Thread: Proposal to legalize prostitution to be placed before SC panel: NCW

Light Proposal to legalize prostitution to be placed before SC panel: NCW

Namaste HDF

This is a controversial topic. We are all adults so I believe we have the mental maturity to discuss this subject. Hope to hear readers views from the ethical, spritual, cultural (both historical & present) and last but not the least social angles.

Honestly I couldn't digest this proposal (it is like promoting polygamy) but we can't ignore the plight of sex workers im our country and the living standards of places like Kamatipura.

Ideally I would expect all men and women to be true to their partner, but we don't live in ideal world. Do we?

Major National TV channels during their prime time (7 to 9.30 PM) ARE concentrating of sexual abuses.

That is an indication of our present society and the problems associated with the growing menace as TV the heart beat of Indian middle class has embraced this important social cause than those mindless Saas Bahu (mother in law daughter in law) serials.

As this is a controversial topic I request members not to thrust their ideals on other members. Every day we mature, hope we have many things to learn about our own self in the process of healthy and accommodative discussions.

m.timesofindia.com/india/Proposal-to-legalize-prostitution-to-be-placed-before-SC-panel-NCW/articleshow/44973994.cms

Thank You....
    Last edited by Anirudh; 29 October 2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Anirudh...

Re: Proposal to legalize prostitution to be placed before SC panel: NCW

Dear anirudh
    I think its better to legalize prostitution as it has more to do with medical fabric than moral. We have our children,husbands,wives etc to do moral policing upon. Lets leave prostitutes. We arenot in their position so we should never speak for them or against them. Prostitution happens irrespective of legalization and through the latter we focus more on promoting safe sex than polygamy!!

With legalization there would be a system and with the system comes fear and it would infact regulate prostitution than spread it. Condoms and STD brochures would be distributed so it is a good thing. Lets not bring in personal morals to such important issues especially when the HIV rate is high.
    Also you shouldnt take all those sexual abuse shows personally. Crimes happen in a country of a billion, am not justifying them but it would be impractical to expect a zero crime rate there. And considering the patriarchal society that we have, men obviously(Especially the undereducated) think they have a birthright to sexism just like how even in spirituality most of us think we own copyrights to god just because the rituals are passed onto us from generations:P Without a change there wont be progress and without progress there wont be any growth whether it is in our society or spirituality.

And its surprising that polygamy makes you so distressed considering it infiltrated our society only after the british and considering most of our gods are polygamous. And considering even Krishna went to a prostitute called Kubja and im sure its not for playing a flute we can safely say patriarchy is a part of our system that needs to be cleansed first and we can then focus on prostitution.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by ajreddy View Post
    And considering even Krishna went to a prostitute called Kubja and im sure its not for playing a flute we can safely say patriarchy is a part of our system that needs to be cleansed first and we can then focus on prostitution.
    I have read this and find it quite amazing... you have found a way to put the most sublime devata-s and the Self Himself on the level of human behavior. Surely the gita ( chapt 9, verse 11)is absolutely correct in saying people do not know His real form.

iti sivam
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    namaste,

I have read this and find it quite amazing... you have found a way to put the most sublime devata-s and the Self Himself on the level of human behavior. Surely the gita ( chapt 9, verse 11)is absolutely correct in saying people do not know His real form.

