Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Basic questions

Re: Basic questions

Dear hms,

Rectifying birth charts is an advanced technique, one that I am not yet fully comfortable with my self; I will offer you this thought: The learned astrologer will have a toolbox full with different tools for this purpose, including the name of the native and event from their lifes progression, yet I believe the strongest by far will be his feeling and intuition about the person, as the chart in front of the Jyotisa must correlate to the person before them, with out being distorted by their own thought. As you read a description of someone, you can match it to them if you know them, so the Jyotish must also be a very good judge of character; it is not all in calculation.

Yajvan Ji has kindly given some very nice links to posts on special Lagna you can learn about them there; you can also find them in the chapter called Special Lagna, atha viśeṣalagnādhyāyaḥ, in the bṛhatpārāśarahorāśāstram (BPHS).

Kind regards.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I wish to offer these two things... this is just interesting to know, and is not offered as a rebuttal or counterpoint, just interesting.

Take all of our society today - we are 99.9% the same genetically ( so say our scientists) i.e. biochemically all humans are 99.9% similar to any other humans.
    So ~variation~ occurs within this 0.1%. All the diversity of the human physique takes place within this variation. Yet look at the diversity of thoughts, values, deeds, actions, abilities, etc.

re: time - being fast, slow, standing still. I am still of the firm conviction that time does one thing - it measures eternity. In and of itself , it is a characteristic of being human. Humans in diversity see the infinite broken up into pieces - these pieces being things and time. Humans outside of diversity only see wholeness and non-time.

Jyotish applies to any 'thing' that is bound by birth and death ( time) and does not apply to things that have no beginning and no end ( that would be SELF or ātman, or anuttara, or Being). to say 'things' that are not bound is an oxymoron. Why so? A thing is bound by its very definition - a thing can only exist in space and time. So we fall into the conundrum of words and meaning that bound 'things'. If we say no-thing ( silence or śāntatā¹ or mauna¹) it is closer to the truth. Yet then how is truth transmitted ? We can leave this for another time.

iti śiva

words
    • mauna - silence
    • śāntatā - quietness; peace
    Dear Yajvan ji,

Very nice sharing and I for one would never even try to see any criticism or rebuttal etc in these forum sharings! :-) We are all blessed to be here where we can share our thoughts, our perceptions (as individual human beings) which as rightly pointed out by you shall remain diverse and it is that variety that constitutes the spice of life, as they say!

I am not certain about we all being 99.9% similar. That may be true for human beings as a zoological family (Homo sapiens) however, even within that group of living organisms, individuals do vary considerably between one and the other! Genes express themselves differently and diversely wherefrom individual variations emerge. Why I say or think so? For example the blood groups are gene-dependent and the wrong type of blood transfused can kill the recipient or make him or her severely ill! This has been seen between mother and infant too if there is incompatibility due to rhesus factor. Another striking example is the uniqueness of DNA, which is used by police to link a criminal to a crime committed and in a few cases to exonerate wrongly accused individuals on life imprisonment or gallows (hanging). The famous example of Milgaard in Saskatchewan, Canada. Now we all know that DNA is nothing but the repository of genes! Still another example of striking genetic variation would be in the case of genetic disorders that lead to very different individuals with mild to major handicaps and diseases and sometimes inability to live!

So genes DO vary between individuals just as do our thumb prints! :-)

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Rohiniranjan View Post
    I am not certain about we all being 99.9% similar. That may be true for human beings as a zoological family (Homo sapiens) however, even within that group of living organisms, individuals do vary considerably between one and the other!
    Of this there is no doubt... that of personalities, likes and dis-likes are quite different. Yet at the 'hardware level' i.e. that of DNA strands, "genome," which refers to all the genes in a person , are of the same make. Well how much ? The number ( and please look this up¹) shows a 99.9% 'likeness'. Other data suggests the likeness is off and we're 96% the same. So , the differences ( again at the hardware level) are few. I can see this all around me.
    It reminds me of a computer - the same memory, cpu, hard drive, monitor, circuits, yet the computer can run all different kinds of software and applications. Our bodies = the computer, and the personalities and differences = the applications. Even different operating systems can run on the same cpu type ( Windows vs. Mac, vs. Unix).

