Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 rudra avtar

11 rudra avtar

om namah shivay
    apart from maharshi durwasha and hanuman what are the other names of 9 rudravtar

Re: 11 rudra avtar

Quote Originally Posted by keshavkarn View Post
    om namah shivay
    apart from maharshi durwasha and hanuman what are the other names of 9 rudravtar
    Namaste keshavkarn,

The Rudras in thousands exist; their wrath do we deprecate. The Rudras are all forms of Agni. It is said that the mid-day pressing of Soma belongs to the Rudras.

Rudra, is one and He has eleven sons (Rudras): Mrgavyadha, Sarva, Nirrti, Ajaikapad, Ahirbudhnya, Pinakin, Dahana, Isvara, Kapalin, Sthanu, and Bhava. The Eleven listed above from the Mahabharata are possibly only the grouped categories of Rudra's 1,000 names. Some other sources give the names: Kapali, Pingala, Bhima, Virupaksha, Vilohita, Shashta, Ajaekpada, Ahirbidhanya, Sambhu, Chanda, and Bhava.

In Ekadasa Rudra abhishekam, the following eleven deities are worshipped: 1. Mahadeva, 2. Shiva , 3. Maha Rudra, 4. Shankara, 5. Neelalohita, 6. Eshana Rudra, 7. Vijaya Rudra, 8. Bheema Rudra, 9. Devadeva, 10. Bhavodbhava and 11. Adityatmaka Srirudra.

I feel that it is just good to remember Adityatmaka always. People are confounded as to where all these Rudras are. It is auspicious to know the following passage from Brihadaraynaka Upanishad:

Brihadaraynaka Upanishad

katame rudrA iti |
    dasheme purushhe prANA
    AtmaikAdashas

te yadA.asmAchchharIrAnmartyAdutkrAmanty
    atha rodayanti
    tadyadrodayanti
    tasmAdrudrA iti || 4 ||

III-ix-4: ‘Which are the Rudras ?’ ‘The ten organs in the human body, with the prana as the tenth and the atma as the eleventh. When they depart from this mortal body, they make (one’s relatives) weep. Because they then make them weep, therefore they are called Rudras.’

Even Gods cannot be devoid of the Tenth and the Eleventh Rudra.

You may wish to study further (but it will not add anything to the knowledge of Brihadarayanaka Upanishad but rather may confuse you):

http://www.experiencefestival.com/rudra

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 14 September 2009 at 07:05 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Dear atanu,
    many thanks, for that wonderful explanation.
    was just wondering that somewhere i have heard that mahirshi durwasha is also a rudra avtar of lord shiv as is lord hanuman
    OM NAMAH BHAGWATEY RUDRA

Dear atanu,
    many thanks, for that wonderful explanation.
    was just wondering that somewhere i have heard that mahirshi durwasha is also a rudra avtar of lord shiv as is lord hanuman
    Namaste,

Only the following knowledge is true, since it is shruti:

Brihadaraynaka Upanishad

katame rudrA iti |
    dasheme purushhe prANA
    AtmaikAdashas

te yadA.asmAchchharIrAnmartyAdutkrAmanty
    atha rodayanti
    tadyadrodayanti
    tasmAdrudrA iti || 4 ||

III-ix-4: ‘Which are the Rudras ?’ ‘The ten organs in the human body, with the prana as the tenth and the atma as the eleventh. When they depart from this mortal body, they make (one’s relatives) weep. Because they then make them weep, therefore they are called Rudras.’

--------------------

Other knowledge may not be wrong but those are not simple and direct. And frankly speaking, a lot of pandits, who read only Puranas, write a lot on internet. No intricate knowledge is required to understand that the prAna (life force) and the atmAn (that which is the source of mind), constitute all that is. Even the controller Gods would not be controller Gods without prAna and Atman.

And it is also good to remember that apart from all these bodies which appear to have divided prAna and atmAn into many, the rudro - the adiatmaka, the maharishi, stands alone transcendentally, viewing Hiranyagarbha (His own mind) giving birth to Gods et al..

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 14 September 2009 at 06:54 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Dear atanu,
    many thanks,
    with my little knowledge are we saying that there are no avtars of shiv, or lord hanuman is not the 11th rudra avtar
    OM NAMAH BHAGWATEY RUDRA

Dear atanu,
    many thanks,
    with my little knowledge are we saying that there are no avtars of shiv, or lord hanuman is not the 11th rudra avtar
    Namaste keshavkarn,

Hanuman is known as Maruti, which are known as progeny of Rudra and Prisni. So, one can indeed say that hanuman is an avatara. But then there is no one who is not. And moreover, knowing that Shiva is adiatmika and your very own atma, what need there may be to know many other things, which cannot be verified? What is verifiable is oneself and one's own prAna, which are sitting nicely in every heart.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 14 September 2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: to further rhe reasoning

Atanu,

Is it revealed in sastra, How many "controller Gods (devatas)" exist?

I was told that there are millions of "controller Gods" --do you know where in sastra the quantity of controller Gods is discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste keshavkarn,

Hanuman is known as Maruti, which are known as progeny of Rudra and Prisni. So, one can indeed say that hanuman is an avatara. But then there is no one who is not. And moreover, knowing that Shiva is adiatmika and your very own atma, what need there may be to know many other things, which cannot be verified? What is verifiable is oneself and one's own prAna, which are sitting nicely in every heart.

Om Namah Shivaya
    what about (shivansi later known as durvasa) durvasa who was also rudra avtar and was born to sati anusuya and atri muni
    OM NAMAH BHAGWATEY RUDRA

what about (shivansi later known as durvasa) durvasa who was also rudra avtar and was born to sati anusuya and atri muni
    Namaste keshavkarn,

My understanding is already explained:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...45&postcount=4

Om

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste keshavkarn,

My understanding is already explained:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...45&postcount=4

Om
    I dont even know who those proclaiming pandit's are, this is in shiv puran about durvasa.
    what about mangal, is he son of shiv or avtar of shiv.

2ndly would also be interested in knowing are we not supposed to read or follow puranas

when we say hanuman is maruti. what does marut means. coz with my little knowledge i know there are thousand names of bajrangbali and maruti being one of thousands
    OM NAMAH BHAGWATEY RUDRA

Thread Information