Thread: Should the Politics Forum be Closed?

Question Should the Politics Forum be Closed?

Namaste HDF,

I'm not asking this question to be provocative, so please don't take it that way. It's just that one thing I've noticed about the Politics forum is that discussions over there have gone the way of the flame war almost as much as the Jalpa forum. Perhaps that's just my interpretation, but the point is that even though I realize politics affects Hinduism as much as any other religion, the online world isn't really the best forum (no pun intended) for them. While it's important to address politics as it relates to Hinduism, perhaps we should be a bit more restrictive on what kind of political discussions can take place here?

To that end, I personally feel that labeling a forum as simply "Politics" leaves it too open for interpretation. Sure, any political event can be tied to Hinduism, but I feel that unless the political topic has directly to do with Hinduism, it should be taken elsewhere. Such a policy can minimize the flame wars and hurt feelings.

Maybe this can be solved by renaming the "Politics" forum to "Hindu Politics." Or maybe that section of the forum should be closed off entirely. I'm not sure what the ideal solution would be...I just feel that this aspect of Hindu discussion can be better managed. What do others think?

And before you ask, this isn't in response to any one event or member. This is the Feedback forum, so I'm leaving feedback that will hopefully help.

Re: Should the Politics Forum be Closed?

Namaste, Webimpulse.

I have been contemplating for the past 24 hours on the best way I can give a diplomatic answer on this thread without incriminating myself. lol

About 6 weeks ago, I made a suggestion here that the Politics Forum, the Jalpa Forum and the Hot Topics forum be closed because unnecessary and immature arguments only detract away from spiritual discourse and progress.

As in the case of this topic, mine also went hitherto ignored, suggesting administration prefers not to address this issue and likes things the way they are.

After my recent faux pas in the Politics Forum, I have decided to add it to my list of 'fora I shall be ignoring in future'. If people want to discuss politics, neither you nor I have to read it. I have given up discussing politics because I realise there's no point...the world will continue turning, despite anybody's efforts to stop it or to complain about the way that it does.

I am hoping that if the forum is not deleted or made for discussing 'Indian Politics Only', enough members will see that posting there is a waste of time now and the forum will eventually fall into disuse anyway.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste, Webimpulse.

I have been contemplating for the past 24 hours on the best way I can give a diplomatic answer on this thread without incriminating myself. lol
    Namaste Necromancer,

Like I said in my first post, this thread wasn't about anyone or anything in particular. So hopefully you didn't take this thread personally, because that wasn't the point, LOL.

That said, you do make a good common sense point that maybe people like us just shouldn't go there. I know I certainly haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste Necromancer,

Like I said in my first post, this thread wasn't about anyone or anything in particular. So hopefully you didn't take this thread personally, because that wasn't the point, LOL.

That said, you do make a good common sense point that maybe people like us just shouldn't go there. I know I certainly haven't.
    Namaste.

I realise that, my friend.

It's just that my last thread there was prematurely locked, with a rather rude and arrogant remark which annoyed me more than the lock itself.

It would have been much preferable if that thread was just deleted.

I took that 'personally'....not anything you have said here.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information