namah Kuuttastham-Ruupaayai Cid-Ruupaayai Namo Namah |
    Namo Vedaanta-Vedyaayai Bhuvane[a-I]shyai Namo Namah ||31||
    Neti Neti-Iti Vaakyairyaa Bodhyate Sakala-Agamaih |
    Taam Sarva-Kaarannaam Deviim Sarva-Bhaavena San-Nataah ||32||
    Meaning:
    31.1: Salutations to You, Who is of the Form of Kutashtha (Consciousness Meditated between Eyebrows), Salutations, Salutations to You Who is of the Form of Pure Consciousness,
    31.2: Salutations to You, Who is Known through Vedanta, Salutations, Salutations to You, Who is Bhuvaneshwari (the Goddess of the Universe),
    32.1: Salutations to You, Who is made Known by all the Agamas with the word expressions of Neti Neti (Not this, Not this),
    32.2: O Devi, You are the Cause behind Everything, all Bhavas (devotional feelings) Bow down to You.

33 & 34. The Devi Parvati manifested Herself with a Divine Form with innumerable eyes"

इति संप्रार्थिता देवी भुवनेशी महेश्वरी ।
    अनंताक्षिमयं रूपं दर्शयामास पार्वती ॥३३॥
    नीलांजनसमप्रख्यं नीलपद्मायतेक्षणम् ।
    सुकर्कशसमोत्तुङ्गवृत्तपीनघनस्तनम् ॥३४॥
    Iti Sam-Praarthitaa Devii Bhuvane(a-Ii)shii Mahe[a-Ii]shvarii |
    Ananta-Akssimayam Ruupam Darshayaamaasa Paarvatii ||33||
    Niilaanjana-Sama-Prakhyam Niila-Padma-Ayate[i-A]kssannam |
    Su-Karkasha-Samo[a-U]ttungga-Vrtta-Piina-Ghana-Stanam ||34||

Meaning:
    33.1: Thus, when the Brahmins Prayed together to the Devi Bhuvaneshi Maheswari, ...
    33.2: ... Devi Parvati Manifested Herself in a Divine Form shining with innumerable Eyes,
    34.1: Her Color was distinct like the Dark-Blue Collyrium, and Her Eyes were wide like Blue Lotuses,
    34.2: Her Breasts were High, Firm and Round.

35 & 36. She was holding an arrow, lotus and Fruits, Vegetables, Sprouts and Roots"

37 & 38. She, resplendant like million suns and with nectar-like compassion, shed tears of rain for nine nights"

Militvaa Sa-Suraa Vipraa Deviim Samabhi-Tussttuvuh |
    Namo Vedaanta-Vedye Te Namo Brahma-Svaruupinni ||41||
    Sva-Maayayaa Sarva-Jagad-Vidhaatryai Te Namo Namah |
    Bhakta-Kalpadrume Devi Bhakta-Artham Deha-Dhaarinnii ||42||
    Meaning:
    41.1: The Devas united themselves with the Brahmins and together they began to Praise the Devi,
    41.2: Salutations to You, Who is Known through the Vedanta, Salutations to You, Who is of the Nature of Brahman,
    42.1: Salutations, Salutations to You Who has Created all the Worlds through Her Own Power of Maya,
    42.2: O Devi, You are the Wish-Fulfilling Tree of the Devotee, and for the sake of the Devotees, You have assumed a Form.

43 & 44. They said: "Because You have manifested innumerable Eyes, O Devi, You will be known as Shatakshi"
    Nitya-Trpte Niruupame Bhuvane[a-Ii]shvari Te Namah |
    Asmac-Chaanty[i]-Artham-Atulam Locanaanaam Sahasrakam ||43||
    Tvayaa Yato Dhrtam Devi Shata-Akssii Tvam Tato Bhava |
    Kssudhayaa Piidditaa Maatah Stotum-Shaktir-Na Ca-Asti Nah ||44||

Meaning:
    43,1: Salutations to You, Who is Eternally Satisfied, Who is Beyond any Comparison and Who is the Goddess of the Universe,
    43.2: You have assumed Thousand Eyes for bringing Incomparable Peace,
    44.1: Because You have Manifested in this Form with innumerable Eyes, O Devi, Therefore You will be known as "Shatakshi" (literally means hundred eyes),
    44.2: We are afflicted by Hunger, O Mother, and do not have further strength to Extol You.

