Thread: Where do I begin? - Please help

Where do I begin? - Please help

Hello - Im new here, nice to meet all of you. Im sorry to make a thread like this since Im sure there are a lot of questions out there already about this.

But I recently starting studying Hinduism and I really want to study it more and more. The problem, there seems to be so much material out there that I wasnt sure where to start.

For example, Im interested in studying the vedas, but I dont know which one to start with or if it would even make sense to me at this time.

I love to read and study, Im just overwhelmed. Help! lol

What books and scriptures should I start with?

At this point I only know the sheer basics of Hinduism.

Re: Where do I begin? - Please help

Quote Originally Posted by stillwood View Post
    Hello - Im new here, nice to meet all of you. Im sorry to make a thread like this since Im sure there are a lot of questions out there already about this.

But I recently starting studying Hinduism and I really want to study it more and more. The problem, there seems to be so much material out there that I wasnt sure where to start.

For example, Im interested in studying the vedas, but I dont know which one to start with or if it would even make sense to me at this time.

I love to read and study, Im just overwhelmed. Help! lol

What books and scriptures should I start with?

At this point I only know the sheer basics of Hinduism.

Namaste,

Welcome.
    It is nice to know that you are interested in the Vedas but I would say it is better to begin with a bit simpler scriptures.

There are many books but if you could tell some more details like the deity you like or the name of a particular system/tradition/ideas(ex.Vedanta,Yoga,Vaishnava,Shaiva etc.) then members can suggest appropriate literature.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste,

Welcome.
    It is nice to know that you are interested in the Vedas but I would say it is better to begin with a bit simpler scriptures.

There are many books but if you could tell some more details like the deity you like or the name of a particular system/tradition/ideas(ex.Vedanta,Yoga,Vaishnava,Shaiva etc.) then members can suggest appropriate literature.
    Thanks for your reply! I guess I should have been more specific. All of this is so new to me that Im trying to learn as much as I can.

For now though, Id like to learn more about Vaishnava and Shaiva. Any recommendations you can make would be great!

A friend of mine lent me a copy of the Bhagavad Gita, so Ive been reading that as of now.

Thank you.

Namaste,

What has attracted you towards Hinduism, and what parts of it are so magnetic that you wish to pursue further study?

As a rule of thumb, I would invite you to read a suitable translation of The Bhagavad Gita. My personal recommendation would be that by Eaknath Easwaran, which I feel is the best suited to a new aspirant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bhagavad-Git.../dp/1586380192

Welcome to HDF & Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste,

What has attracted you towards Hinduism, and what parts of it are so magnetic that you wish to pursue further study?

As a rule of thumb, I would invite you to read a suitable translation of The Bhagavad Gita. My personal recommendation would be that by Eaknath Easwaran, which I feel is the best suited to a new aspirant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bhagavad-Git.../dp/1586380192

Welcome to HDF & Good luck.
    Hi, I am currently reading the Eaknath Easwaran translation. I love it so far!

As far as what drew me to Hinduism, its sort of hard to explain. Over the past 3-4 years, Ive been on a spiritual journey. I grew up around Christianity, but it never made sense to me. I studied many different religions, but when I got to Hinduism, something "clicked". It all made complete sense to me and it was something that I felt I had been drawn to all my life. It was like I had always believed in it, but I just never knew it....does that make sense? Its hard to describe.

The essence of karma, and dharma make so much sense to me.

Thread Information