Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mangalsutra

Re: Mangalsutra

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieJoh View Post
    There maybe reasons for the Mangalsutra but can anyone tell me? They are not actually in any scripture (I've looked relentlessly).
    Do you see it as a symbol of your faith? Do you see it representing more than a wedding ring?
    Vannakkam: I can't give you a reason for why it's so important. There are lots of things that Hindus think are very important, but can't really explain them, other than 'that's the way it is'. However, most of us do trust that there must be a reason.

In many communities, the pendant is designed in a specific way, perhaps to honour a specific tradition. My wife's is this way. Also, as Renuka said, the ritual itself is part of the wedding samskara. There are 16 traditional samskaras (passages in life) and the wedding is one of the main ones. The mantras that are said may well have a deeper mystical meaning, and esoterically it may help in the marriage's strengths. I'm not really sure though.

Mystically, it may invoke and 'hold' a particular helpful deva's attention. But I really don't know about that either.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Firstly if you look at the grammar..the word is badhnAmi..which means "I tie"..
    but in Tamil marriages its the priest that recites this..when technically it should be the groom who should recite this..so one can also ask "Who actually married the bride? The priest or the groom?"
    None of us memorize the verses recited during the marriage ceremony before the event. That is what the priest is for. In a properly conducted ceremony, the priest recites the verse and then prompts the groom or the bride to repeat it. He is the facilitator. In a hurriedly conducted, half-priced ceremony, the priest would just ramble on to finish his job, get paid and then go on to help the next couple waiting to tie the knot. It is up to us to hire someone who can conduct the ceremony properly and not just treat it as an inconvenience in the way of the feast and the honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Now lets look logically..life and death is NOT in our hands.
    Women who wear all signs and symbols of marriage too have become widows..so technically a Mangalsutra is not going to change anyone's Karma when it comes to life and death.
    Since nothing is in our hands and nothing will change with prayers or observances of rituals/traditions, or the acceptance of divinity; why not discard it all? Taking it a step further why not subscribe to Nietzsche's thinking - God is dead, you are all free? Let us close down this forum and go home instead of analyzing everything 'technically' and 'logically' and wasting our lives. Some wise old man said, 'A man who does not enjoy wine, women and song, remains a fool all his life long'. Let us make that as the ultimate truth and bury all else on 'technical' grounds; at least for men.

This idea of forming a sisterhood and claiming to understand a female better on every issue merely because of one's gender, is divisive and so old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    I haven't seen any married Hindu women who don't wear Mangal-Sutra. It should be worn only on Hindu ceremony of marriage in the presence of Brahmana and Devas who are pleased in Yadnyas. If it's worn without this, it just becomes Sutra, not Mangala-Sutra. Sutra can be Mangala-Divine only in the presence of Brahmana and Devata, otherwise, I think, it's no value.

So I'll suggest you there's no need to wear it if you are not Hindu Born
    This is one person's opinion based on their family tradition and should not be taken as an insult by those who are not 'born Hindus'.
    To make a claim that 'I haven't seen any married Hindu women who don't wear Mangal-Sutra', one has led a very sheltered life and never stepped out of his front door to see the grinding poverty of India. And each one of those poor masses wear a mangal-sooter? That is a joke that makes me cry!

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 18 July 2014 at 04:48 PM.

PranAm Renuka & Maggie

It's just a symbol
    I think this is not Hindu perception. I guess Maggie is interested in Hindu's perception. No one should compare it with metal ring which has no any divinity.

Mangalasutra is not a symbol or identity of being married. It's some divine existence. It's worn by husband in the presence of Brahmana & deva. So how can it be just symbol?

In a Mangalsutra the two golden cups are hollow from one side and is raised on the other side. The Mangalsutra is worn with the hollow side facing the body so that the positive energies are attracted towards the void of the cups. This helps to keep the body and mind healthy. By wearing the Mangalsutra, the woman gains energy and power. It connects the body to the divine Shakti which resides in the body in the form of an element, fire. This gives the woman the energy to take care of the entire family and well-being of each member.

However As I believe, Wearing Mangasutra is for Hindus only or for them who have married according vaidik ceremony.

PranAm Renuka & Maggie

I think this is not Hindu perception. I guess Maggie is interested in Hindu's perception. No one should compare it with metal ring which has no any divinity.

Mangalasutra is not a symbol or identity of being married. It's some divine existence. It's worn by husband in the presence of Brahmana & deva. So how can it be just symbol?

In a Mangalsutra the two golden cups are hollow from one side and is raised on the other side. The Mangalsutra is worn with the hollow side facing the body so that the positive energies are attracted towards the void of the cups. This helps to keep the body and mind healthy. By wearing the Mangalsutra, the woman gains energy and power. It connects the body to the divine Shakti which resides in the body in the form of an element, fire. This gives the woman the energy to take care of the entire family and well-being of each member.

