Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's Richest Temple?

World's Richest Temple?

Namaste

Which temple in your opinion or knowledge is the richest Temple in the World (can be anywhere in the World on Earth) as far as treasures in the coffers and yearly donations and value of property?

Not that this makes it a better temple than another, but I am just curious. My understanding is it is the Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Kerala, India, with a value of from 20 billion US dollars to perhaps eveb 40 billion if you consider the collectable value of its many ancient coins in the vaults.

This is the Murti in gold:

Mahavishnu worth Rs. 500 Crores

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: World's Richest Temple?

Pranams

Before you mentioned this I always thought it was Tirumala Of Sri Bala Ji.

I did a quick Google search and came up with this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-17582194

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14075255

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-17093267

The last paragraph may be an interesting subject of debate.

Now I am not against these types of temples in anyway, so please bear with me.

I cant find it as of now but Ram Dasa the American devotee did a research some years ago, and studies showed that the general well being of areas that have a temple actually did more good for the social fabric of the people than any type of business investment.

India in its hey day was the super power and center of wealth and learning, some say this is the main reason for the Mogul invasion, which was a joint operation of some existing Indian Maharajas to help settle old scores, so due to foreign influence India is in the state that it is now.

Poverty in India is a serious issue, and over the last year I have seen a few times posted here and there video's on a group who beats the living day lights out of people involved in cow stealing. While it is a great sin in India to do this based on the nature and importance of Go Mata, it also appalls me to see so Vaishnavas enjoying seeing another human being beaten to a pulp. A human form of life is considered just as important if not more than the cow, and the cow is sacred for many reasons and as far as I know the cow is the stage before the human birth. Surely the outrage should be at poverty and at the corporations that buy stolen cows.

In Mahabharata King Yudhistira said that all mans good qualities are destroyed by poverty.

I have also heard that Indian women own more Gold than the central reserves banks of America.

What does God need, most of the highly revered saints lived like poor people. A complex issue.

Ys

Md

Nice info.

I like huge, busy, active temples personally, also those with a lot of history.

I love beauty. So I love beautiful rich temples. I just love them, like beautiful art. Yes poverty is always around, but does that mean we cannot have a beautiful oil painting by a great master in a beautiful museum for all to see? Of course we can have, and so too why not a beautiful temple?

I liked your details! You noted "Indian women often have gold" - it is true! My wife is Indian and she has heavy 24 carat gold bangles, gold earrings, and other gold and it is all sort of a "savings account". I have bought gold biscuts (small bars) from Nevada and then she has them melted down and an Indian jewelsmith makes gold fashion items for her.

"Savings" (for a rainy day, wedding gift, etc...)

I think you read it wrong, pretty sure I started out with I am not against these types of temples.

Vannakkam: The world's richest temple is the one that has reduced the veil between the world of the Gods, and the world of the human to nothing. That veil is so thin that the devotee comes away from the temple feeling changed forever, and substantially further towards moksha.

You can have your gold.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Deleted

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 14 December 2014 at 05:55 PM.

I give up. I wasn't saying gold is more important, Eastern Mind. All I am saying is a beautiful temple with a long history and as a result a bountiful treasury is not something to be condemned, just like a great work of art or sculpture in a beautiful museum is not some insult to the poor.

Also I was just confirming that among many Indian women, they wear their family savings" in the form of gold or silver jewelry and this same ornaments are good to have for a future emergency or as gifts to pass down for weddings, etc..

I do not know who you are directly refering to when yuu say "you can have your gold", to me? Or more worse to my wife?

I have no shame in my wife's collection, it is part of her culture and does not make her any less spiritual.

I thought this would be an interesting post and include history as well as a bit of fun. Instead it sounds like it is turned on it's head and then it feels like me and my family are being portrayed as a misrepresentation.

I think I am reaching the end of this... there is always piling on and I always feel less welcome.
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 12 December 2014 at 08:46 PM.

Namaste ShivaFan Ji,

There are different parameters to say which temples have more material wealth and which others have not so much.

Most temples had a lot agricultural land which was leased out to peasants.The income form these was utilized to run the temple,organize festivals and pay temple workers.These lands today are either encroached,sold off or were taken over by you-know-who..

Some temples like Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple have gold assets.This gold can not be sold as it belongs to Lord Vishnu.But it has antique value and used for ritual decorations.A lot of temples fall in this category.

Some temples have a lot of liquid assets like cash.These temples seem to implement many ideas to develop themselves.

I am not sure if having intricate,beautiful art is factor as a living temple always lives and its sculptural or mural art can never be removed or relocated to a museum nor even valued.

I hope members can tell about other temples.
    Last edited by Ram11; 09 July 2015 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I give up.
    Vannakkam: Honestly, I had no intention whatsoever of insulting you or your post or your family. I was merely making a comment about temples and their purpose. I adore gold as well, as it has mystical qualities known to the ancients. Much gold (and jewels) is hidden under temples, especially sanctums, for this very purpose of acting as a conductor.

As far as I know, the temple in Kerala is the richest. In modern times it's probably Tirupati.

But if you feel insulted, there isn't much a I can say or do, is there? I feel as frustrated as you do, as many days I don't want to write anything at all for fear of insulting someone. Obviously, my fears are founded as well.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranams

Sri Venkatesawara temple is setting a good example

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2010/11/ti...oes-green.html

Ys

Md

Thread Information