Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Sikh and Hindu traditions.....

Re: Sikh and Hindu traditions.....

Rajaputra, the original Kshattriya Singhs/lions.
    Please notice the beard.

Akali Nihang Singhs

Rajputs and Maharaja

Rajput warriors

Hair, like the Sarbloh metal chakrs, kirpans, tulwars, khandas, teers, and karas...holds Durga's shakti!

ਸਰਬ ਕਾਲ ਹੈ ਪਿਤਾ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥ ਦੇਬਿ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਮਾਤ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥
    Sarab kaal hai pitaa apaaraa|| Deb(i) Kaalikaa maat hamaaraa||
    Sarbloh Kaal (Bhairaav) is my Father and Destroyer of all, Devi Kalika is my mother.
    ~Shri Dasam Guru Granth Sahib Ji p. 174

Shiva/Mahesh/Rudra/Shankara

Adh Chand worn by Nihang Sikh: Khanda/sword (linga) united with Chandi's moon. Please notice the farla, material coming off the top of the Singh's dumalla represents the Ganges coming from the top of Lord Shiva. Sikhs are Shiv swaroop. (Certainly not Muslim appearance.)

Sadhu

Solar (suryavanshi) race from Lord Rama, dynasty of Rajputana Kshattriya Dharm. Note trishula at agni chakr representing triveni of 3 sacred nadis (ire, pinagala and shushmana) which meet at the confluence of the three (agni chakr) and is shown by such placement of the Adh Chand worn by Nihang Sikhs.

ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਰਵਿ ਰਹੇ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤੀ ਕਾ ਮੇਲੁ ॥
    jeh dhaekhaa theh rav rehae siv sakathee kaa mael ||
    Wherever I look, I see the Lord pervading there, in the union of Shiva and Shakti, of consciousness and matter.

ਤ੍ਰਿਹੁ ਗੁਣ ਬੰਧੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜੋ ਆਇਆ ਜਗਿ ਸੋ ਖੇਲੁ ॥
    thrihu gun bandhhee dhaehuree jo aaeiaa jag so khael ||
    The three qualities hold the body in bondage; whoever comes into the world is subject to their play.
    ~SGGS Ji ang 21

ਚਉਦਸਿ ਚਉਥੇ ਥਾਵਹਿ ਲਹਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
    choudhas chouthhae thhaavehi lehi paavai ||
    The Fourteenth Day: One who enters into the fourth state,

ਰਾਜਸ ਤਾਮਸ ਸਤ ਕਾਲ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥
    raajas thaamas sath kaal samaavai ||
    overcomes time, and the three qualities of raajas, taamas and satva.

ਸਸੀਅਰ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਸੂਰੁ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥
    saseear kai ghar soor samaavai ||
    Then the sun enters into the house of the moon,

ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਕੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
    jog jugath kee keemath paavai ||
    and one knows the value of the techniques of Yoga.
    ~SGGS Ji ang 840

Goddess Chandi/Durga on Sikh Battle Standard captured by British during Anglo-Sikh wars. Displayed at Lichfield Cathedral (Staffordshire, UK).

Quote Originally Posted by Yogkriya View Post
    You are right on.
    Hinduism contains all of it.

Sikhism is essentially based on impersonal Bhakti plus a few other elements that were necessary as per time and tide.
    In some ways, it took some features similar to Islam and muslims of the time like keeping beard etc.

There is nothing new in it that the Vedic Hinduism hasn't got.
    And who were the Sikhs? The glorious "Panch Peyares"?? They were the Hindus of Punjab!!! Who took up arms against the muslim oppression of the time under the able leadership of Guru Govind Rai (Singh). (Govind = one of the names of Krishna/Hari).

The identity differentiation is outward mostly. Inward, the Sikhs and the Hindus are pretty much sons of the same mother.
    And if we understand Nanak, inward spiritualistic understanding is important than outward image.

The "Ek Omkar" is the same OM of the Vedas.
    The "Akal Purukh" is "aakal purush": the Mahakaal.

And of course jo bole so nihal - Sat- Sri - Akal !
    Akal - that is beyond time - that is Mahakaal.
    Sadashiv - beyond time and space - eternal.
    So who - so ever glorifies the the great eternal God is blessed.
    Namaskar! Satsriakal.

Yogkriya
    Beard from islam? Don't you know Rajputs have beards, sadhus have them?