However As I believe, Wearing Mangasutra is for Hindus only or for them who have married according vaidik ceremony.
    Dear Krishna ji,

Pranams to you,

A ring and a Mangalsutra are both symbols to denote marriage status.
    If you melt both ..both will be reduced to a liquid state..so technically its material.

Divinity is Achala and Nirakara..it never changes state from solid to liquid.

I prefer to see marriage as a social contract between a man and woman and not add or subtract divinity and complicate the matter.

Regards

BTW not all communities have the hollow cup Mangalsutra..most Tamils have the M shaped Mangalsutra..no cups.

Vannakkam: I believe there are tons of regional variations.

Aum Namasivaya

. By wearing the Mangalsutra, the woman gains energy and power. It connects the body to the divine Shakti which resides in the body in the form of an element, fire. This gives the woman the energy to take care of the entire family and well-being of each member.

Dear Krishnaji,

Namaste,

There are many communities that do not have the Mangalsutra even though they go through a Vadik ceremony.

Even in Ramayan there is no mention about a Mangalsutra when the marriage of Lord Rama takes place but I think only in Kamban Ramayan a mangalsutra is mentioned most probably Kamban would have written it with accordance to the South Indian culture.

In cases where there is no Mangalsutra does that mean the wife does not get the energy channeled to her?
    But life goes on as usual isnt it for everyone that do not have a mangalsutra.

Also just another question..just say hypothetically if a Mangalsutra is supposed to give energy...a male does not wear one..from where does a married male get his energy?

A married male is not an Urdhva Retas..so how and from where does he get his energy?

Namaste Renuka,

The symbol shouldn't be dismissed as "just a symbol". Symbolism can do wonders, as I stated in my earliest post. It matters what you believe in ... when a belief is so strong that it becomes "faith", it can do wonders.

From VedAnta-Gurus we have learnt that thoughts are very powerful creative forces. Any thought is a creative force and if that force is well-channeled and is strong enough will affect the surroundings either favourably or adversely. When a wife wears Mangalsutra with a strong belief (faith) that it will give energy to her conjugal life and her husband ... it doesn't vanish in vain. These positive thoughts act positively (more strongly if wife possesses sattvik gunas and have good karmas) ... not only mentally but also spiritually.

You may not accept it and discard it thinking that you are so well read and educated that accepting anything like that is just a superstition but remember what Lord Krishna said in Bhagwad Gita :

"O' Arjuna, as the unwise act with attachment, so should the wise man, with a view to maintain the world order, act without attachment. (BG 3.25)"

Even if you understand that it is "only a symbol" and it is "just a metal piece", by talking in this manner you are actually attacking a positive faith in a Hindu wife that she carries and thus doing harm to Dharma. Please remember that positive thoughts of a staunch devotee directed towards a piece of stone turns that piece of stone into Shiva.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post

You may not accept it and discard it thinking that you are so well read and educated that accepting anything like that is just a superstition.

dear sir,

Namaste,

I do not discard anything not becos I am think I am educated or well read(I do not consider myself learned) but I am just sharing my opinion on some logical grounds and I am open to suggestions and opinions of others too.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Please remember that positive thoughts of a staunch devotee directed towards a piece of stone turns that piece of stone into Shiva.

OM
    Vannakkam Devotee:

This post reminded me of the Virashaivas. Reduction to symbolism only is a problem in other areas like temple or home murthies.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Members,

Many a times I see religious write ups using the term Positive Energy..even in one of the posts above a member was using the word Positive Energy with regards to Mangalsutra

But does is there such a thing as Positive Energy or Negative Energy or Neutral Energy?

Now just to highlight some points.

As far as I know Paramahansa Yogananda has used to word Lifetrons to describe Prana which He said is negatively charged particles(electrons) in His works God Speaks to Arjuna.

Paramahansa was very specific and His words made perfect sense because Pranamaya Kosha is in between the Annamaya Kosha and the Manomaya Kosha and Prana is responsible for transmission of thoughts from Manomaya Kosha to Annamaya Kosha as a Pranic current.

As we all know a unidirectional flow of electrons generate electrical impulses and that is how even our brain neurons transmit signals to the body and the body in turn relays inputs to the brain all by a mechanism called depolarization of the cell membranes.

That was all about electrons..now lets take a look at energy.

Now as I said earlier that very often the word Positive Energy is used in religious text but the fact remains that Energy is neither positive nor negative.

The so called "Positiveness" or "Negativeness" of Energy in the religious context could be our own perception in regards to our reaction to a particular situation..for example when we meet people who make us feel relaxed and happy we become calm and view that person as radiating "Positive Energy" but just the very next day we fight with that person and we start to dislike that person..the next time we see him/her we start to feel uneasy and feel that person radiates 'Negative Energy"

So it seems that finally its our own emotions and personal likes and dislikes that give Energy terms like Positive Energy and Negative Energy.
    Last edited by renuka; 19 July 2014 at 08:18 AM.

Thread Information