Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are all these philosophies?

Re: What are all these philosophies?

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya
    Since you're only 14 no philosophy is for you. Wait until you're 18 or 19
    PranAm,

Why age restriction? As far as I know, Bhedabheda theory is Achintya - unimaginable. That means NO ONE knows what's the core aspect of this theory. Achintya theory seems for me very simple. Everyone can understand that. It's, Jiva is qualitatively non-different from Brahman and quantitatively different. I don't think 14 year boy can't understand this.

Age is not a barrier for those who are blessed and naturally gifted and we are no one to judge for someone.

"Achintya" does not means "unimaginable" but inconceivable ( most close english word) and how can something can be "simultaneously one yet different" and that is not as simple as you have put it in the above message ( i bet even someone in their 50s and 60s cannot comprehend such things)

Since you're only 14 no philosophy is for you. Wait until you're 18 or 19.
    Grames said which is Gaudiya vaishnava philosophy.
    I explained which books are meant for you, did you noticed?
    I noticed and i understand that it'll be a little hard at my age, but i just wanted to know about it so in the future i would understand which philosphy to go into, thank you,

Jai Sri Radhe Syam!

Advaita- Propounded by Sri Adi Shankara nationwide, it states that there is no difference between Atma and Paramatma, meaning Atma is Brahman.

Dvaita- Propounded by Sripad Madhvacharya, it states that atma is completely different from Paramatma.

Vishishtadvaita= Propounded by Sripad Ramanujacharya, it states that Atma is a spark or a ray of God. I THINK they believe that every atma is a attribute of Brahman, meaning ATma is not complete God, but we are also part of God.

Achintya Bheda Abheda is similar to Vishistadvaita, but not completely.

Note that all these philosophies/acharyas were Vaisnava.
    Thank you, + 1

However, it might be beneficial to start with the simple books listed in the link and if they make sense then progress to the more complex ones.
    Yes, thank you!

I guess i will start off with small books then delve into deeper philosophy when i am more mature,

Thank you all,

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam!
    "Hare Krisha Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare" ¬ The Glorious Mahamantra. Chant this 108 times a day and keep Samsara away

Namaste,

As others have said, there is no age restriction if you are wise beyond years. If you are in a rush to know them it is not a good idea.

The core of any philosophy is

1. Independent Identity - ISvara / God - the Supreme Godhead
    2. Dependent Identity - jIva nad jagat - soul and the creation / world.

Except Advaita, all other philosophies consider this world as real and soul as real and tiny.

Advaita has split up reality into two -

relative reality and
    absolute reality

Relative Reality is further split up into

Empirical reality / practical reality called as vyavahArika satya meaning that we experience in waking consciousness
    Dream reality called as prAtibhAsika satya - that we experience in dream.

Absolute reality is called as pArmirthika satya.

From standpoint of absolute reality, everything other than Brahman is illusion. It is not easy to explain in few words.

In shaivism, in general, it is accepted that Siva is supreme, but is formless (nirAkAra), but not nirguNa (without attributes).

Only advaita interprets nirguNa as beyond attributes / without attributes, while all other philosophies IMO, translate nirguNa as that which does not have durguNa i.e. one which is free from negative qualities i.e. having spiritual qualities.

Grames ji Namaste How are you

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Advaita has split up reality into two -

relative reality and
    absolute reality

Relative Reality is further split up into

Empirical reality / practical reality called as vyavahArika satya meaning that we experience in waking consciousness
    Dream reality called as prAtibhAsika satya - that we experience in dream.

Absolute reality is called as pArmirthika satya.

From standpoint of absolute reality, everything other than Brahman is illusion. It is not easy to explain in few words.
    Namaste,

Not related to OP.

There is a similar two truth theory(Satya Dvaya) in Buddhism.I wonder if the Buddhists borrowed it from the Advaitins or the Advaitins absorbed it from Buddhism and modified it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_truths_doctrine
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

Not related to OP.

There is a similar two truth theory(Satya Dvaya) in Buddhism.I wonder if the Buddhists borrowed it from the Advaitins or the Advaitins absorbed it from Buddhism and modified it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_truths_doctrine
    Namaste,

Advaita has many concepts closely related to Buddhism. Our theory has scriptural support

Br. Up - 2.3.6 (II-iii-6)
    Br. Up.- 4.5.15
    BG - 13.17
    P.Y.S. - 2.22

Legends:

Br. up.: Brihadaranya Upanishad
    BG: Bhagavad Gita
    P.Y.S.: Patanjali Yoga Sutra

I will only say that it is my own interpretation of the above quoted verses. Lord Buddha himself said that his teachings will only last for 500 years.

Further discussion will derail this thread.

EDIT:

P.S. Please do not give wiki-pramANa, many times the info given is not correct. Wiki is highly influenced by westerners. On the page of advaita vedanta, opinions of dvaitin B.N.K. sharma is given which was not needed.

OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 17 July 2014 at 03:35 AM.

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Namaste,

EDIT:

P.S. Please do not give wiki-pramANa, many times the info given is not correct. Wiki is highly influenced by westerners. On the page of advaita vedanta, opinions of dvaitin B.N.K. sharma is given which was not needed.

OM
    Namaste ,

Sorry Ji.I did not want to give the wiki link but I felt lazy to open my cupboard and find Nagarjuna's literature/
    Mahayana Sutras that had this theory.My bad.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

[SIZE=3]

PranAm, there is nothing like two realities in Advaita. Brahman alone is there. Adi Shankara never proposed that there are two realities. Relative reality is considered as illusion. Through Maya people believe this non-existent reality(worldly existence) as real. In such existence as well, there's null existence of such relative existence.

Through worldly existence people see asat as sat. This is it and I think there's no need to call this reality or relative reality. Beacause seeing asat as sat is itself non-existent. So seeing distinctions of realities is itself under maya. Jeeva neither has bondage nor Moksha. When Jeeva seems to be merged in Brahman, it's is like Brahman has become Brahman again.

Why should relative reality be called as reality? Because I am not seeing bondage of Atma whatsoever.

s. On the page of advaita vedanta,opinions of dvaitin B.N.K. sharma
    Nice fairy story Sharma has proposed. I think he (so called scholar) doesn't know Dattatreya's teachings which are much much older than Buddha's times. Datta, which is the avatara of knowledge - Vishnu, is teaching Advaita since Satya yuga.
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 17 July 2014 at 06:37 AM.

Namaste ,

Sorry Ji.I did not want to give the wiki link but I felt lazy to open my cupboard and find Nagarjuna's literature/
    Mahayana Sutras that had this theory.My bad.
    Namaste ji,

It is ok to copy verses from available sources to save time. What I say is that the info given in wiki is not dependable.

OM

Thread Information