45 & 46. Seeing their hunger, the Divine Mother gave them tasteful Fruits and Vegetables from Her own hands
    47 & 48. Because She gave freshly produced Fruits and Vegetables filled with abundant juices, She was known as Shakambhari
    49 & 50. Coming to know of this, the demon Durgama encircled them with a huge army; the Devas and Brahmins cried in fear
    51 & 52. The Divine Mother protected the Devas and the Brahmins by creating a protective circle of light around them
    53 & 54. A terrible battle ensued between the Devi and Daityas where the rain of arrows covered the sky and emitted fire

55 & 56. Then the Divine Mother manifested from Her Body the great Maha Shaktis
    Kaalikaa Taarinnii Baalaa Tripuraa Bhairavii Ramaa |
    Bagalaa Caiva Maatamgii Tathaa Tripurasundarii ||55||
    Kaamaakssii Tulajaa Devi Jambhinii Mohinii Tathaa |
    Chinnamastaa Guhyakaalii Dasha-Saahasra-Baahukaa ||56||
    Meaning:
    55.1: The Maha Shaktis are: Devi Kalika, Devi Tarini, Devi Tripura Bala, Devi Tripura Bhairavi, Devi Ramaa, ...
    55.2: ... Devi Bagala and Devi Matangi, as well as Devi Tripura Sundari ...
    56.1: ... and also Devi Kamakshi, Devi Tulaja, Devi Jambhini, Devi Mohini, ...
    56.1: ... and Devi Chinnamastha; also Guhya Kalis with ten-thousand arms emerged from the body of Devi Shakambhari.
    57 & 58. The battle field resounded with various musical instruments; the Maha Shaktis started rapidly destroying the army of Durgama
    59 & 60. Seeing this Durgama came forward to fight; by the tenth day all army of Durgama was destroyed
    61 & 62. On the eleventh day, Durgama showed great valour and subdued the Maha Shaktis to have a direct encounter with the Maha Devi
    63 & 64. A terrible fight ensued between the Devi and Durgama which lasted for two praharas;
    65 & 66. The arrows pierced Durgama; he fell down, vomitted blood and died
    67 & 68. The spirit of Durgama merged with Devi; peace ensued in the three worlds, and the Gods praised the Devi with voice choked with emotion

69 & 70. The Devas eulogized: "Salutations to the auspicious Shakambhari, Salutations to Shatakshi with hundred eyes"
    देवा ऊचुः
    Devaa Uucuh
    Jagad-Bhrama-Vivartai[a-E]ka-Kaaranne Parame[a-Ii]shvari |
    Namah Shaakambhari Shive Namaste Shata-Locane ||69||
    Sarvo[a-U]panissad-Udghusstte Durgama-Asura-Naashini |
    Namo Maahe[a-Ii]shvari Shive Pan.ca-Kosha-Antara-Sthite ||70||
    Meaning:
    The Devas said:
    69.1: O Parameshwari, You are the One Cause behind the Delusions and Transformations in the World,
    69.2: Salutations to the Auspicious Shakambhari, Salutations to the One with Hundred Eyes (Shatakshi),
    70.1: Salutations to the One Who is Proclaimed by all the Upanishads and Who is the destroyer of Durgamasura,
    70.2: Salutations to the Auspicious Maheshwari Who Abides in the Interior of the Five Koshas (i.e. the five sheaths of the body).

71 & 72. The Devas eulogized: "Salutations to Her Who is Nirvikalpa, Pranavaswarupa and to whom all devotional feelings bow down"

चेतसा निर्विकल्पेन यां ध्यायंति मुनीश्वराः ।
    प्रणवार्थस्वरूपां तां भजामो भुवनेश्वरीम् ॥७१॥
    अनन्तकोटिब्रह्माण्डजननीं दिव्यविग्रहाम् ।
    ब्रह्मविष्ण्वादिजननीं सर्वभावैर्नता वयम् ॥७२॥
    Cetasaa Nir-Vikalpena Yaam Dhyaayamti Muni-[i]ishvaraah |
    Prannavaartha-Svaruupaam Taam Bhajaamo Bhuvane[a-Ii]shvariim ||71||
    Ananta-Kotti-Brahmaanndda-Jananiim Divya-Vigrahaam |
    Brahma-Vissnnv[u]-Aadi-Jananiim Sarva-Bhaavair-Nataa Vayam ||72||

Meaning:
    71.1: Salutations to Her, Who is the Consciousness which is free from Change (Nirvikalpa), and Who is Meditated upon by the Great Sages,
    71.2: Salutations to Her Who is the Embodiment of Pranava (Om); We Worship the Bhuvaneshwari (the Goddess of the Universe),
    72.1: Salutations to Her, Who is the Mother of innumerable Millions of Brahmandas (Universes), and Who has a Divine Form,
    72.2: Salutations to Her Who is the Mother of Sri Brahma, Sri Vishnu and Others, and to Whom all Bhavas (Devotional Feelings) Bow down.

