Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Hanuman ji had to fly over the ocean?

Re: Why Hanuman ji had to fly over the ocean?

Anirudh

Very thought provoking question. I too used to have such questions while reading Sundara Kandam. One such qn is: Sampathi tells the Vaanaras that he is able to clearly see beyond the 100 yojanas and actually see a woman ill-clad͵ seated beneath a Simsapa tree and surrounded by Rakshasis. It must be Seetha only. Now in the Sundara Kanda Hanuman expends enormous energy and searches the entire palace of Ravana as well as the Paana-bhumi etc. He initially mistakes Queen Mandodari for Seetha.At one point we see Hanuman actually becoming despondent and pondering suicide by prayopavesha.

Another question is with regard to the ordering of certain chapters in the book. One chapter ends with Seetha depressed and the next chapter finds her getting happy tidings. The Chapter after that takes up the depression angle again and she decides to commit suicide!

No dearth of questions really!

On the other hand hereʹs where I am presently at͵ as a student of Sundara kandam. I feel such queries are part and parcel of our learning/relishing process and the answers are not necessarily available presently. But sometimes answers do come up right when I am in an entirely different chapter. So Sundara Kandam has not behaved like a book͵ it has become a process....

Re: Why Hanuman ji had to fly over the ocean?

Namaste Harih,

From the post, I assume you have found your answers. In case, you haven't let me share my understanding.

I found that Every Sarga of Sundara Kaandam has more meaning than meets the eye.

Every Sarga has a theme. Then it explains a specific problem(s). Then it presents solution to problem(s).

Knower of four Vedas is a great soul. Kishkindha Kaandam 3rd Sarga explains it. Hanuman ji is a knower of four Vedas, yet he slips. Why?

Kindly pay attention to the events, location, and the nature of the actors involved in that event.
    Anirudh...

Thread Information