Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suitable Scripture

Re: Suitable Scripture

Quote Originally Posted by isavasya View Post
    Namaskar OmkaraWhy can't people of Narayanastra blog post here directly and why do they need a messenger to put their views here ?

Namaste Isavasya

We will have to peep into history of HDF, which I would not like to, as it will be yet another discussion that will spur up controversy, heated exchanges, temporary bans (just incase someone goes insane) or thread being dumped into jalpa section.

But for curiosity, I will answer you in brief.

These tow authors are 'humble Vaishnavas'. Their screen name is Sri Vaishnava (SV) and BhagavataFan (BF). I do not know what problem does BF have to post, but for SV, he has ego problem after his declaration

I am done with these forums.
    Source: post #26

I will definitely not respond in this thread as it will derail the thread.

I would refrain to comment anyfurhter on this issue. I have put my views and SV has his. Rest is left to readers.

I am reporting my own post #12 to admin, so just incase I have already derailed, he can take appropriate action.

A mod EM ji is active on this thread. Just incase I have derailed this thread, please do let me know.

Hello Omkara

I was about to PM you regarding authenticity of puranas and authentic upanishads, but saw that you have not logged in since 17th. I thought you must be having exams, so didn't disturb you.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    Namaste!
    Thanx for posting replies, as already mention I had read a bhagavat gita. Yes it is very beautiful book EM..
    Now im thinking to start with shiv sutra or bhagavatam and then other Upanishads...Thanx!
    I recommend translation of Bhagavatam with the Vaishnava commentary: http://vedabase.net/sb/en

It can be bought as a book.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste

I recommend translation of Bhagavatam with the Vaishnava commentary: http://vedabase.net/sb/en

regards
    If he's a Shiva bhakta, then why recommend a Vaishnava bhashyam?
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste Jaskaran Singh and Soul of Light
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    Because he said in the post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light
    Any suggestion is welcome althought I am a true devotee of lord shiva but I also like to chant names of lord vishnu or krishna, and I am pleased by their words, so please suggest any vaishnavism, shaivism scriptures or vedas which are best for me....
    Thanking in advance...
    Besides, the full benefit of reading Vaishnava texts one can get only if you read a good Vaishnava commentary on the text. Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) is the most popular of all Vaishnava Puranas, and commentary by Srila Prabhupada is easily available even online.

One more thing. I said this in one of my previous posts in another thread:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...644#post115644

It is said in the Narada Purana 1.5.72:

śive ca parameśe ca viṣṇau ca paramātmani
    samabuddhyā pravarttante te vai bhāgavatāḥ smṛtāḥ

"Those who regard god Śiva the great ruler of the world, and Vishnu the Supreme Soul, with equal attitude, are indeed spoken as Bhāgavatas."

It is said that they are Bhāgavatas or bhāgavatottamāḥ, great devotees of the Lord.

regards

Namaste Jaskaran Singh and Soul of Light

Because he said in the post #1:

Besides, the full benefit of reading Vaishnava texts one can get only if you read a good Vaishnava commentary on the text. Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) is the most popular of all Vaishnava Puranas, and commentary by Srila Prabhupada is easily available even online.
    namaskAram,
    Thank you for pointing that out. Having gone through the thread, it indeed seems I forgot what was mentioned in the OP.

One more thing. I said this in one of my previous posts in another thread:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...644#post115644

It is said in the Narada Purana 1.5.72:

śive ca parameśe ca viṣṇau ca paramātmani
    samabuddhyā pravarttante te vai bhāgavatāḥ smṛtāḥ

"Those who regard god Śiva the great ruler of the world, and Vishnu the Supreme Soul, with equal attitude, are indeed spoken as Bhāgavatas."

It is said that they are Bhāgavatas or bhāgavatottamāḥ, great devotees of the Lord.

regards[/SIZE]
    Well, parameshwara/paramesha means greatest lord or supreme lord (since endings of -अम are generally superlative whereas endings of -अर are comparative, compare with अधर [low] and अधम [lowest]). In this sense, although the nAradIya purANam is sAttvika, are you not going against the tAratamya of madhva?

This is what he says in the shrI mahAbhAratatAtparyanirNayaH:

सर्वज्ञ ईश्वरतमः स च सर्वशक्तिः पूर्णाव्ययात्म बलचित्सुखवीर्यसारः।
    यस्याऽज्ञया रहितमिन्दिरया समेतं ब्रह्मेशपूर्वकमिदं नतु कस्य चेशम्॥१३॥

Notice that it says of bhagavAn that deprived of his command (यस्याऽज्ञया रहितम्), even if maintained by indirA (shrI/lakShmI), brahmA, and Isha (shiva) and all these others (sametaM) (इन्दिरया समेतं ब्रह्मेश) with this [universe] (पूर्वकमिदं), it still cannot do anything (नतु कस्य चेशम्); madhva's opinions are not authoritative for me, but I believe you've said multiple times that you are a gauDIya. This technically makes you linked to the mAdhvasampradAya, no? How would you reconcile the fact that madhva doesn't seem to believe in shiva as parameshvara and makes a clear distinction between shiva and mahAviShNu with your above quoted shlokam?
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 25 May 2014 at 02:02 AM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste

regards
    My suggestion to those who'd like to read Bhagavata Purana :

Though Vedabase is easily available online, Everyone know Vedabase is the translations done by Gaudiya Vaishnawism. I mean , authenticity matters when we read any scripture And as far as my study on bhagavata Purana for almost 3 years is concerned, for sure Bhagavata posits unity of Jiva and Brahman.

