Thread: Inhaling Through Pingala

Inhaling Through Pingala

I notice that when I inhale through Pingala (right nostril) while blocking Ida I am unable to do it for as long as when I inhale through Ida (left nostril).

I came across this link, http://adishakti.org/subtle_system.htm , and was interested to see that each go to a different chakra, which I was unaware of for many months while practicing pranayama.

Which goes where?

Is this common?

Please correct me on any terms I may have misused and I thank you for taking the time to read my post.
    "The leprosy of unreality disfigured every human creature in attendance."
    - Charles Dickens

"Every blade of grass, every insect, ant, and golden bee, all so marvelously know their path, though they have not intelligence, they bear witness to the mystery of God and continually accomplish it themselves."
    - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Re: Inhaling Through Pingala

Namasté arjunah

As there seems to be a lack of response I shall start the ball rolling by offering that Ida Nadi is the left channel relating to our right brain lobe and that Pingala is our right channel relating to our left brain lobe.

I have read two differing ideas as to where these channels originate Swami Sivananda states that the emanate from the right and left testicle meeting at the Muladhara Chakra, yet another view states that Pingala starst at the Swadisthan Chakra where as Ida starts at the Muladhara Chakra.

The important thing to realise here to my mind is that this is the science of the subtle body. That this is a model of an otherwise very complex system which can be observed by looking within our selves. How we interpret or explain this system is not as important as how we feel it and see it for our selves.

Your Pranayama, is this a full Yogic breath or just a relaxed breath?

For your consideration, are you aware that your left lung volume is lower than that of your right lung volume?
    This is due to the position and volume of your heart and the emplacement of the liver to the diaphragm.

I am myself a student and offer these thoughts for your consideration not as black and white evidence but as the thoughts of one who is science minded and enthralled by the beauty of life.

Please feel free to correct me.

Peace

Mana

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namast arjunah

As there seems to be a lack of response I shall start the ball rolling by offering that Ida Nadi is the left channel relating to our right brain lobe and that Pingala is our right channel relating to our left brain lobe.

I have read two differing ideas as to where these channels originate Swami Sivananda states that the emanate from the right and left testicle meeting at the Muladhara Chakra, yet another view states that Pingala starst at the Swadisthan Chakra where as Ida starts at the Muladhara Chakra.

The important thing to realise here to my mind is that this is the science of the subtle body. That this is a model of an otherwise very complex system which can be observed by looking within our selves. How we interpret or explain this system is not as important as how we feel it and see it for our selves.

Your Pranayama, is this a full Yogic breath or just a relaxed breath?

For your consideration, are you aware that your left lung volume is lower than that of your right lung volume?
    This is due to the position and volume of your heart and the emplacement of the liver to the diaphragm.

I am myself a student and offer these thoughts for your consideration not as black and white evidence but as the thoughts of one who is science minded and enthralled by the beauty of life.

Please feel free to correct me.

Peace

Mana
    I understand what you mean by 'feeling it for ourselves'.

I'm not sure what you mean by a full Yogic breath.

I do the following from The Shiva Samhita:
    "
    In a beautiful hermitage the yogi should sit on a seat in Padmasana and practice breath exercises.

His body straight and his palms together, the wise yogi should pay homeage to his guru and then Ganesha on the right side and Kshetrapala and Ambika on the left.

Then the wise yogi should block Pingala with his right thumb, inhale through Ida, and hold his breath for as long as he can.

Then he should exhale through Pingala--gently, not quickly--before inhaling through Pingala and holding his breath for as long as he can.

He should exahle through Ida--gently, not quickly. Using this method of Yoga he should do twenty kumbhakas.
    "

I have not started holding my breath though. I have just been trying to keep it smooth and controlled.

The volume difference of the left and right lung seems to explain my question

Right now I feel my body is going through a change. Since I was 15 years old I can remember the time I began favoring my right side. I have been doing daily stretches for my hips and legs and I have slowly began to feel my my left leg wake up (for lack of a better term). I now have much more feeling in the very far left part of my leg from the top of the calf down to my pinky toe.

Thank you very much again for your time in reading my post and replying. It is appreciated.
    - Charles Dickens

"Every blade of grass, every insect, ant, and golden bee, all so marvelously know their path, though they have not intelligence, they bear witness to the mystery of God and continually accomplish it themselves."
    - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Quote Originally Posted by arjunah View Post
    I notice that when I inhale through Pingala (right nostril) while blocking Ida I am unable to do it for as long as when I inhale through Ida (left nostril).

I came across this link, http://adishakti.org/subtle_system.htm , and was interested to see that each go to a different chakra, which I was unaware of for many months while practicing pranayama.

Which goes where?

Is this common?

Please correct me on any terms I may have misused and I thank you for taking the time to read my post.

