Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something new to discuss - The Prophecy of a Golden Age in Kali Yuga

Something new to discuss - The Prophecy of a Golden Age in Kali Yuga

Namaste.

So the other day, I had a 15 minute conversation with an ISKCON member in an airport waiting area after seeing someone off for a flight. He told me about the "Golden Age of the Kali Yuga".

Admittedly his perspective was biased towards an ISKCON interpretation, but as it was explained to me that a source of this revelation was the Brahma Vaivarta Purana, it seems to me it cannot be a subject only for the ISKCON sect but a good fit for comment by all Vaishnava sects and a discussion that may inspire "old members who are bored discussing the same subjects over and over again" as was noted in some recent replies of another post.

Actually for me, when it comes to Hinduism and it's diversity, there is no dirth of subjects inclusive of what some may consider trivia that could keep me gabbing forever, and it isn't boredom as an issue but other things. Hopefully others won't find this subject boring or repetitive. Perhaps it will inspire replies, and while some Saiva's may not find interest to respond, and I am a Saiva, there could be some and certainly I think the Vaishnava section is a good fit and will awake some from falling asleep at the keyboard. It certainly was interesting to me, and am wondering if others have some input or information regarding this "Golden Age in the Kali Yuga".

So the ISKCON member was keen to let me know about the foretelling of a "Golden Age" told by Krishna to Ganga Ma, that during the Kali Yuga upon after the first 5,000 years of this dark age there would be a period of 10,000 years of a wonderful renaissance of devotion, a Golden Age prophecised in the. Brahma Vaivarta Purana where, just as Mother Ganga in Her embrace accepts all who dips into Her waters, so those who are bhaktas will have the ability to also attract true seekers and, even in the Kali Age where all are less than sudras, that such bhaktas would have "the power" by grace of Bhagavan to simply, and literally, by their embrace can purify others just as Mother Ganga, that sin can be destroyed and devotion can actually easily be achieved in Kali Yuga, verily the embrace by such devotees will be a Ganga Jal "Just as dry grass is burnt by fire, by the embrace of My devotees all sins are burnt."

So my question is (1) have others heard of this?. (2) if this renaissance if true, surely it is already upon us or soon to be if it is to begin but 5,000 years after the start of this Dark Age, for hasn't 5,000 years have already passed?

Let the boredum end, hopefully this is a new subject that excites others including older (bored?) members and may this post live long before closure.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Something new to discuss - The Prophecy of a Golden Age in Kali Yuga

Namasteji

Everyone says the same thing.Last time i remember a sahaja yogi told me the same thing about how kundalini yoga will blossom in this godforsaken age where irreligion is accepted as religion and messengers and prophets are treated as God,and Adi shakti incarnated as nirmaladevi to give the right direction and perspective. And every sect more or less has the same prophecies. But it is only unto individuals to discern and contemplate making sure it wont end up in untruth. As there is a thin line between faith and factual truth. And just because we have a strong faith based on emotions of fanaticism, we wont get liberated.
    I personally think the problem with Iskcon is its literal interpretation of scriptures especially puranas and its inability to comprehend vedas and upanishads.
    And ofcourse its biased translations. My point is if only it has biased translations to offer why does it not write a separate set of upanishads/vedas called iskcon vedanta. Because by diluting original vedanta it is insulting the intelligence of the sages.

Il give you a proof

Isha upanishad 14
    sambhūtiṁ ca vināśaṁ ca
    yas tad vedobhayaṁ saha
    vināśena mṛtyuṁ tīrtvā
    sambhūtyāmṛtam aśnute

Word for word:
    One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Śrī Kṛṣṇa and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes, as well as the temporary material creation with its temporary demigods, men and animals. When one knows these, he surpasses death and the ephemeral cosmic manifestation with it, and in the eternal kingdom of God he enjoys his eternal life of bliss and knowledge.
    Now where do you see the word Krishna in this verse???

hiraṇmayena pātreṇa
    satyasyāpihitaṁ mukham
    tat tvaṁ pūṣann apāvṛṇu
    satya-dharmāya dṛṣṭaye

Word for word:
    O my Lord, sustainer of all that lives, Your real face is covered by Your dazzling effulgence. Kindly remove that covering and exhibit Yourself to Your pure devotee.
    Really?? So this verse is asking Krishna to show His face? Really? And a devotee????

So it is no wonder that person told you so many things about the golden age based on his interpretion or misinterpretation of the purana and may be he thought anything that is mistranslated to suit his faith will lead to liberation and worse he expects God to back him up here And in this case that person thought Ganga can purify the body.
    Two years back my childhood buddy in vrindavan told me the same thing and told me how Yamuna can purify all the sins and drank yamuna water and ended up in a hospital with diarrhea and worse he even told me the diarrhea is indicative of sin removal and that he is lucky that god removed his karma by making him pass loose stool:P

Eitherway you should have asked that person to drink some ganga water and give you a proof of its sin cleansing action :P
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 18 July 2014 at 07:39 PM.

