Thread: etiquette for meeting a Hindu nun or guru?

etiquette for meeting a Hindu nun or guru?

Namaste,

What is the etiquette when meeting a Hindu nun or a guru? I tried using the search function, but I didn't find the answer. I've seen a photo of a man prostrating himself before a nun. Is that what I should do? Should I bring something to give when I first meet a nun or a guru?

Thank you in advance to the kind person with the answer.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Re: etiquette for meeting a Hindu nun or guru?

When would like to give a special person within Dharma something to show them Love and respect, you could always bring fresh fruit or flowers.

Put them in a special basket, after you wash them well.

Good luck <3

Namaste Anucarh,

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    What is the etiquette when meeting a Hindu nun or a guru? I tried using the search function, but I didn't find the answer. I've seen a photo of a man prostrating himself before a nun. Is that what I should do? Should I bring something to give when I first meet a nun or a Guru ?
    It is Hindu custom to seek blessings of Guru/saint (male/female) by touching their feet by your hand and bowing while meeting them. You may also prostrate before them if you like it but that may not be necessary. You should take some fruits/flowers/gifts (which he/she can use) while going to see Guru/ a saint. At the time of departure, you may also offer some money at his/her feet, take blessings again before taking leave.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam: I touch the feet of all swamis I meet, in airports, at talks, etc. You bend on knees, and use both hands to gently touch their feet. They don't expect this, but they certainly know the custom, and will allow you to. Giving a flower or fruit is nice too.

Generally this is done only once, at the first meeting of the day, and not again 10 minutes later. But if there was another event in the evening, you might do it again. Same thing applies for temple priests in special circumstances like when dakshina is given for something larger.

I only prostrate full out for my own Guru, and that's a more formal thing in a formal setting.

I've never met a Hindu female swami, and I'd probably watch to see what others were doing before approaching.

But customs do vary. A simple namskaram is also done a lot. Handshakes and hugs are no-nos.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    Namaste,

What is the etiquette when meeting a Hindu nun or a guru? I tried using the search function, but I didn't find the answer. I've seen a photo of a man prostrating himself before a nun. Is that what I should do? Should I bring something to give when I first meet a nun or a guru?

Thank you in advance to the kind person with the answer.

praṇām
    Namaste,

You did not mention whether you are born Hindu or not.As members advised above,we bow to monks as a mark of respect.If you are new to Hinduism it might seem a bit weird or confusing.If you are feeling compelled to do it or if you do not want to bow and touch someone's feet,its okay.Not a problem.You can just show the Namaste gesture(PIC BELOW).It is equal to handshake + a lot of respect.
    If you would like to offer something, you can offer the items mentioned by members above.It is not compulsory but we present the monks/nuns something as they have taken renunciation from worldly activities and are dependent on lay people for their physical/material needs.A word of caution: Do not offer huge sums of money to anyone unless you feel they are worthy to receive it.There are some people who wear the garb of holy men for the sake of money.Be careful and support genuine monks/nuns.Do come back and share your experience with us.

NAMASTE GESTURE:

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste, NayaSurya ji, devotee ji, Eastern Mind ji, and Ram ji.

Thank you all for your help. It is good to feel prepared before trying something new. Some time in the next few weeks I will be visiting an ashram where a nun in the Ramakrishna Order resides. Sometimes a guru will visit there to teach.

Ram ji,

I'm new to Hinduism, but not to the idea of prostrations (although the style of prostrations I learned is different). I'm still trying to determine which Hindu community is the one I belong in. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

> Do come back and share your experience with us.

I will.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Thread Information