Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VISHNU SAHASRANAMA- BIG DOUBT

Re: VISHNU SAHASRANAMA- BIG DOUBT

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste
    In 2011 in Banglapore India there was a huge congregational chanting of the Vishnu Sahasranama, involving multiple Vaishnav communities, and all were welcome as well, no restrictions.

I know for a fact that the Sri Vishnu Sahasranam as found in the Mahabharata, Anusasana Parva, Section 149, verses 14 to 120, is chanted regularly by Vaishnavs in homes including by women. So my observation is sects who restrict women are a minority. For some it is every day, for others then on days of an eclipse to mitigate effects of planets and other times. In MANY Sanskrit courses here in California, students are asked to learn by heart the Vishnu Saharanama as part of beginning Sanskrit studies.

By the way, for anyone in the Bay Area of California, there are Vishnu Sahasranama classes in the Bay Area at the Sanatan Dharma Kendra in Sunnyvale, California, typically starting at 7:30pm. Here is there link if you are interested in attending:

http://www.sanatandharmakendra.org/

In fact there is one today (May 5, 2014 at 730pm) "Vishnu Sahasranamam chanting class", all are welcome, children, adults, men and women.

There are others also if live in the Bay Area as I do, for example there are Bay Area contacts of the Datta Yoga Hanuman Temple (where Sri Vishnu Sahasranama Sloka learning courses started in January of this year 2014) that also have instruction.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Pranam ShivaFan...

It's all good. No one is opposing the right of woman to recite vishnu sahasranama. I was talking about vedic rituals & mantras.

No doubt, women can chant vishnu sahasranama. Ishwara nama is open to all higher & lower varnas. There are two reasons which support the right of women to recite that. First, Nama is open to all. Even chandala can perform nama japa and the second, sahasranama is from mahabharata which was created for shudras & women.

Jai Krishna..

Question Re: VISHNU SAHASRANAMA- BIG DOUBT

+++Help+++

With mercy, can someone post here Mantras of Karanyasa and Hridayadi Anganyasa for Vishnu Sahasranama? I need it.

Thank You.

Namaste HLK

I see. I thought someone was saying folks cannot chant SVS. I was about to contact a Vaishnav group leadership to find out, but I see even you agree anyone can chant the 1000 Names of Vishnu.

Even I, a Saiva, have chanted the 1000 names in Oakland California during a public chanting in the 1970s and again in the 80s.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste
    Namaste HLK

I see. I thought someone was saying folks cannot chant SVS. ... but I see even you agree anyone can chant the 1000 Names of Vishnu.
    Yes, who knows how this happened?

Even I, a Saiva, have chanted the 1000 names in Oakland California during a public chanting in the 1970s and again in the 80s.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Tell us something about it, how did it come about?
    Thanks

regards

Namaste hinduism♥krishna Ji,

May I know why you changed your opinion?Do you mean anyone can chant SVS or just the Namavali/Namas(i.e. SVS split up into names)?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste ShivaFan Ji,

Please do contact that Vaishanava Acharya,it would be better if we know the opinions of different Sampradayas.Ultimately,we might know a lot of information about SVS.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste
    http://vedabase.net/sb/1/4/25/en

Out of compassion, the great sage thought it wise that this would enable men to achieve the ultimate goal of life. Thus he compiled the great historical narration called the Mahābhārata for women, laborers (shudras) and friends of the twice-born.
    Slightly Incorrect Translation

स्त्रीशूद्रद्विजबंधूनां त्रयी न श्रुतिगोचरा ।
    कर्मश्रेयसि मूढानां श्रेय एवं भवेदिह ।
    इति भारतमाख्यानं कृपया मुनिना कृतम् ॥ २५

स्त्रीशूद्रद्विजबंधूनां- of women, Shudra, Brahmabandhu | त्रयी- These three | श्रुतिगोचरा- not in the scope ( field for action) | कर्मश्रेयसि- About Karma rituals which cause welfare | मूढानां- of unintelligent | श्रेय- welfare | एवं- this way | भवेदिह- will become in this | इति भारतमाख्यानं- Mahabharata | कृपया- with mercy | मुनिना कृतम् - created by Muni |

Meaning: Veda is not the field of action for women, shudra and brahmabandhu . These unintelligent people's welfare about Karma Rituals will be caused, knowing thus with mercy Muni created Bharata. [ Mahabharata ]

राम कृष्ण हरी
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 15 May 2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Hari On!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste hinduism♥krishna Ji,

May I know why you changed your opinion?Do you mean anyone can chant SVS or just the Namavali/Namas(i.e. SVS split up into names)?

Let them do. But I'm not still completely agreed that women can chant Vishnu SahastraNama as like a Brahmana or Dvija. As per my view, women and shudra have right for Vishnu Sahastranama but only by Shravanam [Hearing from Dvijas] not by JapaYadnya.

Let me mention some couple of supports from Shruti and Smriti.

तस्मात् शूद्रो यज्ञ अनवक्ल्रुप्त ( तै. स. ७|१|१|६| ) - So Shudra has no right in Yadnya.

सुगतिमियात् श्रवणात् च शुद्रयोनिः | इति हरिवंशे | - So only those shudra attain ParamaGati who Hear.

So I think it is possible that women and shudra have right to hear Vishnu Shastranama from Brahmana or Dvija. Because they have right in shravanam but not in JapaYadnya. I said Possible but not sure.

Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 15 May 2014 at 02:30 AM.
    Hari On!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

I saw on a Vaishnava website that women must not chant SVS since it is considered a mantra by Vaishnava Acharyas.
    Personally I feel women should be allowed to chant.

EDIT:I think it would be appropriate for women to practice as suggested by their own Sampradaya Acharyas.
    The Vishnu Sahasranama is an integral part of the Mahabharata and the Mahabharata does not place restrictions based on gender and caste on chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama. Later sectarian acharyas have tried to hijack the Vishnu Sahasranama, but if you are not a member of said sampradaya, you can basically ignore whatever those acharyas are saying.

The nyasa is not a part of the Mahabharata, but from Tantric origin. It has become customary, especially in South India, to chant it along the Sahasranama. The phala shruti has also been extended with shlokas from other sources, including the Bhagavad Gita. The dhyana shlokas are also not found in the Mahabharata.

Guess whoever says SVS cant be chanted by women or shudras are the real shudras themselves

Typical dumb brahminical superiority show off

Vishnu is the lord of all the father of all the sustenance of all.
    If vishnu loved brahmins more than others then is He supplying 30percent oxygen to brahmins and 20percent of oxygen to women and shudras???and or does vishnu make brahminical excreta smell like flowers while women and shudras release yucky odor:P:P or is the Lord supplying pure water to brahmins or does the Lord remove the pesticides in the vegetables the brahmins eat!!! if He is not doing any of the above it means He is equal to allAnd HIS names can be chanted by anyone except those who are egoistic and ignorant just like the gurus of kaliyuga who propagate caste system and differentiate the souls who are none but the children of Vishnu

Thread Information