I think, almost most of the people in Bharatavarsha see Gita Press' Bhagavata Purana the most authentic as it is non sectarian.

Hit www.gitapress.org and enjoy an authentic divinity of Bhagavata Purana. The PDF book is also easily available online for reading on Electronic Devices.

Hari Onkar
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 25 May 2014 at 02:03 AM.

Namaste

regards
    namaste brahma jijnasa ji,
    thanx for link..!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    Namaste Jaskaran Singh ji,
    yes you are right, I am a true shiv bhakta.. And wanted to increase my devotion, I am seeking for true knowledge
    I like your and brahma jijnasa ji post, I too belief that all forms of god come from one bramha, and hence in lord vishnu I can see lord shiva and in shiva I can see vishnu, humans have two eyes and both have same importance, there is also concept of third eye which is advance
    like that for me Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu both are supreme, there is also concept of endless and formless god which is advance, as I am not advance to worship god in this form so I worship god in the form of my lord shiva and experience him everywhere
    Thanking for reply...
    Regards
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara
    Quote: Bhagavad Purana also glorifies lord shiva,

No, it doesn't according to Sridhara Swami, Veeraraghavacharya and Vijayadhwaja Tirtha. Only vishNu is praised. Read the link, we have already covered it:
    Who'll believe in this who has read the real Bhagavata Purana and who has known Brahman as "Ekamevadvitiya" Non Dual.

Check this thread and there my post too. http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=12038

(Note: I am not trying to act as mod)

Namaste Esteemed members,

Please understand that OP does not belong any sampradaya. Though he is attracted towards Shiva, He has equal reverence towards Vishnu.

Considering his mindset, we have to give answers.

Please do not make this into Shiva v/s Vishnu supremacy fight. So if someone says that mAdhvA and of course Sri Vaishnava-s consider Shiva as Jiva, this would definitely hurt OP. SV's answers through Omkara has links which will point to a blog in which Shiva is denigrated and Sri Rudram is interpretaed in convoluted way. Again this will hurt a Shiva bhakta. Srila Prabhupada has beautifully explained Krishna bhakti, but he has also used the word Demi-god for Shiva, which is quite unfortunate.

This is the reason why I didnt gave link to Shiva Gita which will point to Mahapasupatastra blog. I would request him to buy a copy of Shiva Gita translated in Hindi by Shri Nandlal Dashora, published by Randhir Prakashan, available at Gita Press (though it is not published by Gita Press.)

S/he is just 17 year old and is asking for direction. Judging from liberal mindset of OP, I think HLk's recommendation about reading books published by Gita Press are best alternative. IMO, Gita Press is the most genuine and honest in translation and is free from sectarian bias.

Please do not drag him in this tug-of-war.

Since OP has equal reverence both both Shiva and Vishnu, I supported his thoughts by pointing out alternate categorization by replying to Isavasya.

But then I think the course is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    Namaste all!

I know this question may ask many time but I have to ask it for myself in detail

I am a devotee of Lord Shiva, and I have read only a Bhagavat geeta, I want to read more scriptures which will increase my devotion, knowledge and tell me what I have to do in this spiritual path..
    So please tell me about, which scripture I have to prefer to read next.. Any suggestion is welcome althought I am a true devotee of lord shiva but I also like to chant names of lord vishnu or krishna, and I am pleased by their words, so please suggest any vaishnavism, shaivism scriptures or vedas which are best for me....

Thanking in advance...

Regards
    I think OP is more interested in spending time with God as much as possible. He is interested in Vishnu has he is most probably influenced by words of Krishna form Gita, which must have helped him in his spiritual progress.

EM ji has always been wise

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: When you get so many opinions, it must be difficult to decide. Some say this, some say that. Of course most people will offer up what worked for them, occasionally not recognising or accepting that just because it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for everyone. So that leaves you with making the decision yourself. I hope, for your sake, your intuition guides you to the right scripture ... for you.

Aum Namasivaya
    +1

Hari OM

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Amrut; 25 May 2014 at 03:44 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste Ji,

In a book published by Gita press I read that it is better to spend time worshiping one's favorite deity _/\_ rather than waste such precious time by indulging in .
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information