Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hinduism and menstruation

Re: Hinduism and menstruation

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    I don’t think this should be looked in any way as degrading women but an acknowledgement of their difficult time and may be allow for their mood swings, also they have an enforced break from mundane chores.
    Ganesh, if the modern men are ready to share in the mundane chores and are sensitive to the mood swings, what is the difficulty in doing away with this taboo? How many of us will refuse to chip in if the women in our families fall ill? Will we make them sleep in a ரேழி and maintain a separation of at least 10 feet?

Whether it is degrading to women or not is for women to tell the men, isn't? I request you to do a survey of the women in your family and report the results back here, let us see how many women accept that separating women during their menstruation into a state of untouchabilty is not degrading.

Thank you...

Vannakkam:

Clearly individual circumstances vary. My wife avoids temple and shrine room. In fact I have as well during her menses. We often went for walks of found some other activity. As stated before, it is not practical here in the west with nuclear families. Was I to take 5 days off work each month to care for 5 children. Wonder what my employer would have thought of that.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Nara View Post
    Ganesh, if the modern men are ready to share in the mundane chores and are sensitive to the mood swings, what is the difficulty in doing away with this taboo?
    None what so ever for a modern men because largely he/she is chasing material gains.
    How many of us will refuse to chip in if the women in our families fall ill? Will we make them sleep in a ரேழி and maintain a separation of at least 10 feet?
    Are you suggesting no work got done during menses segregation?

I don’t know what highlighted word mean?

I think if someone fell ill and if it was catching one would make all effort to keep away from others, now I am not suggesting menses are catching but it is considered impure.
    Spiritual rituals requires purity therefore its not unreasonable to expect a distance, as to how far I have no idea.

Whether it is degrading to women or not is for women to tell the men, isn't? I request you to do a survey of the women in your family and report the results back here, let us see how many women accept that separating women during their menstruation into a state of untouchabilty is not degrading.
    Sure.

since it was self imposed by my mother and not by anyone else I can only assume no degrading especially I use to annoy her by touching her against her wishes, as I recall my childhood.

I can assure you I have had on many occasions requested my Bhabhis to attend religious functions on the account of them not having to miss it, the answer was always a resounding no.

My niece, I can go by her example, nothing to do with untouchablity or any religious taboo prefers the solitude of her own room. Go figure.

If I am about to do puja I would not touch any one let alone menstruating woman, there are standard one follows, I don’t think one can dwell much on it.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information