Thread: Jnaneshwar Maharaj Quotes

Jnaneshwar Maharaj Quotes

Hari Om!

Ran across "The Nectar of Self-Awareness" by Jnaneshwar Maharaj and although just into the beginning pages, found some meaningful passages that I'd like to submit.

Chapter 1, #62 "A man comes to himself
    When he wakes from sleep.
    Likewise, I have perceived the God and Goddess
    By waking from my ego."
    #63 "When salt dissolves,
    It becomes one with the ocean;
    When my ego dissolved,
    I became one with Shiva and Shakti"

I don't know what to say except simply beautiful, deeply meaningful and humbling.

I'm currently studying in chapter 2 of the Bhagavad Gita where Krishna is showing Arjuna his state of mind so that he may lead him to a better state. Somehow I feel like these verses are the bridge from where one stands in delusion to where one must to attain enlightenment. My mind is peaceful and calm as I read these verses.

Comments from anyone else would be appreciated, both on the quotes or on Jnaneshwar Maharaj as well. I know so little of him.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Re: Jnaneshwar Maharaj Quotes

Namaste C.Smith,

Lovely passage. Thanks for sharing it with us. I agree that reading such affirmations from great teachers and spiritual seekers have the capacity to fill their readers and listeners with a great sense of reassurance.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Jnaneshwar Maharaj Quotes

Namaste

DnyAneshwar Maharaj was primarily a Yogi, and a bhakta. His entire DnyAneshwari (a.k.a. BhAvArtha Deepika --- commentary of Bhagvad Gita), is beautiful poetry, in the form of ovee ( - plural: ovyA , poetic stanzas to be sung). The purpose was to bring the Bhagvad Gita to the masses, and gRhasta, who did not know saNskRt. So he translated it in old Marathi - the prevalent regional language of Maharashtra (ALandi).

Although there is focus on advaita and ashtAng yog as he comes in the NAth Sampraday, i find the chapter 12 (Bhakti Yog) beautiful - where he describes the bhakta - in the "such a devotee is very dear to Me" verses. He says the bhakta (who becomes brahma-bhUta as a side-effect) compartments his heart into two parts - the Lord resides in one half, bhakta in the other :

DnyAneshwari (expansion of Bh. Gita by DnyAneshwar MahAjrAj)
    FOR BG 12.16 <---> Dny. Ovee 172 to 189

O Arjuna, the one who has no desires, feels no need, whose existence itself is blissful...
    In the association of Saints, one is liberated in this very life. Climbing the HimAlayas is dangerous , but there is no danger in the company of saints. In their heart , is infinite love, much bigger than the HimAlay.

The river Ganga is all pure (pavitra), yet there is a fear of drowning. In the company of Saints there is no fear of any kind.

Just as the space - AkAsh encompasses everything (vyApak) and is indifferent to the happenings in the world (udAseen), the mind of the bhakta , being in union with Brahman (bramharUp), is renounced (udAseen) and desires to do nothing or know nothing.

Just as the Sun is pure inside out, he is pure inside out and always satisfied, in a pleasant mood. While working he lacks the ego (abhimAn) that "I am the doer".

THAT devotee reached the limit of "I am That Brahman" in the spirit (bhAv) of sameness (sAmyAvasthA), and has become complete by reaching the other shore of duality (dvait).

There is no room for duality in his mind, yet keeps the minimum duality and enjoys the bliss of devotion to Me. He divides his heart into two compartments. To one he gives My name (for Me to dwell) and stays in the other half.

Such devotees become My hobby (chhanda). That bhakta is the object of My meditation. I gain satisfaction only if I meet him.
    I have to take various kinds of forms for his sake. I have to descend (avatAr). He is so dear to Me that I feel like protecting him from all evils (one translator writes "meeth-moharya").

----

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information