Thread: Is Shiva Advaita dead?

Is Shiva Advaita dead?

Namaste.
    I've seen websites that follow all of the major Shaiva schools except Shiva Advaita. The only things I've read about Shiva Advaita are a few articles explaining it (from Shiva Advaitins). Are there any major websites that promote this doctrine? Or is it not as followed as other schools (such as Kashmir Shaivism and Shiva Siddhanta)?

Re: Is Shiva Advaita dead?

Namaste Haridas,

From my little reading on the subject, the following is what I recall:

Acharya Srikantha (ca. 1050 CE) wrote a commentary on the Brahma-Sutras and formed a Shaivite school of Vedanta called Shiva-Vishishtadvaita. His commentary was based on the Vedas and the Saiva Agamas.

This school of thought has affected the development of southern Shaivite schools – Saiva Siddhanta and Vira Shaivism. Some say that the philosophy of the Vira Shaivas called Shakti-Vishishtadvaita borrowed from Shiva-Vishishtadvaita (I don’t know if this is true or not).

Later, Appayya Dikshitar (16th century CE) commented upon and re-aligned this philosophy with Advaita Vedanta, and it came to be called Shiva-Advaita.

I don’t know the answer to your question about whether Shiva Advaita has any followers now or not, but Acharya Srikantha’s commentary on Brahma-Sutras is often quoted in many Saivite books.

Aum Namah Shivaya,
    A.

Re: Is Shiva Advaita dead?

Namaste,

I also do not know for the fact, but ShivAdvaita seems to be philosophical school only and not live tradition. This view is also expressed by Shivaya Subramunia Swami.

Virashaivism has its own commentary on Brahma-sutras as far as i remember.

Thread Information