There is a natural breath alternation between Ida (left nostril) to pingala(right nostril) every 40-60 minutes(it varies). When Ida is active one is good at actions require mind power and when pingla is active one is good at actions require physical power. Once (with regular practice of Pranayama) the Prana, Apana unites at Manipura and the nostrils start to flow equally (at least at the time of practice).

It doesnt mean that one nostril is completely blocked when the other is active, its just a partial block, and when one tries to breath thorough the partially blocked nostril may find it difficult to breath and the active nostril looks easier.

Which goes where?

Prana bounces in between Manipura and Visudhi, whereas Apana bounces in between the Mooladhara and the Manipura.

On inhale Prana moves from Manipura to Visudhi and Apana moves from Mooladhara to Manipura, on exhale it happens the other way round.

With steadfast practice of Pranayama this usual flows gets to change and the Prana-Apana union takes place at the Manipura, the energy center of the whole system, generates vital energy helps the Sushumna come alive, leads to higher awakening.

This union makes the whole system balanced as the energy is sufficiently supplied to all 72,000 Nadis.

Love

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

I am reminded again and again on the importance of breath. If we look to patajalis yogadarśana ( his sūtra-s) and go to chapter 2 ( sādhana pada ), 50th sūtra , it is all about breath management. I cannot stress how important this is , as breath is connected to the mind. We manage the breath we manage the mind.

What are the components of breath? space, time and number. These 3 things :
    • space - the depth of breath
    • time - the amount of time between breaths
    • number - repetitions ( as in a practice of prāṇāyām)
    In yoga we manage the breath in a natural way...In kaśmir śaivism the movement of the breath is looked at ( identifed) in 3 different ways.
    • prāṇa śakti
    • ātma śakti
    • prabhu śakti
    With prāṇa śakti, the movement of breath takes place automatically - part of the autonomic nervous system. We are breathing but do not pay much attention to it. An example would be our breath in sleep - all going on automatically. Or during a conversation no one notices the breath, or when being entertained, this prāṇa śakti is on auto pilot.

With ātma śakti we are managing the breath coming in and going out. We decide how deep, how long to hold the breath, all that. Some call this conscious breathing. This method is the basis for many upāyae-s or techniques , found in the āṇavopāya approach.

With prabhu śakti the movement is by the grace of the Supreme. The prāṇa enters the madhyā-nādī some call the suṣumnā, the central or principle nerve (nādī ).

More on prāṇa can be found on this HDF string:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3911

praṇām

1. More on this āṇavopāya here : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...39&postcount=4
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I am reminded again and again on the importance of breath. If we look to patañjali’s yogadarśana ( his sūtra-s) and go to chapter 2 ( sādhana pada ), 50th sūtra , it is all about breath management. I cannot stress how important this is , as breath is connected to the mind. We manage the breath we manage the mind.

What are the components of breath? space, time and number. These 3 things :
    • space - the depth of breath
    • time - the amount of time between breaths
    • number - repetitions ( as in a practice of prāṇāyām)
    In yoga we manage the breath in a natural way...In kaśmir śaivism the movement of the breath is looked at ( identifed) in 3 different ways.
    • prāṇa śakti
    • ātma śakti
    • prabhu śakti
    With prāṇa śakti, the movement of breath takes place automatically - part of the autonomic nervous system. We are breathing but do not pay much attention to it. An example would be our breath in sleep - all going on automatically. Or during a conversation no one notices the breath, or when being entertained, this prāṇa śakti is on auto pilot.

With ātma śakti we are managing the breath coming in and going out. We decide how deep, how long to hold the breath, all that. Some call this conscious breathing. This method is the basis for many upāyae-s or techniques , found in the āṇavopāya¹ approach.

With prabhu śakti the movement is by the grace of the Supreme. The prāṇa enters the madhyā-nādī some call the suṣumnā, the central or principle nerve (nādī ).

More on prāṇa can be found on this HDF string:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3911

praṇām

1. More on this āṇavopāya here : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...39&postcount=4

Thank you for your post.

I can recall being a child of around 12 years of age and playing football (soccer). I was able to run for such a long time without breaking a sweat. I still have a vivid memory of another boy mentioning it after we were done doing our laps. The coach suggested to my parents that I should try out some long distance runs, but I was always a hesitant child and did not want to pursue something new and unfamiliar.

As I got older, and objects became more and more important to me, I can recall being in situations (one in particular) where I had high anxiety, and noticed that I had been holding my breath for quite a long time, or taking very small breaths. At this point in time, I had no knowledge of spirituality besides Catholicism.

Working on my breath, along with studies, has helped me become more self aware, but at the same time aware of how others are feeling in social situations. It is hard to explain, but I can recall situations in the past year where I have been able to realize when I am anxious/nervous and sort of... bring myself back, and I can also notice when others are feeling uncomfortable.

Hopefully one day I will be comfortable in all situations at all times

I will be sure to check out the links you posted.
    - Charles Dickens

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Thread Information