Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Gita version

Re: Best Gita version

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Now that is subjective. Whichever translation jives with one's previous conditioning will sound most logical and be deemed as the best.

Lot of good, detailed advice has been provided. Since you are a beginner and want to get your feet wet, I would say just start with the ISKCON version by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prubhupadji. Once you have a grasp of the basics and understand the underlying Hindu philosophy, then you can shop around for what sounds best to you, per your prior conditioning.

Pranam.

Thanks but many sre warning me read ALL BUT AVOID ISKCON because want to picture Krishna as the Supreme and created a new religion, I am not sure but even very knoledgeable people in India told me the same there should be a reason why all ok and not ISKCON !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Hello..

Yeah, they're also good. But my recommendation is Dnyaneshwari- BhavarthA DeepikA' by Bhagavan Dnyaneshwar, who wrote it at the age of 16.

It's not complicated at all. It's full of nectar of Bhakti and vedanta in simple language. His intention itself was to teach gita to common masses.

Bhagavad Gita supports Advaita Vedanta. This can be concluded from Yoga vashishtha ramayana in which VashishthA explains Lord Rama, what shri Krishna, avatara of Vishnu, will teach ArjunA at the Kurukshetra.

Once you read GitA, you should read Uddhava GitA- last advaitic discourse of Krishna. No doubt, thereafter, you would have nothing left to know more.

Thank You
    Thanks a lot where is best place to buy I don't think can find in Malaysia maybe in India online important that is written clear and simple English.

Before I found yours I posted same question in IndiaMike one member replied

Krishna is not the Absolute, Brahman is Absolute Consciousness & we are all Consciousness, chapter 6 is actually about us Atman realizing through meditation that we are that Brahman, in other words through focussed attention of Awareness in Atman we become absorbed in it, then Atman=Brahman so to speak.

The As it is Krishna is not the Absolute, Brahman is Absolute Consciousness & we are all Consciousness, chapter 6 is actually about us Atman realising through meditation that we are that Brahman, in other words through focussed attention of Awareness in Atman we become absorbed in it, then Atman=Brahman so to speak.

The As it is wallahs (ISCKOM) try to twist these words by interpreting it in the following way & turning Krishna into the absolute;

"Thus practicing control of the body, mind and activities, the mystic transcendentalist attains to the kingdom of God [or the abode of Krsna] by cessation of material existence."

What is this abode of Krishna?

Krishna says abide in Me, by this he means Self (Brahman) & not I am God/Absolute. try to twist these words by interpreting it in the following way & turning Krishna into the absolute;

"Thus practicing control of the body, mind and activities, the mystic transcendentalist attains to the kingdom of God [or the abode of Krsna] by cessation of material existence."

What is this abode of Krishna?

Krishna says abide in Me, by this he means Self (Brahman) & not I am God/Absolute.

So I have to avoid such book. I have to start somewhere and get confused you tell me to avoid Sivananda etc if you said can also and by the one you are suggesting. Wow.

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Hello..

Try to respect vaishnawa sant. Say 'Sant Dnyaneshwar'

Regards
    Yes, that is how everyone feel about their guru and don't want to hear nonsense otherwise.

(If you truly had reasons and felt that you should change society's ways of looking up at some personalities, you would rather be someone who acts at the level of the society).
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

A simple book for modern minds: Holy Gita, by Swami Chinmayananda.
    That should make many a concepts clear.

Swami Dayananda Saraswathi ji's "Bhagavad Gita Home Study course" can be a real good set of books to read. but it is very bulky.

Shankara's original bhasya read with the aid of a teacher is the best

Namaste,

Did any of you read this,
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaferro View Post
    I am just starting
    before jumping in with both feet to innundate a newcomer? Long discourses and recommending something which may not be easily available in the West is bad advice. Let the person settle down and then you can impress upon him to read literature from YOUR guru. It is despicable when the posts turn from what the OP requested to a debate about the relative holiness of your guru. And then we want the world to treat us as enlightened people who are the keepers of vast amount of spiritual knowledge?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    A simple book for modern minds: Holy Gita, by Swami Chinmayananda.
    That should make many a concepts clear.

Swami Dayananda Saraswathi ji's "Bhagavad Gita Home Study course" can be a real good set of books to read. but it is very bulky.

Shankara's original bhasya read with the aid of a teacher is the best
    in your opinion better Swami Shivananda or Chinmayanda Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Now that is subjective. Whichever translation jives with one's previous conditioning will sound most logical and be deemed as the best.

Lot of good, detailed advice has been provided. Since you are a beginner and want to get your feet wet, I would say just start with the ISKCON version by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prubhupadji. Once you have a grasp of the basics and understand the underlying Hindu philosophy, then you can shop around for what sounds best to you, per your prior conditioning.

Pranam.

is strange that you recommend BG as it is all people are telling me in India of certain stature buy anyone not ISCKOM . Why ?

ISCKOM is like concentrating on Krishna as the absolute.

I was asking here advice out of the above Gita any other that is goof for me inv iew so many edition out there Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kamaferro View Post
    in your opinion better Swami Shivananda or Chinmayanda Thanks so much
    Dear Kamaferro ji,

I feel Swami Dayananda Saraswati ji's Bhagavad Gita home study course is the best, followed by Chinmayananda ji's work.

My suggestion is : if you can listen to a swami paramarthananda ji or dayananada ji on gita it would be very useful.

Love!
    Silence

Namaste,

In my opinion, you can rely on this translation http://www.gitapress.org/books/gita/...Gita_Roman.pdf to begin with. Though this translation is also not without blemish but much much better than ISKCON's translation.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste,

In my opinion, you can rely on this translation http://www.gitapress.org/books/gita/...Gita_Roman.pdf to begin with. Though this translation is also not without blemish but much much better than ISKCON's translation.

OM
    others not in this forum suggest http://www.chennaimath.org/istore/pr...hara-ordinary/

at this point I have to start somewhere, everyone suggests according own view it seems this a good non-sectarian text which is also objectively translated in a scholarly responsible way

Thread Information