Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting?

Fasting?

namaste,
    Have you done a fast (only water or complete) for more than three days? What was your experience like? What did you drink if anything e.g. coffee, tea, water?
    satay

Re: Fasting?

Namaste satay,
    I have done few times only on Maha Shivaratri day but three days I can never dream of let alone more than three days. I think you can drink coffee or tea or any fruit juice provided your bhakti is there if you are doing it for any deity. I suggest you do one day once a week, and then once you are comfortable make it two days.. and continue for sometime and then increase it to three days. All of a sudden three days or more just living on coffee, tea or water is not healthy to the body. But if you drink fresh juices plenty of them you can be close to normal during those three days. With fasting it has to be slow as you need to get your body adjusted to your new changes. Good luck
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Vannakkam Satay: Very close to 6 days on just water.

The first day and a half is difficult hunger wise, as your stomach shrinks, creating a nasty hunger response. Then the body on its own accord switches to the stored energy called fat. When this happens you actually start feeling really good, almost a shakti 'high' as some different biological processes kick in. The return to normal takes a few days.

Many people think its very healthy. I think if you browsed 'fasting' and 'cleansing' or the like on line, you'd get more testimony from health conscious westerners.

Aum Namasivaya

4. Re: Fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    Have you done a fast (only water or complete) for more than three days? What was your experience like? What did you drink if anything e.g. coffee, tea, water?
    Never did fasting for more than three days, but I know many who fast for many days, they are very healthy. They avoid drinking coffee or tea, but drink fruit juices and eat fruits during long fast.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    Never did fasting for more than three days, but I know many who fast for many days, they are very healthy. They avoid drinking coffee or tea, but drink fruit juices and eat fruits during long fast.
    I remember reading somewhere that you should take salt on long fasts, particularly in hot climates. Do you know if this is right?

namaste,
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I do weekly fasts on sat and mondays but have never done three days in a row without solids. Well maybe once or twice because shivratri was on tues or sunday but I have a meal in the evening in between.
    Well, I have to try this one day...
    satay

7. Re: Fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Tāṇḍava View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that you should take salt on long fasts, particularly in hot climates. Do you know if this is right?
    We don't take salt in most of the fasts expect special salt during Navratris.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Namast,

Satay, five days without food once, years ago. I do not remember much of it, as I began without a spiritual motivation, but I do recall what EM described: a sense of lightness and freedom that came after the first day and a half or so.

My senses and reflexes also became preternaturally aware; I worked in a hospital at the time, and by the end, could identify exactly what the cafeteria was serving for lunch that day - in another wing of the same floor. At the time, I presumed it was a bit of evolution at work - the senses sharpening, to aid the search for food in times of scarcity - and it was fascinating to witness.

Avoid caffeine is the best advice I can give, as it can provoke rotten headaches during fasting. Peppermint tea is a friend, as is chamomile tea for sleep. I find that water/tea-only fasting is far preferable to juices and fruits; the fructose spikes and crashes are draining, and the influx of sugar keeps your stomach (and appetite) whetted for food that never comes.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

namaskar,
    I always get severe headaches on fasting days. I think this is due to coffee withdrawals my body goes through.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,
    I always get severe headaches on fasting days. I think this is due to coffee withdrawals my body goes through.
    Coffee deeprivation headache indeed is very common, i have personally experienced on those rare days when i skipped my coffee.

Thread Information