iti śivaṁ

Sources: http://www.genome.gov/19016904
    http://www.intelihealth.com/article/...genome-project
    http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/public/faq.htm
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Of this there is no doubt... that of personalities, likes and dis-likes are quite different. Yet at the 'hardware level' i.e. that of DNA strands, "genome," which refers to all the genes in a person , are of the same make. Well how much ? The number ( and please look this up¹) shows a 99.9% 'likeness'. Other data suggests the likeness is off and we're 96% the same. So , the differences ( again at the hardware level) are few. I can see this all around me.
    It reminds me of a computer - the same memory, cpu, hard drive, monitor, circuits, yet the computer can run all different kinds of software and applications. Our bodies = the computer, and the personalities and differences = the applications. Even different operating systems can run on the same cpu type ( Windows vs. Mac, vs. Unix).

iti śivaṁ

Sources: http://www.genome.gov/19016904
    http://www.intelihealth.com/article/...genome-project
    http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/public/faq.htm

Dear Yajvan ji,

My first electronic micro-computer was a calculator! A Texas scientific model I received as a gift and blessing from my eldest brother who was in those mid-70s abroad and gifted me so. I was just about finishing my thesis then and somewhat angry and frustrated because we did not have computers as readily available even at B.H.U. that had a computer (mainframe) sheltered in a building of its own and lots of POLITICS around who gets to use that behemoth or how or when!

The calculator blessing from my DADA really made my life so much easier!

After nearly 12 years, I rejoined my eldest brother (Jupiter-cycle?) and even on the first day together I saw his 'home computer', a PET CBM! Impressive back then...

We each and all, younger or older, can waffle all we want and DO, but often reality (should have used UPPER CASE?) can be rather simple and obvious! Though to each his or her own, as they claim? Perceptually and perspectively and how we wish or choose to portray ourselves as...? ;-)

But the cinder got ignited and though slow like a tortoise by current standards of i7 and Mountain lion and who knows what else is in the offing in recent future; in my case awakening was by a rather basic Texas calculator, by today's standards and expectations!

It is not merely about 99.9 or 96 or *82* or wherever those shifting benchmarks and essentially mathematically, that BASICALLY lines in SAND (SILICON Reality?) have been and (they do shift...!), Jyotish and many jyotishis and similar seekers of solutions for uncertainty have been blessed by KALKI awataar, ARE? For what ELSE is this Silicon Reality, all about where we share our perceptions and so on and so forth...? ;-)

I kind of felt today, that at some point, you would be sharing some links to educate me. And many OTHERS, of course. ;-)

But did you read, or reflect on what I shared earlier...? About the PRACTICAL (not visionary and potential?), here and now and already observed GENETIC differences that cause and have caused REAL problems??

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
    Last edited by Rohiniranjan; 06 April 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Dear Yavan Ji, Rohiniranjan, hms ji,

Our bodies are very different all whilst being so very similar, let us consider for example that the Human genome is said to be 98% similar to that of Chimpanzees. We are similar on so very many levels yet there are infinite differences also; paradoxicaly, that that infinity the Atman; please let me expand a little.

One similarity between Humans and Chimpanzees is the ability to differentiate, this facet expands with need and use. For example; by way of our facial recognition to most humans all Chimpanzees look very similar almost the same. We do not differentiate them at this level and have little need to. So our minds struggle to tell one from another we see them as physically the same, whilst there is just as much differentiation in a Chimpanzees face as in a Human face. We recognize each other as being distinct due to our own self immersion, residing amongst our selves. Whilst the the visual differences between the faces of different chimpanzees are vast, just as vast as that of Humans, we can not see this as our brains do not recognize it.
    It is our minds that make this differentiation, we learn to do it, we ascribe ever finer detail.

