Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Shiva worship Krishna or Krishna worship Shiva

Did Shiva worship Krishna or Krishna worship Shiva

I used to be a Muslim but I went to India a few years ago and for some reason I was drawn to Shiva, I left Islam and now am devout follower of Shiva..But i'm really confused, In some places I read that Krishna was a devotee of Shiva and in some places like Bhagavad Gita I read that Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead.In some places i read that Shiva was a devotee of Krishna. I am extremely drawn to Shiva, but I am also blown away by the Bhagavad Gita and Krishnas words..When i start to meditate upon Shiva i feel great depth, but then somewhere in my mind comes the thought that Shiva was a devotee of Krishna and my meditation shifts from concentrating on Shiva to concentrating on Krishna because i feel that is what Shiva used to do, but then I remember how Shiva saved me and took me out of darkness and I switch back to Shiva...
    If anybody has any insights it would be appreciated

Re: Did Shiva worship Krishna or Krishna worship Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by adi View Post
    I used to be a Muslim but I went to India a few years ago and for some reason I was drawn to Shiva, I left Islam and now am devout follower of Shiva..But i'm really confused, In some places I read that Krishna was a devotee of Shiva and in some places like Bhagavad Gita I read that Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead.In some places i read that Shiva was a devotee of Krishna. I am extremely drawn to Shiva, but I am also blown away by the Bhagavad Gita and Krishnas words..When i start to meditate upon Shiva i feel great depth, but then somewhere in my mind comes the thought that Shiva was a devotee of Krishna and my meditation shifts from concentrating on Shiva to concentrating on Krishna because i feel that is what Shiva used to do, but then I remember how Shiva saved me and took me out of darkness and I switch back to Shiva...
    Coincidence? I am actually going through this same exact problem. And I have to say I'm just as confused.

Don't lose hope though, I'm sure both of us, determined, will come to our true ishta-devata. Personally (this is just me guessing) it has less to do with speculating and more with surrender.

Good luck, and Namaste.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

There is no need to be confused about this. All gods, including Krishna, shiva etc., are manifestations of the one supreme god, brahman. So you can worship both shiva and Krishna as aspects of brahman instead of seeing one as superior to the other.

Namaste Adi,

Quote Originally Posted by adi View Post
    I think your confusion is due to ISKCON's literature which are doctored to suit their way of thinking. However, these are not authoritative scriptures.

Shiva and Vishnu/Krishna are not different. For the Vaishnavites, Vishnu/Krishna is Supreme and for the Shaivites, Shiva is Supreme. God is One alone. The names and forms are imposed on God by the faith/belief of the devotees. We have a saying :

"JAki rahi bhAvanA jaisi, Prabhu Moorat dekhi tin taisi"

===> God reveals to a devotee in the form he wants to see/worship.

Let me tell you that for Shaivaites, Shiva is all supreme ... everything is nothing but the great dance of Shiva. So, have no doubts over it.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

At a philosophical level, all 3 [brahma, vishnu and shiva] are different aspects of one Brahman. This is explained in Brahmasutras here where Brahman is defined.

Coming from an Islamic background this may be difficult for you to understand [please do not misconstrue this, I mean this as a matter of fact and not in condescension, so, do not take offense].

Various Bhakti schools have their own Ishta Devata. These arent independent Gods but different aspects of the one supreme.

Hope this helps.

Namaste,

I agree with Devotee. Issues like these I do not really like to get involved with, because to me it seems silly (I do not mean your question, but the debate over it). It is obvious that both are pointers to the Supreme. To me even Shiva is beyond Shiva. A lot of times the conditioned mind likes to turn simple teachings into something of many concepts and doctrines. These I reject, but that is only my view. I hope you find success on your way. I was a Muslim for 7 years. I think you will find great peace upon the Dharma.

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    At a philosophical level, all 3 [brahma, vishnu and shiva] are different aspects of one Brahman. This is explained in Brahmasutras here where Brahman is defined.

Coming from an Islamic background this may be difficult for you to understand [please do not misconstrue this, I mean this as a matter of fact and not in condescension, so, do not take offense].

Various Bhakti schools have their own Ishta Devata. These arent independent Gods but different aspects of the one supreme.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks it did help, i was OK untill i started to watch Devon Ka Devta Mahadev on star TV,lol, the program really confused things, but like you said everything is just a different aspect of one Brahman, IT MUST BE...
    I figure if i keep my focus internally I will be fine.. I feel good..

Om Namah Shiva..
    Om Tat Sat

Namaste.

I can't get away from feeling this. Not just believing, but feeling.

Harihara, Shankaranarayana

One and the same
    Sivananda states: "Shiva and Vishnu are one and the same entity. They are essentially one and the same. They are the names given to the different aspects of the all-pervading Supreme Soul or the Absolute. ‘Sivasya hridayam vishnur-vishnoscha hridayam sivah—Vishnu is the heart of Siva and likewise Siva is the heart of Vishnu’."

Swaminarayan holds that Vishnu and Shiva are different aspects of the same God ( also called as bhogala hari siva kumar reddy) ;[2][3][4] Notably, the Swaminarayan view is a minority view among Vaishnavites*, but the dominant view in contemporary Hinduism which follows the Smarta view in general.[5]
    * [my note: I'm always different ]

Welcome.
    Please explore Advaita or non dualism for greater understanding of hinduism.

Brahman is formless and genderless (likely to be confused with Brahma (without n) who is part of Brahma vishnu Maheswara). Namaste

Vannakkam: To me the question is irrelevant and potentially inflammatory, capable of causing division, for those who don't see the bigger picture. A better approach, in my opinion, is to ask yourself who you are naturally more inclined to. In Bengaluru I remember seeing two temples just beside each other. Which one would you like to visit? Go out in a non-judgmental open minded way, and just watch where your feet take you.

Similar method is used to discover whether a young athlete is left or right footed naturally. Coach has them stand straight then sneaks up and pushes them from behind. They will naturally step out with one foot or the other consistently.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information