Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fasting?

Re: Fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Coffee deeprivation headache indeed is very common, i have personally experienced on those rare days when i skipped my coffee.
    I have the same thing on fasting days. You only realise that caffeine is a drug when you don't have it.

May be caffeine withdrawal is a reason for headache as its stimulatory effect on autonomous nervous system when stopped triggers reflex secretion of neurotransmitters. But the dominant reason of headache and giddiness is Sugar level depletion in blood and brain couldn"t get he desired sugar (brain is most sensitive tissue for sugar depletion),hence severe head ache. Even long work without proper food gives headache because of this reason. Once he alternative glucose source open up after a long time,headache will improves.

Fasting of long (may be 7-8days) will cause hallucination,some says seeing extrasensory objects/ghosts,pretatma.

In Vivekananda kendra,they conduct spl seminars for their yoga teachers where they fast for near 2weeks,and one teacher told me the experiences...like seeing such things.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Vannakkam Anirvan: In some North American tribal societies, the vision quest is a rite of manhood. It includes fasting until one gets a vision. Then a consultation with a shaman may be done to interpret it. As to whether or not these things are visions or hallucinations is open to interpretation or debate.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Tāṇḍava View Post
    I have the same thing on fasting days. You only realise that caffeine is a drug when you don't have it.
    next time you may try and have a tiny volume of concentrated coffee, just like a medcation concoction if you will, to prevent the invasion of throbbing headache (a nasty demon).

Pranam
    Fasting from my experience is a nice diciplin most of us Hindus go through. I remember even in my childhood we are encouraged to observe it, all be it with a lot of relaxed attitude but it does Prepare us in our later years should we wish to observe a fast. From full fast nirjala or sahjala ie with water, falAhar or from grains choice is ours that is nice. Now as a child I remember I use to suffer headache later I understood that was due to the fact I did not drink tea because I did not like tea on its own. twice a year I have full fast, what was most difficult was the severe headache later in the evening but for the past few years just before a month or two I would give up tea only drink herbal and I have no headache.

Namaste,

I need coffee in the morning to get started and during the daytime, fasting/starvation makes me light headed due to a drop in the blood sugar level. So, some of us need coffee or food, or both to function right. Fasting is not for everyone.

Pranam.

Thread Information