Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sikh and Hindu traditions.....

Re: Sikh and Hindu traditions.....

namaste,

Please visit a gurudwara sahib and tell that to the sikhs there that are bowing down to the images of Guru Nanak, Guru Gobind and the Guru Granth Sahib.

I am starting to think that you have never been to a gurudwara sahib and you are pretending to be a sikh.

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post
    Images of gurus have no place in Gurudwara. If some gurudwara has that, its incorrect. The first lines of Guru Granth says that "God is done,Formless...". So anybody who is doing such is not following the sikhism.

You need to read stuff, before we can make fruitful discussion. You are not here to learn, and I don't have much time to argue.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    Please visit a gurudwara sahib and tell that to the sikhs there that are bowing down to the images of Guru Nanak, Guru Gobind and the Guru Granth Sahib.
    I am starting to think that you have never been to a gurudwara sahib and you are pretending to be a sikh.
    If your aim is to make me angry and leave this site forever, you are almost there.

Where in Golden Temple or Akal Takht are the images of Gurus. Where in Bangla Sahib, Sis Ganj (Delhi) ?

Which gurudwara have you seen images. Please post the photographs. I will send those to Sikh Missionary College, who may do the needful.

A respectful way for an Arya Samaji to talk about image/murti puja would be to say, we don't do that but many other hindu sects do it.

A respectful way for a Sikh to talk about image puja would be to say our faith does not allow it, but some adherents choose do it any way.

When I share space with a one eyed man, and I keep bringing up the fact that I have two eyes, I am essentially conveying to him that he is inferior to me, without using those words. Enough said!

Don't let religion drag you down and keep you from soaring to the heights of spirituality. You may quote me on that.

Satay and Darshan,

Veero, please cool it.

When I was a kid and got mad with a playmate, I would do a kutti, which lasted all of five minutes. If he really made me mad, I would do a pucki kutti, which lasted, maybe for a day. But we always made up and were friends again. That was then. Now I am a grown up man, almost close to the end. And I realize that this petty fighting and harboring animosity towards people, specially so close to my race/culture/background is poisonous and self-defeating. I try to make a conscious effort not to do that. I am not saying that I am perfect and I always succeed in that, but I always give it a shot. There is not much time left for kuttis - kachchi or pucki. I started this thread for us to get closer to each other, not to diverge. That is all I am going to say. You guys are grown ups, do what makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    When I share space with a one eyed man, and I keep bringing up the fact that I have two eyes, I am essentially conveying to him that he is inferior to me, without using those words. Enough said!
    Who knows. Maybe I am the one-eyed among two-eyed people. I am just saying - Hey just acknowledge that I am different in such and such way.

I think I said enough of what I wanted to say.

I have a some disagreements with Harjas Kaur, who, per me, sometimes presents incorrect picture of Sikhism. So, if you really want to know sikhism, read stuff other than her posts - I would recommend - sikhs.org - a good site with some comparison of sikhism with various religions. Read McLauliff, if you really have a lot of time.

So, with that, I take leave from this site, for at least a month.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post
    If your aim is to make me angry and leave this site forever, you are almost there.

Where in Golden Temple or Akal Takht are the images of Gurus. Where in Bangla Sahib, Sis Ganj (Delhi) ?

Which gurudwara have you seen images. Please post the photographs. I will send those to Sikh Missionary College, who may do the needful.
    Here in Canada there are many gurudwara sahib that have pictures all over the place. People bow to them. In sikh homes in punjab and everywhere there are pictures of guru nanak and gobindh singh. Sikhs bown to the images in the morning and evening.

Last time I visited Darbar sahib was in March 2009. I don't recall any images there so I will give you benefit of the doubt there. But have you not seen sikhs bowing to the darbar sahib itself! Darbar sahib itself is an idol! It doesn't matter what is written in our vedas or in the granth sahib, people are people and they will bow down to the image of their dear. Punjabis even bow down to the images of their dead ancestors what to say of gurus!

I really don't know where you are coming from? Have you ever been to Punjab?
    satay

Sorry, these types of sikh that don't know their own history make me frustrated.

I grew up in the dirt of punjab and this guy is telling me that sikhs don't bow to images! What nonsense is this.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Satay and Darshan,

Veero, please cool it.
    satay

Vannakkam:

I know nothing of Sikhism but have observed this thread. It seems that Sikhism may have a few variations, and many think their particular variation is the only one practised, but also the CORRECT one. Reminds me of some other eastern faith.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer ji

1) Comparing "Shabad Guru"Guru Granth Sahib ji with deity is Childish !
    2) I am not denying Caste still present among some Sikhs But it( Caste System) is against Sikhi Principles and and is rejected in Guru Granth Sahib ji .

squidji,

Thanks for stopping by. I am honored by your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by squid View Post

1) Comparing "Shabad Guru"Guru Granth Sahib ji with deity is Childish !
    I am sorry. It was out of ignorance, I meant no disrespect.

Quote Originally Posted by squid View Post
    2) I am not denying Caste still present among some Sikhs But it( Caste System) is against Sikhi Principles and and is rejected in Guru Granth Sahib ji .
    If you closed your eyes and just tried to hear yourself, you would see the fallacy of your statement. Someone making a statement, "I rob and kill and rape and plunder, but it is not sanctioned by my religion" - do you see anything there?

Thread Information