Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guru Puja?

Guru Puja?

Namaste Everyone!

Can anyone pls tell me how pooja can be performed for a Guru! the mantras, various steps, right time, does it have to be performed everyday or on perticular days may be like GURU POORNIMA! etc that are required to Perform pooja for Guru!

Thanks All!
    Om Namah Shivay!

Re: Guru Puja?

Hari Om!

Not the full requirement that you are looking for, but some ideas none the less.

http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual...urupurnima-day

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by Medha View Post
    Namaste Everyone!

Can anyone pls tell me how pooja can be performed for a Guru! the mantras, various steps, right time, does it have to be performed everyday or on perticular days may be like GURU POORNIMA! etc that are required to Perform pooja for Guru!

Thanks All!
    Even I also do not know the procedure of Guru Puja, but I am told that It is the worship of Guru Tatva which is none other than Brahman.

I listen to Guru Gita sung by Swami Brahmananada of Chinmaya Mission on Guru Poornima, or on any other day I wish to listen. Guru Gita is all about the glories and importance of a Guru.

Guru is not physical body, though even physical body is considered Ishvar Tulya, but not Ishwar.

Again there should not be any mantras coined by disciples like OM namo bhagavate Chinmaya.

Shri Gurubhyo namah is different. It points to Guru Tatva Brahman

Best worship and service of a Guru is to live the life Guru says. Obey his updeshas and aadeshas (orders) with full faith.

Best thing, according to me, to do on Holy days and on Guru Poornima is to Meditate

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

You bow to your Guru everyday before meditation. But worship is done on Guru Poornima.

Again, As I have said, in my opinion, worship should be done to Guru Tatva and not physical body.

Any Puja is better done in Brahma Muhurata or in morning or in evening.

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste Everyone!

Thanks All!
    Even remembering one's guru's form is Guru puja. Best Guru puja is constantly from time to time remembering his form & meditating on it in the heart.

However for the initiated in shakta mode of worship, the formality can be as below :-

Guru is meditated in the end-of-twelve / dvadasanta with the paduka mantras one receive during initiation.

- one can make use the paduka stotra to visualize the guru paduka and kamakala
    - use guru dhyana slokas (as in shyama rahasya) to visualize his form with his shakti
    - do manasa puja by mentally offering 5 elements corresponding to the 5 points in the body
    - do puja/tarpana on top of one's head with paduka mantra in mriga mudra, to guru, param guru parapara guru and paramesti guru
    - do japa of guru paduka mantra or simply the bija aIM
    - japa samarpan
    - guru pranam [akhanda mandalakaram etc.]
    - guru stotra
    - offer to ogha-traya [3 guru mandalas, human, semi-divine and divine]

One can move to ajapa offering, which very much links well with the guru puja.

This is done the first thing every morning & during any other puja, but can be done at other times.

Buddhist vajrayana guru yoga is also interesting and has similarities with above.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 19 July 2012 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    worship should be done to Guru Tatva and not physical body
    Ideally they are not different in worship.

If your intention is to worship body and not guru tatva, which is brahman, then they are different, as the approach is different.

Guru Gita says, we have to sit in front of Guru with dvaita bhava, as their servant, and not from advaita standpoint. From advaita standpoint everything is one and same and ever worship goes to Brahman, says Krishna in Gita. So Guru paduka worship is just on Guru Poornima day.

Rest all hymms are to Guru tatva. Guru krupa means Shiva Krupa.

anyways, all understanding and interpretations are subjective.

Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality View Post
    If your intention is to worship body and not guru tatva, which is brahman, then they are different, as the approach is different.

Guru Gita says, we have to sit in front of Guru with dvaita bhava, as their servant, and not from advaita standpoint. From advaita standpoint everything is one and same and ever worship goes to Brahman, says Krishna in Gita. So Guru paduka worship is just on Guru Poornima day.

Rest all hymms are to Guru tatva. Guru krupa means Shiva Krupa.

anyways, all understanding and interpretations are subjective.

Aum
    I was not talking about external ritual to the living guru's feet - but to your points, non duality is not restricted to sentiments (bhava) only.

Namaste Everyone!

Thanks All!
    Guru is the one who takes you from darkness to light, he is the one who should be thanked and "wroshipped" daily for you need his blessings if you have to progress in your path

Submitting before you Guru Stuti.

