Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shiva Bhajans

Re: Shiva Bhajans

I have nothing to share. But you people help me lot to listen shiv bhajans.

Namaste,

Thank you Ram and Aanandinii for taking the time to translate the Bhajan. I was aware that some of the words were names/epithets of Lord Shiva but could only take a guess at what was meant as a whole. You have been very helpful, thank you once again.

Om Namah Shivaya!
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Namaskar Ram ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Edit:I appreciate Sri Aanandinii's detailed presentation below.
    Thank you for the kind words, but please don't use a title like that for me, I haven't earned such an honorific title and don't deserve it.
    I am sometimes just a bit enthusiastic when I'm happy.

! think the place where Ravana was forced to leave the Atmalinga of Lord Shiva is Gokarna.However, many places maybe associated with same incident.
    Thank you so much for this informatiom, I had no idea there were more than one Temple associated to the same story. Unexpected and cool. Thank you again for teaching me more.

~Pranams

edit to add: I don't know where my brain was at at 2 AM on a Friday morning, but LOL, the two Temples we were talking about aren't even in the same State, (couldn't find a way to cross out my earlier statement, so just deleted it). Go figure, there seem to be 2 Koteshwar Temples? It seems one is in a Villiage of the same name in Karnataka, though it's a ruin.
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 04 April 2014 at 09:18 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste,

Thank you everyone for your input! I love that song and appreciate it even more now that I understand it a bit better.

Can we do another one? There is a song called Om Namah Shivaya by Krishna Das. I found a translation on his website, but I am having a hard time putting it together, as the song is only a few words really and the translation seems to say a lot more than that.

Here is the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQ1oWIQoAo

And here is the lyrics & translation:

Om Namah Shivaaya
    Shivaaya namaha,
    Shivaaya namah om
    Shivaaya namaha, namaha Shivaaya
    Shambhu Shankara namah Shivaaya,
    Girijaa Shankara namah Shivaaya
    Arunaachala Shiva namah Shivaaya

I bow to the Soul of all. I bow to my Self. I don't know who I am, so I bow to you, Shiva, my own true Self. I bow to my teachers who loved me with Love. Who took care of me when I couldn't take care of myself. I owe everything to them. How can I repay them? They have everything in the world. Only my love is mine to give, but in giving I find that it is their love flowing through me back to the world...I have nothing. I have everything. I want nothing. Only let it flow to you, my love... sing!

Pranams
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaskar Fem Phoenix ji,

I want to thank you for posting that, I know the song but had never seen the video before.
    It's stunning how deeply layered and dense in meaning Sanskrit is, in so few words. I would love to see what someone who really knows the language will say about this, too.

I suspect also, part of the seeming line count difference may be the number of repetitions of each single phrase, if each phrase repetition here might be used to impart the varying meaning thus the seeming many lines in the translation, particularly the lines about honoring teachers and repayment.

As a complete tangent, I find myself wondering, because English carries roots from Latin, Celtic and ancient Germanic languages, we get a lot of roots from sister-languages to Sanskrit thus the sometimes familiar words, and "Namah" is very similar to "Name". I wonder if there's a common root here? In ancient, pre-Christian belief systems and mysticism it is said that names have power and to name something is to call on it and get its attention, especially when dealing with immortals. It was a way of "calling to" the Gods and Spirits, to call them for worship and/or ask favors. There is a part of my mind that hears Namah Sivaya that way too.

~Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Post Re: Shiva Bhajans

Hi fem_phoenix1109,

Om Namah Shivaaya
    Shivaaya namaha,
    Shivaaya namah om
    Shivaaya namaha, namaha Shivaaya
    Shambhu Shankara namah Shivaaya,
    Girijaa Shankara namah Shivaaya
    Arunaachala Shiva namah Shivaaya

I'll try to translate it.

Om,Salutations to Lord Shiva.
    Salutations to Him,
    the auspicious One.
    Salutations to Omkara,the holy syllable.
    Salutations to Lord Shiva,who is Omkara.
    Salutations to Lord Shambhu,who bestows happiness on his devotees.
    Salutations to Lord Shankara,who destroys negative qualities and instills confidence.
    Salutations to Goddess Girijaa,
    the daughter of the Himalayan mountains.
    Salutations to Lord Girijaa Shankara,who resides on the Kailasa mountain with Goddess Uma Hymavathi.
    Salutations to Arunachaleswara Shiva,who resides on the Arunachala mountain.
    Salutations to
    Arunachaleswara Shiva,who appeared as an Agni(Fire) Linga on the Arunachala mountain.
    Salutations to
    Arunachaleswara Shiva,who has manifested as the holy Arunachala mountain.

Forgive me if there are any mistakes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7qNlBwbatY...tage+Print.JPG
    http://img.yessy.com/248420293-1772b.jpg

Last edited by Ram11; 05 April 2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: To add these image links.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMV1lBBTH58

aragara sivan ari

arahara sivanari ayanivar paravimun
    aRumuga saravaNa ...... bavanE endru

anudhina mozhithara asurargaL keda ayil
    anal ena ezhavidum ...... athi veerA

paripura kamalama dhadiyiNai adiyavar
    uLamadhil uRa aruL ...... murugEsA

bagavathi varai magaL umai thara varu guha
    paramana dhiru sevi ...... kaLikUra

urai seyum oru mozhi piraNava mudivadhai
    urai tharu gurupara ...... uyarvAya

ulagaman alagila uyirgaLum imaiyavar
    avargaLu muRuvara ...... munivOrum

paravi mun anudhina manamagizh uRavaNi
    paNi thigazh thaNigaiyil ...... uRaivOnE

pagartharu kuRamagaL tharu amai vanidhaiyum
    irupudai uRavaru ...... perumALE.

......... Meaning .........

arahara sivanari ayanivar: The Trinity of SivA (remover of sins), Vishnu and BrahmA

paravimun: prostrate before You,

aRumuga saravaNa bavanE endru: praying "Oh Shanmukha, Saravanabhava" -

anudhina mozhithara: they chant like this everyday.

asurargaL keda ayil anal ena ezhavidum athi veerA: You throw the fiery spear to destroy all the demons (asuras), Oh Great Warrior!

paripura kamalama dhadiyiNai adiyavar: Your devotees hold in esteem Your lotus feet (that wear the anklets of valour)

uLamadhil uRa aruL murugEsA: in their hearts by Your grace, Oh Murugesa!

bagavathi varai magaL umai thara varu guha: Oh GuhA, You are the son of Bhagavathi, the great daughter of Mount of HimavAn.

paramana dhiru sevi kaLikUra: SivA's both ears were filled with joy when

urai seyum oru mozhi piraNava mudivadhai urai tharu gurupara: You interpreted to Him the meaning of the rare PraNava ManthrA (OM) which is cherished by all, Oh Great Master!

ulagaman alagila uyirgaLum: All those countless animate beings in this world,

imaiyavar avargaLu muRuvara munivOrum: along with DEvAs and Sages

paravi mun anudhina manamagizh: bow and happily offer worship to You everyday.

aNi paNi thigazh thaNigaiyil uRaivOnE: You reside at lovely ThiruththaNigai which was also worshipped by the Great Serpent VAsuki*.

pagartharu kuRamagaL: The famous damsel of KuRavAs, namely VaLLi,

tharu amai vanidhaiyum: and the maiden, DEvayAnai, who was reared under the KaRpaga Tree,

irupudai uRavaru perumALE.: flank You on both sides**, Oh Great One!

http://www.kaumaram.com/thiru/nt0240.html

Thread Information