Thread: Neechbhanga & Vargottam

Neechbhanga & Vargottam

Hi Astroyogi's

I am sharing a chart with you, this native has Neechbhanga yog with Moon & Mars in his Moon chart.
    Will this yog help him in his life.

He is a friend of mine, he is having troubles in job, he does not stabalise even if the job is good enough, he gets bored soon enough.

He always says that he has a ambition of starting a trust which will run Ashrams for providing employment & training to poor & needy.

I believe to do this he has to earn a lot of money to do so. He is an engineer by profession and is running Ve Mahadasha till Year 2024.

Will he be able to build his own house and a trust for Ashrams.

He also has Moon & Jupiter as Vargottam in Lagna & Navamsha.
    What is the meaning & significance of Vargottam.

What does Sani retrograde in Lagna present in 11th House signify ?

DOB: 22/02/1976
    POB: Delhi
    TOB: 21:35:00

Warm Regards
    Nakai

Re: Neechbhanga & Vargottam

Hi Gurujis,

I am posting the natives Ketu dasha bhukti for your reference.

I enquired from my friend.

(there was a break in his studies during 1995-1996)
    He said during ketu dasha he was selected in an govt engineering college, all went fine. He was a bright student in Engg college having respect of fellow students & teachers alike.

He won some awards, gathered practical knowledge apart from theoretical knowledge.
    (Engineering started in 1996 - till 2001 - 5 year integrated course)

Finally when it was his final year, he could not sit in campus interviews (as he failed in one subject in University exams of pre final semester)
    Still he got 2 job offers from US & Netherlands (he could never join those jobs : Sept 11 2000)
    He got the paper re-evaluated and cleared with distinction, but the damage was done.

In June 2001 he came back home and got a okay job in a local company. (During this time his netherlands job was due, and his workit permit was in process).
    End july 2001, his employer told him to sign a bond of 1 year and he quit the job in 1 month.

He was at home from August 2001 till March 2002, this was a very painful period for him, he thought why did he study, when he has no job (severe mental agony, his mother helped him sail through this period; he was completelty shaken from his existence)

In April 2002, he got a job in an MNC, however he was transferred from Delhi to Chennai (again mentally disturbing for him to go far away from his home).

He somehow passed his time working day and night, he says there were days when he would go to office at 9:00 AM and return at 8 PM the nect day (he used to work without sleep to get back to his home town). He used to think could I go back to my hometown ever (this was his fear, at every moment)

In Aprill 2004, he changed his job and came back to Delhi, a rather relaxing period, he came in the same company of his fiancee, even the same department & same boss, from now on he was comfortable and regained faith in the Lord. (Venus dasha had started I suppose)

He married his fiancee in Jan 2006, he is in a good MNC, but at the moment wants to change job, as he says he is not using his capabilities in the current job (rather wasting time he says)

Warm Regards
    Nakai

Unhappy Re: Neechbhanga & Vargottam

is this discussion group not active.... no replies till now.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by nakai View Post
    is this discussion group not active.... no replies till now.
    Namaste nakai,
    I was hoping others would care to address your questions. As of late my studies and practice takes me away from jyotiṣh for the near term. I have no plans of evaluating charts at the moment, but hope others will take a stab at the questions found within this folder and posts.

That said, let me offer some definition for others that may not be familiar with the terms you mentioned in the original post.
    neecha or nIca or nīca नीच means fallen, depressed ; for jyotiṣh is means debilitated. A graha¹ ( ~ planet) that is in a debilitated rasi or bhava.
    Now one would think this is 'bad' and in many cases it is. But for spiritual aspirant having nīca graha-s ( not all, but a balance), is not a bad thing as nīca brings humility.
    Now there is a condition or yoga called neecha-bhanga raj yoga where a few planets are in there signs ( rasi) of debility and this debility is canceled due to them ( the graha-s) being in the other graha-s house of exaltation. Say Mercury is in Pisces and Venus is in Virgo. these locations are the debility signs of these graha-s. Yet both 'see' each other by rasi dristi and by graha dristi. This forms the neecha-bhanga raj yoga and cancels the negitivity of these fallen or ca positions.
    The other item mentioned is vargottama. This comes from varga वर्ग or division + tama तमor the most desired. So how is this applied to a graha?

