Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian Recipes

Re: Vegetarian Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: There are about a million chick pea curry recipes. But since most of then are really delicious, I would just suggest experimenting until you get something close to what you ate.
    What's chick pea curry? Is that what they call chhole in English?
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste,

The last time I visited a mandir, I stayed afterwards for prasad, and I have been trying to figure out what one of the dishes was and cannot find it! I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out. I believe the main ingredient was chickpeas, or something similar to that, and it was very spicy (and delicious!). I would love to try to make it myself.

I went on a search online and found a recipe that I thought might be it, because the picture kind of looked like it. The recipe along with the picture can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-indian-dahl/. It is called Dahl. Even though it turned out not being what I was trying to make, it was actually very good, so it still worked out. The dahl was more soup like, whereas the dish I was aiming for was not souplike at all. Also the lentils in the dahl were much smaller than the beans that were in the other dish, and the other dish was spicier than the dahl.

Does anyone know a recipe that sounds like what I mentioned above? Or perhaps want to share any other good recipes that may be easy for a beginner to pick up on? To be honest, I haven't had much Indian food other than what was served at the Mandir, so I didn't even know that I liked it! Now that I found a few things that I enjoy, I'm curious what else is out there.

Thank you all.
    Namaste Fem,

This spices used and procedure employed can be used with any lentil e.g. chickpeas (brown, white or green), bengal gram, green gram, red lentil, kidney beans etc. This particular recipe is made with red lentil. The lentils (especially grams and kidney beans) have to be well soaked a few hours before use in making this recipe so that these are soft and don't take much time in preparation.

[This is not chhole as chhole is particularly made of White Chickpeas and the gravy is not so thick in that case. The spices used are also not as used in making chhole. This is basically fried dry dahl.]

For getting enough protein, you can mix Soyabean flour in your wheat flour (10 to 12.5 %). All pulses, kidney beans and peanuts are good sources of protein and easier digestible than meat. I take lot of curd in my food three times a day and for all 365 days in a year. Moreover, your being healthy doesn't depend upon only on food with high protein. It is a myth promoted by people who are in this business or who want to justify their meat eating habits. The science of how food acts has never been free of errors. In India I find many people who eat very simple food and are much healthier even in their eighties than many other people who are more knowledgeable on food. It is all in your mind if you believe me !

OM
    Last edited by devotee; 28 January 2014 at 02:04 AM.
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post
    What's chick pea curry? Is that what they call chhole in English?
    Vannakkam JS: I take it you don't get around much. Contrary to what some may think, the vegetarian cooking is as diverse as the religion. Here in the west it's far less travel for me to see the length and breadth of India, because we have most of the states of India represented by their respective society. Here in Edmonton we have Tamil Society, Andhra Society, Gujarati Assoc., Bengali Society, Kannada assoc., Marathi Society, 2 or 3 Music Societies, 8 Hindu temples, Fijians, South Africans, Sri Lankans, Guyanese, Mauritians East Africans, (Uganda and Kenyan Indians) etc.

To think that that the only way to prepare a chick pea (garbanzo bean, and several other linguistic names I'm not familiar with) is chhole would be a stretch.

But that's what I love about this culture. When you go or are invited to a function or a home, you can expect something different. Just as there is no such thing as a one style of Hinduism, there is no such thing as Indian food.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Indians of different ethnicities from different parts of the country try to project their 'recipe' for any item as the 'national recipe'. As EM would attest, nothing is farther from the truth. Add to that the use of English and Indian names for various items in the posts, and things become confusing, murky and incomprehensible for Americans. It might be worth considering that unless people giving advice are familiar with the American lingo, what they say is perhaps of little use to the inquiring minds. Although very valid names and in popular use in India, the terms 'filter coffee' and 'pulses' and 'kabuli/madrasi/bengali/punjabi grams' and 'lady fingers' and 'curd' and....are linguistically unknown here.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 30 January 2014 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Add to that the use of English and Indian names for various items in the posts, and things become confusing, murky and incomprehensible for Americans. It might be worth considering that unless people giving advice are familiar with the American lingo, what they say is perhaps of little use to the inquiring minds. Although very valid names and in popular use in India, the terms 'filter coffee' and 'pulses' and 'kabuli/madrasi/bengali/punjabi grams' and 'lady fingers' and 'curd' and....are linguistically unknown here.
    Oh ! Is it the reason Fem didn't appreciate my efforts ? This post discourages people who want to help and doesn't help the person who wants to learn.

If one wants to learn rocket science and expects that it will be taught by using terminology of Ancient History ... that is not possible. BTW, it is not so difficult as it has been made out in the above post. From my friends and relatives in America what I have learnt is that almost all spices and grains used in making Indian food are available in localities where Indians live in majority. A visit to such a shop would clear all the terms used herein.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information