Why did Sikhs not copy muslims whole hog on this count, like shaving the upper lip? Turban has been worn all over India, in scores of styles.

What else did they copy? Marriage rituals, funeral rites. Do they or can they eat halal meat? NO.

What did Guru Goving Singh mean when he said that do not trust a muslim even if he swears by putting his hand in boiling oil?

Sikhs believe in formless Akal Purush, described as Par Nrahma in Upanishads, but nowhere so in kuran.

This forum concept is not a good way to discuss things, because there are always people who don't let the discussion further. I can't conclude whether its their motive or their inability.

Believer, I do want to discuss things with you. Though, we disagree on a lot, I see a way forward. Suggest a way so that Harjas, Satay and some others don't jump in and steer the whole thing away. As always, I will provide reference from guru granth sahib, not what a farmer on a tractor in my village says; or some pictures somebody has drawn; or some text some noname has written.
    Last edited by satay; 27 August 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: personal attacks on other members removed.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post
    Suggest a way so that Harjas, Satay and some others don't jump in and steer the whole thing away.
    If you internet sikhs don't know your history, have never been in punjab, are interperting the granth wrongly, insisting that sikhism dropped out of the blue sky without the backdrop of hindu sastra then we 'will' steer things in the correct way and teach you the correct sikh history. If you insist on staying in the dark about the beautiful sikh history then we can only feel sorry for you and advice you to go to other sites that will allow you to stay in the dark.

Thanks,
    Last edited by satay; 27 August 2010 at 05:58 PM.
    satay

I'd like to thank Harjas Kaur and Satay for continuing to educate us about the true roots of Sikhism and especially to Harjas Kaur for backing up the truth with so many various resources and actual FACTS. This is certainly better than just saying that my way is the right way and not feeling the need to expound on it.

Harjas Kaur, I have read many of your posts and have tried to find your back posts as well on this topic. You have really helped understand the Sikhism that my family practices. My mom was Sikh, and religion was not an issue when she married my Hindu father. Same with my Sikh grandfather that married my Hindu Brahman grandmother. There have always been pictures of Hindu deities at the family alters of all my Sikh relatives. I was never taught that they were completely separate religions. I didn't know that much about Sikhism though and when I got older I tried to do my own research on it and the descriptions did not match how my family prayed.

What you say here has finally made sense of the Sikhism in my family. Are there any resources you could recommend to me for further reading? (My mom has passed away and I'm not very close to my relatives on her side so asking them won't work)

Thanks!
    S

namaste Shanti,

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    I'd like to thank Harjas Kaur and Satay for continuing to educate us about the true roots of Sikhism and especially to Harjas Kaur for backing up the truth with so many various resources and actual FACTS. S
    If you want to learn the true sikhi go to punjab or meet someone who practices sikhi. I hope you don't meet people who say 'Ram' mentioned in the guru granth sahib is not Shri Ram of ayodhya or such nonsense like that!
    satay

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by Harjas Kaur View Post
    Begging cyber sangat ji's pardon as I was not able to edit the post and correct the Gurmuki over the tuuk properly and it was left hanging off other paragraph. This was unintentional and I was unable to correct. Perhaps Satay Ji will do so out of respect for the bani and place Gurmukhi script in proper order of the bani. Thank you.
    [/size]
    You should be able to do it yourself. Thanks,
    satay

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by rcscwc View Post
    rich. Sikhs claims, mistakely, they are closer to islam than Hinduism!! haha. Yet they cannot even share a meal!!
    I don't get this nonsense of the Internet Sikhs who have no punjabi background. Why would the gurus sacrifice their own young children against the terrorism of mullahs! The sikh literature is littered with pictures of muslims burning sikh warrior nihangs and young sikhs alive. One of the gurus lost two of his young children because muslims buried them alive in a wall!!

I shake my head on all this. As a hindu I should not care but as a punjabi it makes me sick!!

If I were a sikh, aligning myself to a mullah would be a great disgrace to sikhi, the gurus and the sacrifices they made!
    satay

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post
    Sikhs are distinct from muslims and hindus; Indian sikhs share a lot of cultural identity with hindus since it started in India.
    Reducing sikhi's association of hinduism by calling it mere 'cultural identity' is complete ignorance and a huge disgrace to sikhi and the gurus!

Please do not disgrace sikhi like that!
    satay

Thread Information