It is the most desired division of a sign (rasi) that puts the graha in the same sign in the birth chart or rasi AND in the same sign of the navamsa ( or 1/9th) divisional chart when calculated.

A simple example: Say Sun ( ravi) is in Punavasu nakshatra in the sign of Cancer. Finding Ravi in Cancer in the 1/9th division or the navamsa chart , this then would be called the vargottama sun, as it appears in both the rasi and navamsa chart in the same sign ( rasi) of Cancer.
    Note that the graha may be in the 9th house ( bhava) in the natal chart or birth chart as some call it, yet in the navamasa chart it may reside in the 11th house in the navamsa chart. So vargottama applies to the rasi , or sign and is not defined by the house ( bhava) the graha may end up in, in the 1/9th divisional chart.

If you care to nakai ( or others) perhaps someone can tell us how the vargottama calculation is done to find 'best division' ?

pranams

1. graha ग्रह- that which binds, siezes, holds; grasps
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 August 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Neechbhanga & Vargottam: Vargottama Calc

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    I thought to offer the following regarding the navamsa and vargottama calculation to close out my last email above.

When we look to one's birth chart, the next in line is the Navamsa. or nava (9) + amsa (division or part). Many people consider the navamsa the most important divisional chart after the rasi or birth chart.

Lets call the rasi chart which is the janma kundali, the D1 chart and the navamsa , the 9th divisional chart D9. The D1 chart is considered the tree, and the divisional charts are considered the fruit. The first fruit to pick and see if ripe is the D9 chart. This chart is also called Dharmāmsa - dealing with one's dharma.

So, the purpose of this post is to determine if a graha is vargottama. The only way to do this is to see if the graha resides in the SAME sign (rasi) in the D1 and D9 charts. for that to occur the jyotihi needs to construct the D9 chart placement of the grahas. How is that done?

We will use Parāśara's instructions found in the Bṛhat Parāśara Horāśāstra, Chapter 6 ,12th śloka if one wishes to study this or look it up.
    So, some 'ingredients' that are needed.
    • You need to know which signs (rasi-s) are movable , fixed or dual.
    • You need to have the longitudes of all the graha's , by sign only and the longitude of the lagna
    • You need to understand the notion of a trine position ( the 1st, 5th and 9th house for location in question)
    Now lets offer the 'instruction' given by Parāśara . He says for calculating the navamsa ( or D9) for all movable rasi-s ( movable is called cāra) the navamsa begins from the rasi itself i.e. for Aries the navamsa will begin in Aries. For all fixed rasi-s (stira means fixed) rasi-s the navamsa will begin from the 9th rasi there from i.e. Capricorn. for all dual (also called dvisva-bhava) rasi-s the navamsa will begin from the 5th sign therefrom i.e. for Gemini the navamsa will start from Libra.

This is somewhat still in 'code' no doubt. Yet Parāśara starts with the first 3 rasi-s that start the zodiac in order, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd signs - Aries, Taurus and Gemini. These signs are in the order just narrated i.e. movable , fixed, and dual.
    For the Jyotiṣhi reading this you also know these 3 signs are governed by Brahma, Śiva and Viṣṇu. This pattern then repeats again i.e. movable , fixed, and dual with the next trika (3) of signs starting with Cancer, Leo , then Virgo. Like that this pattern of trika ( 3) movable , fixed, an dual goes around the zodiac until we arrive back at Aries.

Time for some examples
    Let's take a chart that has the moon (Chandr) in the 2nd pada¹ of Rohini, in Taurus and the angle ( or longitude) is 16º . Yet we need to offer a insight that will serve us well moving forward.

Some ground work needed
    Note that I said that the moon is in the 2nd pada of Rohini. Yet this is also in the 5th pada of the total sign if we divide up the sign into 9 equal parts (navamsa). 30º divided by 9 = 3º20' per division or amsa. If we take the longitude of the moon at 16º and divide by 3º20' = 4.80 pada-s.
    That is saying the moon has gone through 4 pada-s and completed 0.80 (80&#37 of the 5th pada in the sign. This 5th pada of the total sign tells me the following: It has completed the 1st nakshatra ( consisting of 4 pada) found in Taurus called Krittika; it is now in Rohini in which it completed the 1 pada of Rohini and now resides in the 2nd pada of Rohini, which is = to the 5th pada ( out of 9) of the sign.

