Thread: What are the roles of Gods in advaita?

What are the roles of Gods in advaita?

Namaste,

What does advaita teach about Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva?
    Can one have Vishnu (Krishna) as his ishta devata but following the advaita views?
    Even Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that He is the beginning, middle and end of everything. He is the One in the hearts of every entity. He is everything/the Self.

I am asking this because some vaishnavas opposed me saying I either belong to vaishnavism having Vishnu(Krishna) as an ishta devata or if I choose advaita I'd better choose Shiva because saivas accept the advaita views.

Thank you for your helpful answers.
    Namaste!

Re: What are the roles of Gods in advaita?

Namaste Elizabeth,

God is one alone and that alone is seen in different roles as BrahmA, Vishnu or Maheshwar (Shiva). So, for an Advaitin, there is no difference in different forms/names of God. MAndukya Upanishad tells us that Brahman in its third state acts as God. He/She/It alone is responsible for creation, nurturing/nourishing and annihilation of all beings. It is the source and end of all beings. It is Infinite Consciousness and source of all bliss, pervading everything and every being from outside and inside.

Advaitin worship God in any name and form that suits a particular seeker. I am an Advaitin and I worship/pray to Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva and Mother Goddess equally. Among the devotional songs dedicated to Saguna Brahman that our Beloved Guru ji taught us are for Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva and also Mother Kaali. However, when we pray to any of these forms-names, we visualise that particular name-form as all encompassing Consciousness, the source of all bliss, living in the heart of all beings, our father/mother.

There is no restriction on worshiping or not-worshiping any particular name-form of God in Advaita. There are many misconceptions regarding what Advaitins do ... but those are misconceptions alone.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Elizabeth,

God is one alone and that alone is seen in different roles as BrahmA, Vishnu or Maheshwar (Shiva). So, for an Advaitin, there is no difference in different forms/names of God. MAndukya Upanishad tells us that Brahman in its third state acts as God. He/She/It alone is responsible for creation, nurturing/nourishing and annihilation of all beings. It is the source and end of all beings. It is Infinite Consciousness and source of all bliss, pervading everything and every being from outside and inside.

Advaitin worship God in any name and form that suits a particular seeker. I am an Advaitin and I worship/pray to Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva and Mother Goddess equally. Among the devotional songs dedicated to Saguna Brahman that our Beloved Guru ji taught us are for Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva and also Mother Kaali. However, when we pray to any of these forms-names, we visualise that particular name-form as all encompassing Consciousness, the source of all bliss, living in the heart of all beings, our father/mother.

There is no restriction on worshiping or not-worshiping any particular name-form of God in Advaita. There are many misconceptions regarding what Advaitins do ... but those are misconceptions alone.

OM
    Namaste Devotee,

Thank You very much for your really helpful reply!!!
    You know it was unclear for me and now I can say I am happy to read from an Advaitin. So far I heard mostly from Vaishnavas or Hare Krishnas or a branch of Saiva here in my country. They mostly told about either...or kind of choices etc.
    But somehow by analyzing even only the word "advaita" told me different than the people I referred to above.
    No, I don't wish to blame them for I know they try to "protect" their views/understanding, which is different from mine.

Thanks really!

Namaste

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth108 View Post
    I am asking this because some vaishnavas opposed me saying I either belong to vaishnavism having Vishnu(Krishna) as an ishta devata or if I choose advaita I'd better choose Shiva because saivas accept the advaita views
    As a general observation, it is quite common for the converts to attach themselves to a particular deity and strictly follow a particular lineage. They need some kind of structure to be able to practice Hinduism. To that end, yes, they are protective of their view/understanding, and there is nothing wrong with that. Most native Hindus on the other hand, consider the entire spectrum to be their heritage and worth understanding/protecting. Whatever claims are made by ISKCON or any other group, applies only to them and not to me. They may restrict themselves to a particular label or a deity, but for me all deities are equally divine and equally worshippable. In the final analysis, whatever helps a person grow spiritually is the right path; labels are merely ways of conveniently identifying that mode.

Pranam.

As advaitin, we generally take a more logical and scientific way of defining life and creation. So it is generally more abstract.

However in other forms these abstract features are given names to identify and associate.

If is is easier to explain or understand the knowledge with names - so be it. If is without - so be it. Different people fit into different ways.

The end is same.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Elizabeth108;92452]Namaste Devotee,
    No, I don't wish to blame them for I know they try to "protect" their views/understanding, which is different from mine.
    Dear Elizabeth,your observation is correct,but also you missed the subtle meaning of those devotees. Their protective nature of their chosen Lord is
    not out of insecurity or arrogance,but true devotion.When we love someone earnestly,we become protective, possessive and with tubular vision.This is natural course of divine path of bhakti, till the bhakta becomes one with his lord and identify the lord anywhere and everywhere.Then he will be able to realize the advita nature of divine.

This is called ISTHA-NISTHA. or TRUE LOYALTY WITH DEVOTION. If one has noT DEVELOPED istha nistha,he is miles away from bhakti.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth108 View Post
    Namaste,

What does advaita teach about Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva?
    Can one have Vishnu (Krishna) as his ishta devata but following the advaita views?
    Even Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that He is the beginning, middle and end of everything. He is the One in the hearts of every entity. He is everything/the Self.

I am asking this because some vaishnavas opposed me saying I either belong to vaishnavism having Vishnu(Krishna) as an ishta devata or if I choose advaita I'd better choose Shiva because saivas accept the advaita views.

Thank you for your helpful answers.
    Namaste!

Dear Elizabeth108,

In addition to Kallol,

The subjects explained in the opening post are not directly relevant in the context of Advaita Vedantha proper.

This is particularly pertinent to Dvaita/ Vishishtadvaita sections listed under Philosophy tab.

Love

Thread Information