Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bhakti worship is not right for me

Re: Bhakti worship is not right for me

Namaste Devotee,

I think that what you don't realize is that what I said in my previous post is how I experience my world in terms of silence. It is all I see. It is not a theory in terms of what I see here. It is all I know. I even have to read the material, hear it in my head, translate it to mental feelings (I don't know how to describe the mental sensations that are not emotions), like the word "Jesus" or cross gives me several images, depending on the context of the conversation, India gives me the sight of the inside of a Mandir and the aromas of food, driving gives me a vague sense of physical memories of holding a steering wheel or even my feet controlling the pedals, West makes me think of the desert of Arizona, Polar makes me see darkness, snow blowing in a hard wind, and the northern portion of earth during the winter. After that third step, it comes to a sense of knowing. I think I'm just now beginning to understand why I get tired after reading, because all these things are happening because I have that extra layer of translation to myself.

Anyway, I am skeptical of the story of Vivekananda's encounter with the woman in the murti room. However, I did have the experience as a child of finding a downsized version of a young girl my age trapped in the ground under the house, whom I tried to dig out. I don't remember what happened after that. I don't recall seeing anything like that since.

I do have from time to time a vague sense of a presence of a person or an energy close by. I lived in one apartment in Houston for several years, and this was always bothersome. I would get frustrated at night, get up, and sit on the bed while asking just what it wanted, what could I help with. Of course, there was no response. I'd go back to bed, and there it was again. Sometimes, that didn't happen, just the one time for the night. I had to move to another apartment unit across the swimming pool because of water damage, and when I did, I never experienced that sense of someone in the bedroom again.

I live in a relatively new travel trailer with no known history of deaths or violence, since I am a second owner (very unlikely, given the good condition it is in), and I feel NOTHING of the sort in here. I don't know about your idea of logic or assumptions as far as how I see it, but it is ALL I have to go by on. There is MOST LIKELY no other person on earth like me presently, who lived this long in a native or ancient state and yet developed skills to be able to share it. You see, a child, whether in Indic or Western society, would NEVER be given willingly by the parent the opportunity to reach the age of physical self-sufficiency (being able to run, walk, climb, crawl, and interact with the outdoors safely) without the lenses of language, social norms, and religion being put on the child. Yet, that did happen to me accidentally. You HAVE to take this in consideration, because it puts me mentally in a very different place mentally than even that of my closest peers; deaf/hearing-impaired individuals who were found to be deaf within the first two-three years of their lives and helped. I did not get that help until I was seven and a half years old. Many, many of them fall right in with their hearing friends as far as normalcy goes. Something just DIFFERENT here.

It is why I have a sense of animism, similar to what has been reported in the "tribal belt" of India or other parts of the world, only it's a much lower level in my case because there are no words to describe the senses that I have. I was not initially taught the one-up/one-down view of humans towards non-humans until I went on a hunting trip. I do remember that it was very easy to be tricked into that because I believed emotionally that my parents couldn't do wrong (and wasn't even aware of such a thing). Nothing had to be said to me, just shown with my Dad lining up his gun and shooting the animal with it. It wasn't until the end of my college years that I began to experience the horrors of my actions towards my victims through reflecting onto those experiences as a hunter.

I just got through reading all of Rajivji's nearly-80 articles at his web site, and now, I'm ready to dig deeper into SD. I'm looking at the book, "VOICE OF THE GURU PUJYASRI CHANDRASEKHARENDRA SARASWATI SWAMI." If you have read this book, please share with me your experience with this book and what to watch for.

Dhanyavaad

I'm going to post a thread about the book I just mentioned in my last post. I think there's some mistakes in it, big ones at that. I'm just on the first 46 pages of it.

Namaskar,

It seems to me that you are thinking about things too much. I am reading your posts and I am finding them very cumbersome and disorganized. You'll talk about one thing and then hastily move to a completely different thing without warning. This gives me a good idea about how your mind works. I could be wrong, but from what I can tell it seems like you like to analyze things very deeply and question every facet of a thing until you reach its core. Sometimes this can be good, but in relation to understanding the Absolute Truth it is not so beneficial. Why? Because when we analyze the Absolute Truth we are thinking about it from an intellectual standpoint, and in doing so we are attaching our own limited view (which is wrapped up in our ego) to it and defining it based on our limited experience. This leaves major room for error in understanding the Absolute Truth.

Brahman is experienced, not thought of. It is felt in the heart, but It is never known in the mind. In deep states of meditation we can touch It, yet the moment we begin to intellectually break it down It is completely lost. So try not to analyze so much because it is doing nothing but holding you back.

