Thread: Kashmir Shaivism blends with Vira Shaivism

Kashmir Shaivism blends with Vira Shaivism

Namste!

It's been nearly a year and a half since I've been a follower of the Hindu faith, and a LOT has changed! I've gone from seeing the world and life as a Westerner (purely materialistic) to seeing the world in a non-dualistic Vedanta viewpoint. But just recently, I've finally decided what sect within Hinduism I've decided to follow. Over the past year and a half I've been wavering between sect between sect. But now...I've found the sect for me. I like to call it Kashmir-Vira Shaiva (Shaivism). Well...I'm trying to make it more of a Sanskrit-ish so it all make sense in Sanskrit grammer. . Basically it's the Kashmir Shaiva 'advaita vedanta' viewpoint and practices of the 4 Yogas blended in with the devotion to Siva, the social structure, duties, devotion and worship of Guru, Jangama, and the Lingam of Vira Shaiva

Throughout the year of my studies and practices in Hinduism, I've seen that many sects kind of pop out of no where, become super popular, and yet another arm of Hinduism is created. Maybe the same will be with this view point! I really haven't seen any sect out there that combines the two teachings...

The only thing I don't really like about Vira Shaiva is that it basically it's own religion, doesn't really identify itself with Hinduism, and the dismissal of worshiping the other Hindu gods like Vishnu and Devi. But of course all the great founders and saints of each sect and tradition saw this with the sect they previously identified themselves with...So I have hopes for me with this viewpoint. Ah! And something else that I've seen, Hinduism pretty much lets you believe what you want. It's extremely tolerant. (:

Anyways, I was thinking I'd share this with you guys and see what you thought about it. Sorry if this seems to be a bad place to put this tread.

Dhanyavadah!!
    Jai Maa Durga

Re: Kashmir Shaivism blends with Vira Shaivism

Namaste all

A very interesting and deep dive into Kashmir Shaivism. Give it a minute to fully load all sections. Definitive. The section 6 on Moksha is wonderful.

http://shaivism.net/articles/11.html

Namaste cmoral02,

Shiva!

Om Namah Sivaya

Kashmir Shaivism does not blend well with virashaivism as virashaivism is not non-dualistic.You can by all meabs wear a linga on your neck without following virashaivism.

Anotger non dualistic shaiva tradition you can look into is the natha sampradaya,which does blend wee with and complements kashmir shaivism.The natha sampradaya is, as satguru sivaya subramaniyaswami says,the mystical fountainhead of shaivism.

http://www.archive.org/stream/philod...35mbp_djvu.txt
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste

I can only suggest deeper readings of both Trika and Linga shaivisms.

You may for example be interested in the theory of lingas expressed in the Malinivijayottara, which many regard as the crown of trika agamas.

Namaste. Interesting forum this one. I didn't notice it much before because I was too busy hanging around the Shaiva forums.

Honestly, I don't know what kind of 'Shaivite' I am. I have my roots and core beliefs in Agama Sanatan Dharma, but trying to meditate/worship, in essense 'nothing' is still difficult for me.

I have tried worshipping Shiva Lingam, but all I could ever think of was: "why am I pouring milk all over an ovoid-shaped rock?....yes, I know it represents Lord Shiva's 'Formless State' and some say it's 'sposed to be a penis inside a yoni or something....definitely not seeing it...' suffice to say, I didn't like it much when I had no choice but to worship this. I don't anymore.

You may for example be interested in the theory of lingas expressed in the Malinivijayottara, which many regard as the crown of trika agamas.
    I'll definitely look into this though.

I have a 'shrine' with Nataraja and Ardharnarishvara on it, with other Tantric symbols. I never fully got into 'Kashmiri Shaivism' as it was any different to 'Bali Hinduism' or 'Malaysian Hinduism' which I didn't think it would be much.

Having said that, I was a 'Virashaiva' for a while, in that I studied the Lingayat culture and the lives and works of the great Allama Prabhu and Sri Akka Devi and I admired that whole movement/sect very much, but there's no way I would wear a Shiva Lingam.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information