Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is god pleased when we pray to him?

Re: Why is god pleased when we pray to him?

Namaste
    We need God, God doesn't need us.
    We are pleased when we pray to God,but I would bet all the money in the world that it makes 0 difference to God
    "Names and forms are like bangles and braclets and Vishnu is like the Gold." - Adi Shankara

I understand the sentiment that god does not need our worship but I am inclined to believe the opposite - that both he (she) and also us need worship.

It is believed that when first Sri Brahma got the 'Ranga Vimana' of deity Sri Ranganatha from Vaikuntha to be established for Brahma deva's personal puja at Satya-loka, Sri Ranganatha gave Brahma very elaborate instructions on how to worship him, and also instructed that never even one time should the instructions be forsaken.

Each day we pour tons of gallons of milk over vigrahas at temples, and also in addition offer pricey food items like ghee, cooked food like panchamirta, honey, etc over the vigrahas. In olden days people also used to toss golden jewels at the fire rituals (homa) as a token of respect.

If it is only we that needs spiritual practices, we can simply do pujas and sadhanas at home, whereas it becomes important to do the above stated to the deities at temples, that is, follow precise and timely procedures that are very elaborate and impossible for a common man to do.

So if god does not need it, why are these forms of worship important?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Sri Mathre Namaha,

God doesn't need anything. We offer to God what we need so that He/She would give it back to us exponential.

Regards,
    Rameeshh
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

We do not give any benefit to God, he has the fullness of everything already and we cannot take away or add to it. Rather it is us who benefit by our relationship with the supreme. By associating with the highest truth and goodness we are better off than associating with ephemeral and ultimately untrue.

Another way I look at it is like how a parent does not gain any quantifiable benefit from some little craft their child makes for them but accepts it and cherishes it because of the child, not the thing its self.

Om
    Namaste

Many times it has happened that I had jotted down the post and when uploading it found the net is gone or the laptop hanged - thus all of efforts washed away. It happened with this thread also. I hangedup my boot for sometime. Returned and found this thread still alive. So my next try.

How is God pleased with our prayer ? This has two parts - our prayer and God getting pleased.

fact that we are mentioning that God gets pleased means that it affects us positively. So I can rephrase the sentence as How is prayer affect us positively ?

Human mind has ego and desire. Desire - drives us - it is a shifting goalpost of elusive peace and happiness. Ego creates a boundary around us. These two together deters us to look inside where the prmanent peace and happiness lie.

Now prayer means submission - means overcoming ego. Regular prayers lead to erosion of ego. Thus prayers have one effect - erosion of ego. Once ego is down - the boundary gets weaker and rigidity & stubborness are reduced. This brings in flexibility and the ability to adapt which in turn expands the field of peace and happiness.

Now the other part - desire. Praying to God with a desire in mind creates the kind of state of mind, which directs the actions towards that. The desire i met either in this life or next. Now that desire might be right or wrong for him - but it is desired and thus fulfilled. This fulfillment also brings happiness and peace (however temporary it may be).

Now is there a direct intervention of God ? I doubt. The system is built such as to take care of these.

However it has been observed that through constant prayer the mind moves beyond ego and desire - however time it might take.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

God is pleased when we pray because pray reduces ego, and the reducing of ego increases concentration, and the concentrated meditation is the true mediation
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Thread Information