If you have been initiated under any guru; before your prayers; think of him, thank him and offer him your devotion and recite this stuti and then do your puja.

If not, then may be take god as your guru and do the same till you get lucky and your guru finds you

GURU STOTRAM (Prayerful glorification of the Spiritual Teacher)

Akhand-Mandalakaram vyaptam yena characharam. Tatpadam darshitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Akhand – unfragmented; Mandalakaram – one infinite whole; vyaptam – pervades; yena – by which; characharam – movable & immovable; Tadpadam – That state; darshitam – has shown; yena – by whom; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – guru, teacher; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that Guru who revealed to me that Truth, which is unfragmented, infinite, timeless divinity, and which pervades the entire universe – movable or unmovable.

Agyan timir-andhasya Gyananjan Shalakaya. Chakshur-oonmeelitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Agyan - Ignorance; timir – cataract; andhasya – blinded; Gyananjan – medicinal collyrium; Shalakaya – collyrium stick; Chakshur – my eyes; oonmilitam – opened; yena – by whom; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that reverential teacher, who opened my eyes, by applying the divine collyrium of self-knowledge in my eyes, which had got blinded by the cataract of ignorance.

Gurur-Brahma Gurur-Vishnu Gurur-Devo Maheshwarah. Guru-sakshat Para-Brahma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Gurur - Guru; Brahma – Creator; Gurur - Guru; Vishnu – Sustainer; Gurur - Guru; Devo – the divine; Maheshwarah – the Destroyer; Guru Sakshat – the Guru is verily; Para-Brahma – the transcendental divinity (which is the very basis of all the three); tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    Guru himself is the creator, sustainer and the destroyer. He is verily the very transcendental divinity, (the timeless life-principle, which is the very essence of the creator etc.) My reverential salutations to that glorious teacher.

Sthavaram jangamam vyaptam yat kinchit sacharacharam. Tatpadam darshitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.
    Sthavaram - animate; Jangamam – inanimate; Vyaptam - pervades; yat – that which; kinchit – every vee-bit; sacharacharam; inclusive of everything movable or immovable; Tadpadam – That state; darshitam – has shown; yena – by whom; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – guru, teacher; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that reverential teacher, who revealed to me that which pervades everything in this world, whether animate-inanimate, or movable-immovable.

Chinmayam Vyapi yat-sarvam trailokyam sacharacharam. Tatpadam darshitam yena tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Chinmayam – The self-effulgent diviity; Vyapi – pervades ; yat – that which; sarvam – everything; trailokyam – the three worlds; sacharacharam – inclisive of everything which is movable or immovable; Tadpadam – That state; darshitam – has shown; yena – by whom; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – guru, teacher; Namah – my salutations.
    My salutations to that glorious Guru, who revealed to me that self-effulgent divinity (the pure unconditioned consciousness) which pervades all the three worlds, with all its movable and immovable objects.

Sarva-Shruti shiro-ratna virajit-padambujah. Vedantambuja Suryo yah tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.
    Sarva-Shruti – Of all Vedas; Shiro-ratna – crown jewel; virajit-padambujah – abide at his lotus feet; Vedantambuja – the lotus of vedanta; Suryo - sun; yah – he who; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that reverential teacher, who is like a sun for the blossoming up of the lotus like mantras of upanishads; and at whose lotus feet lie the beautiful flowers, symbolizing the best of jewels of vedas.

Chaitanya Shashwatah shanto vyomatito niranjanah. Bindunaad kalatitah tasmai shri Gurave Namah.

Chaitanya – Consciousness; Shashwatah - eternal; Shanto – of the very nature of peace; vyomatito – transcending space (& time); niranjanah – taintless; Bindu – the concept of zero; Naad – the primordial sound; kala – parts; atitah – transcending; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that reverential teacher, who is verily the eternal consciousness, which is of the nature of peace. He transcends space (& time), the concept of zero, the primordial sound and all parts.

Gyanshakti-samaroodhah tattwamala vibhooshitah. Bhukti-mukti -pradata cha tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Gurur - Guru; Brahma – Creator; Gurur - Guru; Vishnu – Sustainer; Gurur - Guru; Devo – the divine; Maheshwarah – the Destroyer; Guru Sakshat – the Guru is verily; Para-Brahma – the transcendental divinity (which is the very basis of all the three); tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that glorious Gurudev, who is established in Knowledge and Power, who is adorned with the garland-of -Knowledge and who grants both worldly prosperity and spiritual liberation.

