Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remembering...

Re: Remembering...

Vannakam Everyone,

Not sure if this is a pertinent post, but I find my thinking generally working on two trains of thought at any given time. One train of thought seems to be consistently on god,

I think it is possible to think about god and contemplate the supreme while working on something else. I consistently write papers while thinking back on the vedas and currently the shanti parva's teachings.

So the two to me are not mutually exclusive, one does not have to keep god purely in a subconscious form. I find having the supreme in the back of my head all day keeps me much calmer and more comforted.

But I do have one question, I have heard conflicting things on mala's, some say they should not be worn as the oils on the body reduce their spiritual conductivity and it appears you are saying that one should wear a mala (I keep mine in a bag in my pocket at all times if the occasion arises taht japa may be able to be completed.) so what should I do in regard to that?

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Eric11235 View Post
    Vannakam Everyone,

But I do have one question, I have heard conflicting things on mala's, some say they should not be worn as the oils on the body reduce their spiritual conductivity and it appears you are saying that one should wear a mala (I keep mine in a bag in my pocket at all times if the occasion arises taht japa may be able to be completed.) so what should I do in regard to that?

Namaste
    Vannakkam Eric: I think, but am not sure, that most traditions follow this ... not wearing japa malas. In my tradition, it's okay to wear one on either wrist, but not on the neck. The bag you mention is the other alternative.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks EM, that's what I remember reading

Namaste,

.......one does not have to keep god purely in a subconscious form.
    I find having the supreme in the back of my head.........
    There is probably a subtle difference between the two, which I am not able to see.

If multi-tasking works for some, that is great. But in general it has been given negative reviews. So, no, I would not want someone performing surgery on me when he is doing japa 'on a parallel track'. But if one holds the Lord in his sub-consciousness, then I would prefer his services rather than those of a secular surgeon. Just a difference of opinions, I guess.

Pranam.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namaste

If you are talking of rudrākṣa then we are properly directed by various upaniṣad-s e.g. rudrākṣajābala upaniṣad, the śiva mahāpurāṇa, on what is considered useful... you can find that here on this HDF post:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6228

If the mālā ( string of beads or other) is of another type, then we go with the tradition that is offered.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 July 2014 at 04:09 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste.

Namaste
    Vaishnavas wear either a japa or kanthi mala of tulsi. I was told by a Gaudiya Vaishnava that they are OK to wear all the time. In fact, after wearing and handling it, and even bathing with it, it can emit a nice subtle fragrance. In fact, kanthi malas are not supposed to be removed, except when replacing a broken one, or if a medical procedure contraindicates it.

Now, as far as my remembrance of the Lord, I try to keep Him in my thoughts at one level of consciousness or another depending on the circumstances. If I am in a quiet place and have time to myself, I do my conscious thinking of Him and praying for help, guidance and forgiveness. Otherwise, I know He is in my subconscious, though I prefer to think of it as my heart.

Of course I'm virtually never far from reminders. With the mind and attention span of a two year old, I need something to focus on. Through my stereo in the truck I play my iPod with a playlist of bhajans, kirtans and mantras; I have a murthi of Lord Ganesha on my dashboard and a small wallet-size picture of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna on one of the panels; I have some pictures on my desk, and often listen to said bhajans, kirtans and mantras during the day at work. And then of course there is my home, with my shrine and pictures of deities all around:

"Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend." Bhagavad Gita 18.65
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hari Om!

I must agree with yajvan on all aspects with the exception that I do wear mine to bed. No particular reason that I can think of for doing so, it's just something that I've always done.

Having the mala with you at all times makes it convenient to do japa anywhere and at any time. Further, having it around the neck as opposed to elsewhere keeps it close to the heart.

Om Namah Sivaya!
    Jai Hanuman!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    "Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend." Bhagavad Gita 18.65
    What you offer from kṛṣṇa-ji is more profound then one thinks.

The word kṛṣṇa uses is manmanā. This is man-manāḥ and is very important to grasp.

• man - no dobut means to think of, to remember. Yet there is a deeper meaning . It is 'to set the heart and mind on'; it also means to honour , esteem , value highly
    • manāḥ - is defined as 'devotion , zeal '
    So what kṛṣṇa-ji is telling us is beyond just thinking. It is that level of being in which we have set Him within our hearts in devotion and highly valued.
    When one has set Him in the heart it is there all the time 24 hrs. a day. He permanently and continuously resides with with us at our core; if we compare this with thinking, sometimes we think of Him, sometimes not.

Yet with manmanāthis is not the case. He is there in wake, dream and sleep there is no time one is away from Him.
    So, one asks , how can this happen ? It happens when one is possessed of the Self ( the Universal Self some may like to call turīyāvastha&#185.

praṇām

1. turīyāvastha - turīya + avastha or the state , condition, stability of turīya or the 4th.
    Last edited by yajvan; 07 December 2011 at 11:46 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I wrote in the last post,

So what kṛṣṇa-ji is telling us is beyond just thinking. It is that level of being in which we have set Him within our hearts in devotion and highly valued.
    When one has set Him in the heart it is there all the time 24 hrs. a day. He permanently and continuously resides with with us at our core; if we compare this with thinking, sometimes we think of Him, sometimes not.

It is important to note that what I have written is a profound experience. It is not on the level of intellectual choice i.e. oh, I will place the Lord in my heart, and I will do my best to remember him the best I can.

This is a noble effort - but effort no less. When the Supreme is seated within the ~heart~ there is no effort what so ever. No strain to remember Him. It would be like water remembering to be wet , there is no need , as the water is permeated by 'wet'.

So what am I trying to inform the HDF reader ? That full-and-simple spiritual experience of the Supreme is not mental gymnastics. It is not a mood, a mental position one takes; there is no pretending.
    It is the direct and personal experience of Cosmic Being that one comes to appreciate, to live, to be embraced by.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    It is the direct and personal experience of Cosmic Being that one comes to appreciate, to live, to be embraced by.
    I think I had a taste of that experience on the day I referred to in this post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...11&postcount=1 I have felt this many times since.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information