Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polygamy and Hinduism

Polygamy and Hinduism

I know that in ancient Vedic times, polygamy was practiced and men had multiple wives (like King Dasaratha with his three wives). Polygamy has also been practiced in ancient Judaism, Imperial China and throughout the Islamic world (where it is still practiced).

I know that Hindus today don't practice polygamy, but is this simply because of social customs influenced by the West, or are there later Scriptures which prohibit a man from having multiple wives?

Would it be possible for a Hindu man to marry two or three wives today (in both India and the West)? I know it is not legally possible (marriage is one man and one woman) but would there be any religious restrictions on a Hindu man marrying three women in three separate Hindu wedding ceremonies presided over by a priest and then living together with all three women without being legally married (like many couples do in New Zealand)? Would a Hindu priest agree to perform such ceremonies?

(By the way, this question comes completely out of curiosity - I am not considering marrying another woman or women).

Re: Polygamy and Hinduism

Namaste Scott,
    I don't know about New Zealand but in India according to the Indian Marriage act, it is illegal to have multiple wives. There is an exception to this law for muslims i.e. if you are muslim in India, then according to the Marriage act, you can have multiple wives. Religious freedom!

I think you already knew the legal position. Now, you gave an example of King having multiple wives. That's true in cases of most kings, isn't it? I mean, if you are "KING" you can afford to have multiple wives.

For the rest of us, could we really even dream of having multiple wives? That would be a financial disaster for one. One might as well say good bye to one's left over sanity, that's assuming one has any sanity left with a single wife.

Regardless of what sastra might say on this issue, we just have to use some common sense and be practical.

disclaimer to all members: please do not PM me if you are offended. I meant this post as a joke. If you are offended, lighten up and go have an ice cream with your loved ones.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post

For the rest of us, could we really even dream of having multiple wives? That would be a financial disaster for one. One might as well say good bye to one's left over sanity, that's assuming one has any sanity left with a single wife.

Regardless of what sastra might say on this issue, we just have to use some common sense and be practical.

disclaimer to all members: please do not PM me if you are offended. I meant this post as a joke. If you are offended, lighten up and go have an ice cream with your loved ones.
    This is not a joke, at least not in Nepal as a Hindu you could maybe still can today, i am not shure, have more than one wife provided you have enough money to built one house for each wife and sustain two households.

Thanks for the replies so far.

As I mentioned in the original post, I'm not questioning the legality of such marriages. I know that it is illegal to marry more than one wife legally in New Zealand, as well as for non-Muslims in Malaysia and India.

The situation I'm asking about is where a Hindu man marries two (or more) women in a Hindu marriage ceremony presided over by a priest. There is nothing legal about the ceremony and legally, the women are his "girlfriends" or "partners". In New Zealand it's common for a man and a woman to live together and not get married, and each refers to the other as his or her partner. After they have lived together for three years, the property must be divided evenly if they break up, the same as it would in a divorce.

Would there be a problem with the above scenario today according to the Hindu religion? Would a Hindu priest agree to marry a man and a woman if the man was already married and his wife was okay with him having another wife?

Vannakkam Scott:

Given the financial situation of a lot of priests in India, I'm sure there is one somewhere that would be willing to do it. Also, given the diversity of our faith, there is probably a sect or sampradaya or village somewhere where a priest would see no ethical or scriptural code against it.

As far as the mainstream goes, its one life, one wife predominantly.

We do have an ongoing situation here in Canada with a breakaway sect of the Mormon church. Polygamy is illegal in Canada, yet this group is allowed, or is yet to be prosecuted on polygamy. It has been prosecuted on child trafficking though. The government seems not to want to open the can of worms as the defense would be based on 'religious freedom'.

There are many other legal versus freedom of religion issues such as the Islamic veil, and Sikh turban issues that vary widely from country to country. If there is interest to discuss those and the implications it may have for Hindus, we should start new threads, I think. I know New Zealand is just in the process of the turban debate, which went on here several years back.

Aum Namasivaya

Technically, a Hindu man in India can have multiple wives through a loophole in the law. For example, a Muslim man has four wives and he decides to convert to Hinduism. Since he married them while he was still Muslim, the marriages are still legal. I believe the Indian actor Dharmendra did something like that, but I'm not sure.

Just because the men in the stories/histories had multiple wives does not mean that the scriptures are telling us we can or should. That was simply the culture of that time and it has been documented.
    "For a bewildered person in the materialistic way of life, the body, the mind and the senses, which are engaged in sense gratification, are the cause of bondage to repeated birth, death, old age and disease. But for one who is advanced in spiritual knowledge, the same body, senses and mind are the cause of liberation"
    Prabhupada.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
    Just because the men in the stories/histories had multiple wives does not mean that the scriptures are telling us we can or should. That was simply the culture of that time and it has been documented.
    +10000

You are 100% right, Just because some kings of old times did practiced polygamy, it doesn't means Hinduism allows it. In atharva veda and rig veda there are many many verses which says, one should have only 1 wife. Polygamy is strictly banned for all Hindus.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Quote Originally Posted by isavasya View Post
    +10000

You are 100% right, Just because some kings of old times did practiced polygamy, it doesn't means Hinduism allows it. In atharva veda and rig veda there are many many verses which says, one should have only 1 wife. Polygamy is strictly banned for all Hindus.
    Oh, do you know which verses? I have never read anywhere that specifically says to only have one wife. I would really like to see it written.
    "For a bewildered person in the materialistic way of life, the body, the mind and the senses, which are engaged in sense gratification, are the cause of bondage to repeated birth, death, old age and disease. But for one who is advanced in spiritual knowledge, the same body, senses and mind are the cause of liberation"
    Prabhupada.

namaskar,
    Dharmendar? No, he was never a muslim.! He did however marry twice but he divorced his first wife. He had to by law, I should think.

Quote Originally Posted by bp789 View Post
    Technically, a Hindu man in India can have multiple wives through a loophole in the law. For example, a Muslim man has four wives and he decides to convert to Hinduism. Since he married them while he was still Muslim, the marriages are still legal. I believe the Indian actor Dharmendra did something like that, but I'm not sure.
    satay

Thread Information