Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts?

Re: Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

Sonia Dhaliwal has indeed given a good speech on how Western civilization imposes itself on other weaker civilizations by for example, blaming on some weaker points such as India's caste system and that for some other weaker points, no consideration is being given into the effects of colonialization in the past... and that we, India, should produce schools of thought that would make those who go to Harvard or Oxford come to us instead! It is a grand thought, I have to go through the record once more but to me it seems she has not given an 'concrete ideas' on *how* such Indian schools should operate? Like, for example, what should be the 'curriculum' in such schools... what should be 'thought'? Without such concrete ideas, much of the speech is pointless, IMHO.
    Viraja,

As per my assessment, the purpose of the video was not meant to offer methods of implementation. It was simply stressing an analytical opinion that an Indic lens should not be put to the side, that it has the same merit when it comes to analyzing or critiquing India. Therefore, I do not find much of her speech pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

I haven't even watched the video yet, but already I have some thoughts...and as usual these thoughts center on "who's to blame," and whether or not I'm one of those guilty people.

I know it speaks volumes about me that I take such things personally and want to avoid blame...it's just that like Viraja was alluding to, unless solutions are concretely spelled out, I don't know what I can personally do about it to absolve myself of the guilt. Believe me, I wish I was Professor X from the X-Men so I could control minds and stop my fellow Westerners from committing their oppression.

There's just so much of it going on these days, that everything I do seems to have no effect whatsoever. The oppressed keep heaping the guilt on me, and I'm not saying it's not justified...I just have to say it seems like my life is impossible, and I wonder what karmic thing I've committed in a past life to suffer this.

(emphasis mine)
    Web,

The video has nothing to do with what you wrote. In fact, what are you on!? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Viraja,

As per my assessment, the purpose of the video was not meant to offer methods of implementation. It was simply stressing an analytical opinion that an Indic lens should not be put to the side, that it has the same merit when it comes to analyzing or critiquing India. Therefore, I do not find much of her speech pointless.
    Right... I must not have said 'pointless' - I am editing the original post to say it would have been nicer (as in a wish) if the speaker were to give some concrete thoughts on improving our educational system.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja,

t
    Sonia Dhaliwal has indeed given a good speech on how Western civilization imposes itself on other weaker civilizations by for example, blaming on some weaker points such as India's caste system and that for some other weaker points, no consideration is being given into the effects of colonialization in the past...
    I listened to the video again but fail to understand how you did you arrive at this notion ? May be I am missing some thing.
    Anirudh...

repetition deleted
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Web,

The video has nothing to do with what you wrote. In fact, what are you on!? Haha.
    Namaste Sudas,

Hehe, I know what you're saying. Believe me, I wish I knew who was spiking my tap water with whatever substance is causing me to think this way. It's just something my brain does, for reasons I can't fathom. I'm working to stop it, and I'm glad you could help in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Viraja,

I listened to the video again but fail to understand how you did you arrive at this notion ? May be I am missing some thing.
    Around minute 6:00, the speaker says (something along the lines of), "The Western notion of democracy and equality are only used to intimidate weak nations".

This along with the fact that the speaker spends her initial minutes describing how India cannot be another America or Germany and 'should not be one' while alongside she discusses the manner in which the West oppresses the other civilizations gave me the notion for the term 'weaker civilizations'.

Thanks for the clarification Viraja.

How ever, no where she meant SD as weaker civilization. In fact, she goes on to explain how SD is superior to the other, and stresses on the need to rethink and reunite with our civilization.

@ Sudas ji,

Minus her (my perception ) affinity to that god(damn)man, she has raised few interesting points. I must thank Viraja because of her comment listened her again.

May we should discuss HOW we can recreate the need of Vedic schools in Bhaarathvaasis mind.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 16 January 2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Anirudh...

@Anirudh,

I did not say the speaker said "India is a weaker civilization" -- what I implied was that "The West oppresses the all-around functionality of what it perceives to be a Weaker Civilization and intimidates them" -- I thought it was fairly clear enough what I mentioned!

Namaste Viraja,

Sonia Dhaliwal has indeed given a good speech on how Western civilization imposes itself on other weaker civilizations by for example, blaming on some weaker points such as India's caste system and that for some other weaker points, no consideration is being given into the effects of colonialization in the past... and that we, India, should produce schools of thought that would make those who go to Harvard or Oxford come to us instead! It is a grand thought, I have to go through the record once more but to me it seems she has not given an 'concrete ideas' on *how* such Indian schools should operate? Like, for example, what should be the 'curriculum' in such schools... what should be 'thought'? Without such concrete ideas, much of the speech is pointless, IMHO.
    I did not say the speaker said "India is a weaker civilization" -- what I implied was that "The West oppresses the all-around functionality of what it perceives to be a Weaker Civilization and intimidates them" -- I thought it was fairly clear enough what I mentioned!
    Guess I couldn't comprehend your statements the way you had wanted them to imply, nevertheless, i want to bring it to your notice that the present Indian Caste system is not what SD had documented.

During a discussion on untouchable spent some time in understanding Manu Smriti only to find that, it is not applicable for this Yuga. Sudas ji will be right person to explain on this part if you are interested to know further details.

So I don't think it is wise to take blame for things which were forced down on us by self serving and invading people.
    Anirudh...

Namaste, Everyone:

I think it is a good idea if we may brainstorm mature and progressive methods of implementation that would establish the Indic lens as a viable and appropriate perspective of orientation when it comes to analyzing or critiquing India, like how the Western socio-economic-political paradigm is upheld either indirectly or directly, or consciously or subconsciously, as the universal, or "superior", paradigm. But, before we traverse upon that, one of the first things that we can discuss, in my opinion, would be...what does "Indic lens" mean to you? What constitutes an Indic perspective? How is this Vedic or Indic lens more appropriate when it comes to analyzing Hindu-Indian society rather than the Western perspective?

Any thoughts?

Thread Information