iti sivam
    Namaste
    I do understand that when it comes to the self, positions of man made morality arent applicable. Yet when the highest self in the form of krishna played the role of a human he had to accept social brochures too. On the contrary if the idea is solely to conceptualize everything then i can find spirituality even in even sex and i am not against krishnas leela with that prostitute.If i can use the example of krishna lifting a govardhan why shouldnt i use the example of him visiting a prostitute? And why would you think it is me who is humanizing god when people themselves, unaware of reality, repose to man made stigmas about sex monogamy etc? Now do you expect me to believe krishna had 10 children per wife without natural procreation? Or if i think he really did does that make me any less of a devotee?
    You talk of me humanizing god but why should i be ok with divining a human act? And if we start looking for spirituality everywhere then i can find spirituality even in murders rapes etc. And i am not a person who accepts krishnas love to sudama and rejects krishna killing a washerman for refusing clothes or a rama killing a shudra for performing penance no matter what the thousand justifications are. I also know that scriptures definitely might have been altered as the ages passed so is there a wonder when you see a lot of brahminical superiority and discrepancies in them.
    I do know we have to look for "spirituality" in all the acts yet i am not elevated to the extent where i can accept everything on face value.
    If prostitution is wrong krishna wouldnt have visited a prostitute in the first place since in the very same gita krishna also says that even though he is liberated he still acts because common people follow what great men do or doesnt he? What i am saying is prostitution was as much a part of the society in those days as marriage.yad yad acarati sresthas
    tat tad evetaro janah
    Or if you can come up with a justification for the acts that i mentioned please free to release me of my doubts.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by ajreddy View Post
    Namaste
    Yet when the highest self in the form of krishna played the role of a human he had to accept social brochures too.
    Please note that that the Supreme has to accept nothing, no boundaries at all. This is the one supreme (para) feature of the Supreme - it is that of svatantra - complete and perfect independence; perfect freedom; self-dependent , self-willed and without boundaries. this ~behavior~ is depicted again and again within the mahābhārata.

To align the devata-s to that of human (paśu¹) conditions is not only missing the boat, it is confusion. Sexual congress amongst humans is driven by passions; and where do these passions come from ? The 3 guna-s.

Now, can this sexual congress be divine ? I am sure it can. Yet my point is, to think the behaviors of the devata-s and kṛṣṇa-jī fall into the passion-driven behavior is mis-reading a diamond as a rock.

But one says, what of tantra? We find this congress in tantra. After one reads/studies the tantrāloka ( chapter 29) then a better understanding will be available. But one will say, this is for the ascetic , the muni. Not at all. It is geared to the householder. It is found within the tradition of mantra-mārga.

So, one will read this and think I am opposed to the notion of sexual congress. That remains to be seen. My angst is concentrated on understanding how this sexual congress aligns to the devata-s and the Supreme. The ~stories~ about this ( of which are many) are saṁketa = hint, ideas, concepts , offered to talk about greater truths.

iti śivaṁ

1.paśu - any tethered animal; the domesticated animal; the wise assign the human condition to this group.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste ajreddy ji

Your statements have not differentiated between prostitution and polygamy. And as it is used as synonymous to one another, it is creating confusion.

1. I haven't linked polygamy and invasion. It is purely your view. So you should change your statements.

2. When you claim an occurrence of an event that is controversial provide evidences, otherwise your statements will trigger heated exchange with Shree Krishna devotees.
    2a. Also you have inform us with evidences, Shree Krishna being all powerful felt the need to satisfy himself by taking that mean step. Haven't you heard of words like women quarters?

2b. We have references of Human Slaves in our epic stories. But did we had sex slaves? Again sex slaves are different from prostitution, isn't it?

3. Polygamy is not healhy in our present world. If you think it is better for the society that we live today, kindly share your views convincingly.

4. Prostitution is a social evil promoting big business into the flesh trade. Human beings including under age are harvested mostly through illegal means. So let us know how legalizing prostitution is going to change or stop the disappearances of innocent people or other form of exploitation only to be seen in the market as finished product.

I don't want to give all pointers as there are many.

Thanks for sharing but do the needful to your post so that it makes better sense to readers.

[And its surprising that polygamy
    makes you so distressed considering
    it infiltrated our society only after
    the british and considering most of
    our gods are polygamous. And
    considering even Krishna went to a
    prostitute called Kubja and im sure
    its not for playing a flute we can
    safely say patriarchy is a part of our
    system that needs to be cleansed
    first and we can then focus on
    prostitution.]
    Last edited by Anirudh; 31 October 2014 at 06:45 PM.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    namaste,

iti sivam
    + Shreeman Naaraayan....

PS : Not mocking at the original post, that insured Yajvan ji to comment. I do not know a thing which surpass Shreeman Naaraayan in terms quality and quantity and other definable and indefinable measurable units...
    Anirudh...

Thread Information