Aneka-janma-sampraptah-karma-bandha-vidahine. Atma-gyan-pradanen tasmai Shri Gurave Namah
    Aneka – Of many; Janma – births; sampraptah - accumulated; karma-bandha – the bondage of action; vidahine – burns down; Atma-Gyana - The Self-Knowledge; pradanena – by imparting; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    My Salutations to that reverential teacher who by imparting the Self-Knowledge, has burnt away the very bondage of actions in a whiff, which had even though taken infinite lives to accumulate.

Shoshanam bhavsindhoshcha gyapanam saarsampadah. Guroh-padodakam samyak tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Shoshanam – drying up; Bhava-sindhosh-cha – the endless sea of seeking; Gyapanam – by enlightening me about the; saarsampadah – the true wealth; Guroh – of the guru; padodakam – the water left behind after washing the feet; samyak – fully; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    Even by the very sipping of the charanamruta (the water with which the feet of guru are washed), we get blessed by the eternal wealth (of liberating knowledge), and which dries up the endless ocean of seeking & the subsequent sorrows. My Salutations to the lotus-feet of that glorious Gurudev.

Na Guror-adhikam tattvam na Guror-adhikam tapah. Tattva-gyanat-param nasti tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

Na – There is no; Guror – than Guru; adhikam – higher; tattvam – truth; na – there is no; Guror – than Guru; adhikam – higher; tapah – penance; Tattva-gyanat-param – higher than the knowledge of truth imparted by the guru; nasti – does not exist; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    There is no higher truth than the Guru, no higher penance than (service to) the Guru, and there is nothing higher than Realisation of the Knowledge of the truth imparted by the Guru. My salutations to such a Gurudev, who is himself that very timeless truth (and who has taken up a form to bless his disciples like us with real knowledge).

Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu. Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.
    Man-naathah – My Lord; Shri Jagan-naathah – is the Lord of the universe; mat-guru – My teacher; Shri-Jagad-Guruhu – is the Teacher of the entire universe; Mad-atma – My Self; Sarva-bhutama – is the Self of all; tasmai – to that; Shri – glorious; Guruve – Guru; Namah – my salutations.
    My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Brahmanandam paramsukhadam kevalam gyanamutim, Dvandvateetam gagansadrasham tattva masyadi-lakshyam.

I bow to Sadguru, who is bliss of Brahman and the bestower of the highest joy. He is absolute.He is knowledge personified.

Ekam nityam vimalam achalam sarvadhee sakshi bhutam, Bhava teetam triguna rahitam sadgurum tam namami

He is beyond duality.He is one.He is eternal, pure, steady and witness of all thoughts. He is beyond all modifications and free from the three gunas.

Nityam shuddham nirabhasam Nirakaram niranjanam, Nityabodham chidanandam Gurum brahma Namamyaham.

I bow to the guru who is Brahman, eternal and pure. He is beyondperception, formless and without taint. He is eternal knowledge, consciousness and bliss.

Dhyan moolam gurur murtih pooja moolam guroh padam, Mantra moolam gurur-vakyam Moksha moolam guroh kripa

Meditate on Gurus' form, worship the Guru's feet.Guru's words are mantras. Liberation is attained by Guru's grace.

Tvameva mata cha pita tvameva tvameva bandhushcha sakha tvameva. Tvameva vidya dravinam tvameva tvameva sarvam mama-dev-deva.

Tvameva – You alone; Mata – the mother; cha – and; pita-tvameva – you alone are the father; tvameva – You alone; bandushcha – are the brother, and; sakha tvameva – you alone are my friend; Tvameva-vidya – You alone are the knowledge; dravinam tvameva – you are the wealth; tvameva sarvam – you are everything for me; mama-dev-deva – O My ultimate God O God!
    You alone are my mother, my father, my brother, and my friend. You alone are the knowledge, my real wealth. You are everything for me. You are verily my God alone.
    Hope it helps

@goodlife,

I think these are taken from Guru Gita

Googled for it and found this link

http://www.mychinmaya.org/bv/bvresou...urustotram.pdf

jayakula.org/pdf/Sri%20Guru%20Stotram.pdf

Thanks for sharing

Aum

Thread Information