Now why did I do that? Each sign contains the nakshatra's of the moon. You know them as Rohini, or Krittika, Aśvini ( Some write Ashwini). How many are there? 27. These 27 nakshatra's are owned by the moon and the moon transits through all 27 in a lunar month.

Nakshatra-s and pada-s - Only for those really interested ( if not, skip and go to the next part Vargottama)
    • Each nakshatra has 4 pada to them; 1 pada then = 3º20', yet a sign can only hold 9 pada ( 9 pada x 3º20' = 30&#186. That infers that some nakshata's spill over into another sign. How so? if 4 pada makes up 1 nakshatra then 4 pada x 3º20' per pada = 13º20' per 1 nakshatra.
    • Okay how many nakshstata can fit into a sign of 30º? Well 30º divided by 13º20' per 1 nakshatra , then 2.25 nakshatra fit per sign. That suggests the other 0.75 of one nakshatra spills over into the next sign.
    • This is exactly what happens in Aries. There are 2 1/4 nakshatras. The 3rd one starts in Aries, that is Krittika, yet finishes in Taurus.
    • Yet Parāśara is wise, as he never has any left over pada-s or nakshatra-s. Why? 360º of the zodiac divided by 3º20 per pada gives you exactly 108 pada's for the total zodiac. Notice the 108 number?
    • Also note 1 nakshatra = 13º20'. If we multiply 27 nashatra-s x 13º20' it equals 360º. All is right with the world, there is no left over nakshatra-s or extra pada-s, they all fit into the zodiac without issue.
    • Note there is a common theme of 3?
      movable , fixed, dual; 3 X 3 = 9 or the navamsa division; 9 graha-s; 3 X 9 = 27 nakshatras. This trika or 3 comes up very often and is at the core of many conversations we have here on HDF. Yet I digress.
    Vargottama and its calculation
    Recall from the last post :
    The other item mentioned is vargottama. This comes from varga वर्ग or division + tama तमor the most desired.
    Vargottama is considered the best division. We will find that the 'best' division occurs when a graha resides in a trine ( 1st ,5th, or 9th) pada of a sign. This is the best division, as it will deliver the graha to the same sign position in the navamsa (D9) chart. Why so? Trinal positions indicate prosperity and growth of the rasi or house in question. Trines are the home of Lakṣmī, hence suggesting the best possible division.

Calculating the navamsa division of a graha
    Back to the example...
    A chart that has the moon (Chandr) in the 2nd pada of Rohini, in Taurus and the angle ( or longitude) is 16º. Being in the 2nd pada of Rohini, it also resides in the 5th pada of the sign as mentioned above.

Now we apply Parāśara's rule.
    a. The moon is in Taurus and it’s a fixed sign.
    b. Since it is fixed, the navamsa division begins from the 9th there from so says Parāśara. That is saying count 9 signs from Taurus. Include the sign you are starting from as 1 and count 9.
    c. So we end up at Capricorn. Capricorn is now the BEGINNING point for calculating the Navamsa position of of the moon in the D9 chart.
    d. Now here is the reason we talked about all that extra pada information. Since the moon is in the 5th pada of the sign, we now count 5 more signs from Capricorn. We include Capricorn in the count, so it is 1.
    e. As we count 5 signs note that we end up back at Taurus. We have completed the formula Parāśara gave us. But you say, all that work and I am back where I started! Yes, that is because the Moon happens to be vargottama when it is in the 2nd pada of Rohini, which is the 5th pada of the sign. It is the 5th pada of a FIXED sign that makes it the best possible division = the definition of vargottama.

So here are the rules for vargottama
    1. For all fixed signs - if the graha resides in the 5th pada of the sign, it is vargottama, and is placed in the same sign in the D9, chart.
    2. For all movable signs - if the graha resides in the 1st pada of the sign, it is vargottama, and is placed in the same sign in the D9, chart.
    3. For all dual signs - if the graha resides in the 9th pada of the sign, it is vargottama, and is placed in the same sign in the D9, chart.