As you probably already know, there are different forms of yoga and all of them are meant to help us connect to the Absolute Truth. Yoga means "to unite". And yes, bhakti yoga is one of the forms of yoga which helps us to achieve union with the Supreme. It may not be the form that works best for you (you seem like a jnana yogi to me) but you cannot cast it out entirely just because you don't like it. Ironically enough, I would actually prescribe the practice of bhakti yoga to a person like you because the strict intellectuals can really benefit from opening up their heart. It can be very difficult and we often want to fight it (trust me I know, I am an intellectual just like you) but we can derive enormous benefit if we will just surrender to the process.

"The mind is the friend
    Of those who have control over it,
    And the mind acts like an enemy
    For those who do not control it."

-Srimad Bhagavad-gita 6:6

Stop thinking so hard. Stop trying to analyze Brahman, it cannot and will not be understood through the intellect. Open up your heart. Breathe. You can and will know the Absolute Truth. Practice, practice, practice meditation. Try to see the Divine in every area of your life. And breathe.

I wish you all the best in your spiritual endeavors.

(Don't forget to breathe )

Pranam.

ॐ नमः शिवाय,
    LightofOm
    ॐ मृत्युंजयाय रुद्राय नीलकण्ठाय शम्भवे l
    अमृतेशाय शर्वाय महादेवाय ते नम: ll

Sanātana Dharma Worldwide

This is typical of superficial people full of shallow superficial ideas who attribute their own perceptions of morality to God. These are the same people who will take millions of births to understand that Gods love is realizing God in all and not about a human god dancing and rearing cows as if there are no other creatures in the universe except the villagers and the cows. These are the same people who live on dimming the IQ of "bhaktas".. If crimes starting from corruption to politics to child abuse to stupidity count to "moksha" then yeah they will be liberated.
    Radha madhav wont raise their IQ, wont stop them from looting people,wont give them a brain, wont give them a job outside the temple, but he will definitely give them moksha:P Ofcourse why not? The whole philosophy relies on superficiality of culture and prejudice and what else can you expect from these thugs parading as bhaktas

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    I think I'm just now beginning to understand why I get tired after reading, because all these things are happening because I have that extra layer of translation to myself.

.......it puts me mentally in a very different place mentally than even that of my closest peers.....
    I can try as hard as I may, but I will never be able to connect with your feelings. At intellectual level I understand your extra layers of translations, but do I really? I know that the cookie cutter responses that we have provided are meaningless to you, and not being at the same experiential level, we are useless to you. A trained therapist might be able to connect with your psyche and suggest some constructive ways to go where you want to go. Best wishes.

Pranam.

Namaste Karaka, what is typical of superficial people? I am confused about your wording. Are you referring to the people at the temple? If so, can you please elaborate more on your answer? This was my first exposure to such temple people, ever, so I wouldn't know what to look for. Well, I have some idea... But still...

Namaste Believer, I'm way ahead of you there. I did my counseling years and years ago. I know there's nothing wrong with me as a person. What I learned was to "simply be, just simply be." That is why my constructed language is named Galeh Yuvo, meaning "To simply be." I am where I am as a result of my journey and experience in my life.

Where did you get the idea that you're useless to me? No one is...

Dhanyavaad

Namaste,

I know there's nothing wrong with me as a person.
    I did not say or mean that there is anything wrong with you. Just that your needs are unique and we have not been able to share the spot where you stand and therefore can't come up with any suggestions for the path that will make you happy.

Pranam.

Namaste Believer,

I now understand what you mean. It is a relatively unique position. Only yesterday did I hear of a deaf woman who lives in Africa and was raised similarly. She has had a hard time learning languages other than her own language, just like I do. I have some understanding of ASL (American Sign Language) because I learned the vocabulary and very basic grammar from friends behind the teachers' backs (we weren't supposed to learn to sign according to Oralist education tradition of deaf education of the 1970s and early 1980s). This has to do with evidence showing that if language is not instilled in time, it can be difficult to learn even a primary language and impact learning in general - look at the cases of feral children. This is indeed an unbeaten path...

This is indeed an unbeaten path...
    Vannakkam: But fascinating all the same.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Some 25 years ago I saw a documentary about a feral child who had started living with humans and was having a very difficult time adjusting to his new environments and communication methods. So, I somewhat understand what you are describing as the challenges facing the deaf people who are not familiarized with the language skills at an early age. I guess the run of the mill people like us are incapable of comprehending all the dimensions involved with your situation and be helpful in a meaningful way.

Pranam.

Thread Information