Why is this interesting? Well, to my mind it allows for the flowering of psychological phenotypes, as well as other beneficial things such as a body of knowledge of which food stuffs have medicinal merit. We do this mentally also, as we connect our experience of a person to their face, we even seek to embellish them overtly with material and intellectual additions; in a desire to make our selves more distinct from the rest, in a perpetual drive to differentiate. But to differentiate what? One whole, into ever smaller more fragmented pieces.

The same process of differentiation, it would seem, happens in all our thought and recognition processes. We become capable of distinguishing stuff, things, the more illusive or ephemeral they might be, the better. A conundrum arises when we mistake this intellectual differentiation for knowledge, as we are forced to learn ever smaller and smaller details.
    Yet all the while one must be careful of over simplifying too; non differentiated thought, as one who is little exposed to another human group (rahu), might well group them mentally into one; as we see in racial bigotry and in our own lack of differentiation of Chimpanzees.

If this is the case, do we then have a mental mechanism of differentiation that can easily take over our entire thought process? When all that we are really doing is creating a finer and finer differential for visual and intellectual recognition through differentiation, simply for status of rank or order. If this is so, then how can we recognize our inner self; our old self?

I will suggest that although we may all have the same mechanical system, that our tattva those of perception, the panca Jnanedriyas, are not evenly balanced and in no way the same between us, but that in our differences, we as a group fit together into one big puzzle, rather like one big flock of birds; This is perhaps why we are so predictable.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 07 April 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Dear Mana jee,

NEVER in past 40+ years that I had been enamoured or enticed to or asked by a personal reading by a Chimpanzee or similar, but while visiting web-fora, sometimes I do wonder...?

Dear Rohiniranjan ji,

Just think of the potential market; if we could get Chimps to gaze into the mirror of self admiration.

Their could be a future in it, lets start by selling them clothes with labels on to help them differentiate ...

Kind regards.

Errmm, please do excuse me whilst I put my Budha back in his place.
    Last edited by Mana; 07 April 2014 at 12:12 AM.

Thank you all for your responses. While I will take some time in reading and absorbing the content of the discussion, I wanted to point out to an alternate viewpoint of the concept of time. I had recorded this in my blog, amidst other wonders of reality. The blog link is http://1longdream.blogspot.in/2012/0...g-reality.html

and the relevant content is

All of time is - We think of time like a flowing river, moving from the past to the present to the future. As it flows, the human mind records a stream of experiences. The image that we freeze-frame in our minds at the present moment, or the set of events that are happening "now", defines reality to us. Events of the past are bygone and events of the future are yet to unravel, hence they are not in the realm of reality. However, science tells us that your past and future moments can be the present moments of arbitrary observers that are traveling relative to you, because of the finite time it takes for light to travel between distances. Specifically, events of your past constitute the "now" of an observer traveling away from you and those of your future are the "now" of an observer just traveling towards you. In that sense, all events of the past, present and future are etched in time. This makes time seem more like a frozen block of ice rather than a flowing river. In this block of ice are etched all the events of your past, present and future, which form the cumulative set of "now" moments of different observers traveling from and towards you at different speeds. In other words, all of time is out there in immutable fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Dear Rohiniranjan ji,

Just think of the potential market; if we could get Chimps to gaze into the mirror of self admiration.

Their could be a future in it, lets start by selling them clothes with labels on to help them differentiate ...

Kind regards.

Errmm, please do excuse me whilst I put my Budha back in his place.

LOL, but have THEY not, already? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hms View Post
    Thank you all for your responses. While I will take some time in reading and absorbing the content of the discussion, I wanted to point out to an alternate viewpoint of the concept of time. I had recorded this in my blog, amidst other wonders of reality. The blog link is http://1longdream.blogspot.in/2012/0...g-reality.html

and the relevant content is
    E. Tolle stated that in his Power of Now, eloquently but you do are on the right path!

Where I live, even a BOG freezes (too bad it is not easy to post and share a photo here! I being more visual than verbal -- that does pose a challenge!) but it thaws as well!! Predictably, each year and SHE has just begun...

The most IMPORTANT NOW for each of us, in the astrological context was the birth-epoch!

From that point onwards, we can either study astrology or wax philosophically and even spread misunderstandings, etc!

RR

Thread Information