73 & 74. The Devas said: "Who else will cry at the distress of even the fallen except Mother Shatakshi?"

कः कुर्यात्पामरान्दृष्ट्वा रोदनं सकलेश्वरः ।
    सदयां परमेशानीं शताक्षीं मातरं विना ॥७३॥
    व्यास उवाच
    इति स्तुता सुरैर्देवी ब्रह्मविष्णवादिभिर्वरैः ।
    पूजिता विविधैर्द्रव्यैः संतुष्टाऽभूच्च तत्क्षणे ॥७४॥
    Kah Kuryaat-Paamaraan-Drssttvaa Rodanam Sakale[a-Ii]shvarah |
    Sadayaam Parame[a-Ii]shaaniim Shataakssiim Maataram Vinaa ||73||
    Iti Stutaa Surair-Devii Brahma-Vissnnav[u]-Aadibhir-Varaih |
    Puujitaa Vividhair-Dravyaih Santussttaa-Abhu-Ucca Tat-Kssanne ||74||
    Meaning:
    73.1: Who else will Cry looking at the distress of even the Fallen, O Goddess of All, ...
    73.2: ... apart from the Merciful Supreme Mother Goddess Shatakshi?
    74.1: Thus when the great Brahma, Vishnu and other Devas Praised the Devi, ...
    74.2: ... and Worshipped Her with various materials, She became highly Pleased, immediately.

75 & 76. The Devi graciously pleased gave them the Vedas and told the Brahmins to take special care of them

77 & 78. The Devi said: "Worship Me always, Serve Me always and read My Mahatmyam; I will take away your misfortunes"

पूज्याऽहं सर्वदा सेव्या युष्माभि सर्वदैव हि ।
    नात परतरं किंचित्कल्याणायोपदिश्यते ॥७७॥
    पठनीयं ममैतद्धि माहात्म्यं सर्वदोत्तमम् ।
    तेन तुष्टा भविष्यामि हरिष्यामि तथाऽऽपद ॥७८॥
    Puujya-Aham Sarvadaa Sevyaa Yussmaabhi Sarvada-Eva |
    Naata Parataram Kimcit-Kalyaannaayo[a-U]padishyate ||77||
    Patthaniiyam Mamai[a-E]taddhi Maahaatmyam Sarvado[a-U]ttamam |
    Tena Tussttaa Bhavissyaami Harissyaami Tatha-Apada ||78||

Meaning:
    77.1: Worship Me always, and Serve Me always, all of You in this manner,
    77.2: There is nothing greater in bestowing Good Fortune than this Instruction,
    78.1: Read this, My Mahatmyam, always, which is most Excellent,
    78.2: By It, I will become Pleased and Manifest and take away your Misfortunes in this manner.

79 & 80. The Devi said: "He who takes my name Durga and Shatakshi will pierce through my Maya and walk free"

दुर्गमासुरहन्त्रींत्वाद्दुर्गेति मम नाम यः ।
    गृह्णाति च शताक्षीति मायां भित्त्वा व्रजत्यसौ ॥७९॥
    किमुक्तेनात्र बहुना सारं वक्ष्यामि तत्त्वतः ।
    संसेव्याऽहं सदा देवा सर्वैरति सुरासुरैः ॥८०॥
    Durgam-Aasura-Hantriim-Tvaad-Durge[a-I]ti Mama Naama Yah |
    Grhnnaati Ca Shata-Akssi-Iti Maayaam Bhittvaa Vrajaty[i]-Asau ||79||
    Kim-Uktena-Atra Bahunaa Saaram Vakssyaami Tattvatah |
    Samsevya-Aham Sadaa Devaa Sarvairati Sura-Asuraih ||80||

Meaning:
    79.1: He Who takes My Name "Durga", which is given because I slayed Asura Durgama, ...
    79.2: ... and My Name "Shatakshi", which is given because I manifested Hundred Eyes, will Pierce through My Maya, and Walk Free,
    80.1: With what utterances can I Speak about the Real Essence (of Me) behind the Multiplicity, ...
    80.2: ... (Know that) I am the only God (being the essence underlying everything) Who is always Worshipped by the Suras (Devas) and the Asuras (Demons).

81 & 82. Thus saying the Devi disappeared filling the hearts of all with great joy and contentment
    83. He who listens to this Mahatmyam with earnest devotion with attain all wishes and finally be blissful in the Devi Loka

Thus Ends the 28th Chapter of the 7th Skanda of Srimad Devi Bhagavad Mahapurana.
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 09 July 2014 at 10:42 AM.

Thread Information