Another example
    The sun is placed at 2º Cancer, the 1st pada of the sign, in the Nakshatra of Punavasu. Yet it resides in the 4th pada of Punarvasu. This second piece of information e.g. it resides in the 4th pada of Punavasu; this was given just to be complete and as an fyi.
    Now lets apply the rule:
    Cancer is a movable sign, and the sun resides in the 1st pada of the sign, hence:
    2. For all movable signs - if the graha resides in the 1st pada of a movable sign, it is vargottama, and is placed in the same sign in the D9, chart. Now we have the sun that is vargottama which means in the D9, it also resides in Cancer; And the moon that is vargottama, also resides in Taurus.

Another example
    Venus resides at 25º in Gemini, the 9th pada of the sign, in the nakshatra of Punarvasu. Yet it resides in the 3rd pada of Punarvasu.
    Note that in the last example, the sun also resided in the nakshatra of Punarvasu, but in Cancer. Here is a nakshatra that straddles two signs. I mention this just as an fyi and it does not influence the calculation. Now lets apply the rule.
    Venus is in a dual sign, and it resides in the 9th pada of the sign, hence:
    3. For all dual signs - if the graha resides in the 9th pada of the sign, it is vargottama, and is placed in the same sign in th D9, chart.
    Now we have Venus that is vargottama which means in the D9, it also resides in Gemini. So the sun is vargottama, along with the Moon and now Venus.

Another example in which the graha is not vargottama. This is used to apply the rule of Parāśara and to place the graha in the correct sign in D9 regardless of being vargottama.

Jupiter is in 24º Aries, the 8th pada of the sign and the 4th pada of Bharani nakshatra. Now what? Aries is a movable sign, so Parāśara says start your count from the sign itself, Aries. Since it is in the 8th pada of the sign, I count 8 signs ( beginning with Aries) and this brings me to Scorpio. Jupiter then is deposited in Scorpio in the D9 chart.

Lets take a lagna - as it too must also find a home in the D9 chart. Lets say the lagna is located at 15º Virgo. This is in the 5th pada of the sign, yet the 2nd pada of Hasta nakshatra. We apply the rule for a dual sign. The count begins from the 5th sign from Virgo, always starting with the sign itself. So we count 5 signs, and end up at Capricorn. It is from here that we start the count. Since the Lagna is in thr 5th pada of the sign of Virgo, we now count 5 more signs from Capricorn and the Lagna ends up in Taurus in the D9 chart. Note the Lagna shares the same sign as the vargottama moon, that also resides in Taurus.

Are there other ways to calculate the placement of graha-s in the D9 chart and calculating vargottama? Sure, but I will only show other ways if requested. The process offered above is easy, and also gets the Jyotiṣhi very familur with the chart at the same time.

pranams
    offered Saturday, krishna saptami tithi; Saturn rules the hora ( the hour)
    and the day; Moon residing in 1st pada of Krittika, 9th pada of Aries
    hence, moon is in Sagittarius in D9 chart.

words
    • cāra चार- movable , motion, proceeding
    • sthira स्थिर- fixed , firm; immovable , motionless , still , calm
    • pada पद - a foot or footstep; a stride.We use this to suggest how many stides a planet is taking within a nakshatra
    Last edited by yajvan; 23 August 2008 at 10:59 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thanks Yajvan ji for the post.

May I request learned people of this group, to post a analysis of the queries raised by me.

Quote Originally Posted by nakai View Post
    Thanks Yajvan ji for the post.

May I request learned people of this group, to post a analysis of the queries raised by me.
    Dear Nakai,

I know its late but I just came across the details and since I have time did some evaluation. As per your last its been 3 years and in these 3 years as per my evaluation he must have left his last job in MNC and also must have had health problems which may have involved surgery.
    His present chart condition also does not indicate much goodness.
    As for the question you asked about ashrams that he may be able to built, I don't see the possibility till 2014.

He may do some pilgrimage in near future, but its important that he takes care of his health and gets more inclined towards spirituality.

He may have SERIOUS health issues in 2014 and 2017.

Regards

Ekoham
    Last edited by Ekoham; 19 July 2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Clerical mistakes
    Jo sahaj hai, saral hai, wohi satya hai!

Thread Information