Thank you ganeshamylord,

I am sort of sad actually if it is not true, not that I would take literally what ISKCON would say, but in general the hope that perhaps even though I am here in the Kali Yuga there might be some respectful salvation and hope for easy way to find a Golden change in society, because I am getting sickened by the cats and dogs all around me, as I get older it seems things as far as gentlemen and gentlewomen, respect for others and culture, love light, all is becoming a riddle of life surrounding good gents and ladies troubled by goondas, crime, hate of others.

If there is no chance to turn this around, I think a horrible thing is upon all of the good people soon.

PLEASE LET A GOLDEN AGE START NOW!

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Thank you ganeshamylord,

I am sort of sad actually if it is not true, not that I would take literally what ISKCON would say, but in general the hope that perhaps even though I am here in the Kali Yuga there might be some respectful salvation and hope for easy way to find a Golden change in society, because I am getting sickened by the cats and dogs all around me, as I get older it seems things as far as gentlemen and gentlewomen, respect for others and culture, love light, all is becoming a riddle of life surrounding good gents and ladies troubled by goondas, crime, hate of others.

If there is no chance to turn this around, I think a horrible thing is upon all of the good people soon.

PLEASE LET A GOLDEN AGE START NOW!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namasteji
    Salvation doesnt come from the change in situations but from the change in perception. Lord Rama was banished to a forest but people totally forget that due to the presence of Lord Rama the same forest became an Ayodhya. Whether a forest or a kingdom He still remained He and didn't become a he.
    When we have the perception of God in all beings the gross truth about the material nature becomes puny at best.
    Salvation doesnt come from the change in the mindset but a change in consciousness. The consciousness that everyone with all his faults and folds is still the connected to us via that same supreme consciouness.
    The more we worry about goons and thugs, which is but a harsh unswappable aspect of societal Karma, the more we divert our consciousness from the supreme. When we meditate on the supreme truth we get peace and all these societal mentions of being happy being etc disappear.
    I personally feel Golden age is when people realize the knowledge of the self,free from the boundaries of names,forms,limitations and fanaticism.
    When we through ashtanga yoga as proposed by Shri Krishna Himself delve on the pure joy of our self we experience the supreme rapture that negates both the harshness of negative cultural impact and also the cursory contentment of wealth and external beauty.

Dear friends ,
    yes . Salvation is crossing the boundaries of names , forms , shapes beliefs and rituals .Each form goes with his or her relevance , purpose and mode of worship , which is restricted in a sense though all ultimately lead to the Brahman . Then what is the need to glorify one particular form to the point of fanaticism .

6. Exclamation Re: Something new to discuss - The Prophecy of a Golden Age in Kali Yuga

10,000 years of a wonderful renaissance of devotion, a Golden Age
    In the interpretation of the Hare Krishnas, the Golden Age IMHO is related to the appearance of Chaitanya, who founded Gaudiya Vaishnavism by speading the chanting of Hare Krishna in the bhakti movement.

Namaste ShivaFan

It seems that this "Golden Age of the Kali Yuga" is the first 10,000 years from the start of Kali Yuga described in the Brahma-vaivarta Purana.
    Note: read carefully what is said about Ganga.

Brahma-vaivarta puranam.
    Translated into English by Rajendra Nath Sen.
    Published 1920 by Panini Office in Allahabad
    http://www.archive.org/stream/brahma...age/8/mode/2up

Canto 4 (Krishna Janma Khanda), ch. CXXVIII

The description of the beginning of the Kali age uttered by Lord Krishna:

p.549-550, verses 23-34:

"My worship will subsist on earth in the iron age only for ten thousand years; and Ganga, the consecrator of the world, will remain only for half of the above period. Very little of the Puranas will remain on earth; and that will remain only so long as the holy basil [Tulasi] and the Vaishnavas remain and so long as the eulogies of the Ganges, etc, are recited. O Nanda, after the lapse of the said period, my worship and recitations will cease ... "

p. 553, verses 58-87:

"My believers will remain on earth for ten thousand years of the iron age. When they will go away from the world all people will be reduced to one caste and the world void of my believers will be absorbed or eclipsed by Kali."

It seems that this is a description of "Golden Age of the Kali Yuga" which means that the real impact of the Kali age has not started yet because we are now only approximately 5000 years from the beginning of the Kali age.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste ShivaFan

It seems that this "Golden Age of the Kali Yuga" is the first 10,000 years from the start of Kali Yuga described in the Brahma-vaivarta Purana.
    Note: read carefully what is said about Ganga.

Brahma-vaivarta puranam.
    Translated into English by Rajendra Nath Sen.
    Published 1920 by Panini Office in Allahabad
    http://www.archive.org/stream/brahma...age/8/mode/2up

Canto 4 (Krishna Janma Khanda), ch. CXXVIII

The description of the beginning of the Kali age uttered by Lord Krishna:

p.549-550, verses 23-34:

"My worship will subsist on earth in the iron age only for ten thousand years; and Ganga, the consecrator of the world, will remain only for half of the above period. Very little of the Puranas will remain on earth; and that will remain only so long as the holy basil [Tulasi] and the Vaishnavas remain and so long as the eulogies of the Ganges, etc, are recited. O Nanda, after the lapse of the said period, my worship and recitations will cease ... "

p. 553, verses 58-87:

"My believers will remain on earth for ten thousand years of the iron age. When they will go away from the world all people will be reduced to one caste and the world void of my believers will be absorbed or eclipsed by Kali."

It seems that this is a description of "Golden Age of the Kali Yuga" which means that the real impact of the Kali age has not started yet because we are now only approximately 5000 years from the beginning of the Kali age.

regards
    This means Golden Age has nothing to do with Hare Krishna.

There were thousands of true sant who propagated true Vaishnawism all over India, one of them is Sant Namdeva. Vaishmwism doesn't mean to find true god by comparing gods and putting all other gods in demigod list.

PranAm,

The prediction about Ganga is very accurate. About 5000 years have been passed, now the the purity of Ganga is on the verge of extinction. The river has become very dirty. Now even Modiji can't control this as that's the fate of ganga river.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshamylord View Post
    Namasteji
    I personally think the problem with Iskcon is its literal interpretation of scriptures especially puranas and its inability to comprehend vedas and upanishads.
    And ofcourse its biased translations. My point is if only it has biased translations to offer why does it not write a separate set of upanishads/vedas called iskcon vedanta. Because by diluting original vedanta it is insulting the intelligence of the sages.

Il give you a proof

Isha upanishad 14
    sambhūtiṁ ca vināśaṁ ca
    yas tad vedobhayaṁ saha
    vināśena mṛtyuṁ tīrtvā
    sambhūtyāmṛtam aśnute

Word for word:
    One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Śrī Kṛṣṇa and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes, as well as the temporary material creation with its temporary demigods, men and animals. When one knows these, he surpasses death and the ephemeral cosmic manifestation with it, and in the eternal kingdom of God he enjoys his eternal life of bliss and knowledge.
    Now where do you see the word Krishna in this verse???

hiraṇmayena pātreṇa
    satyasyāpihitaṁ mukham
    tat tvaṁ pūṣann apāvṛṇu
    satya-dharmāya dṛṣṭaye

Word for word:
    O my Lord, sustainer of all that lives, Your real face is covered by Your dazzling effulgence. Kindly remove that covering and exhibit Yourself to Your pure devotee.
    Really?? So this verse is asking Krishna to show His face? Really? And a devotee????

So it is no wonder that person told you so many things about the golden age based on his interpretion or misinterpretation of the purana and may be he thought anything that is mistranslated to suit his faith will lead to liberation and worse he expects God to back him up here And in this case that person thought Ganga can purify the body.
    Two years back my childhood buddy in vrindavan told me the same thing and told me how Yamuna can purify all the sins and drank yamuna water and ended up in a hospital with diarrhea and worse he even told me the diarrhea is indicative of sin removal and that he is lucky that god removed his karma by making him pass loose stool:P

Eitherway you should have asked that person to drink some ganga water and give you a proof of its sin cleansing action :P

I can understand you taking an issue with the biased translation of the verse and frankly I can point out quite a few in so called "Bhagvat Gita As it is", it is quite clear from what you write about Iskcon, you have a clear dislike for them.
    I am not particularly fond of them for many reasons, no need for me to go in to them.
    but I see no reason to lump every other Hindu practice that you either don't understand or find it illogical, thus dismiss them with disdain and in the process condemn an age old practice in this case the reverence that Hindus hold for maa Ganga or Yamunamayi, murti puja or Puranas.

Let's face it, four kshetra that Shankracharya established from north in the Himalayas to South Rameshwara, Puri in the east and Dwarka in the west. These tirtha are source of faith for the millions.
    Kumbh mela held every twelve years in four different places, to take a dip it's an experience to cherish but according to you these Hindus are all lunies, no you did not say it in so many words!

For the record I don't believe in this golden age but I have nothing against those who do. I am thankful to Chaitanya mahaprabhu for the sankirtan movement.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information