Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: What does the Supreme really want?

Re: What does the Supreme really want?

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

When a rabid dog barks at you and you bark back, you dehumanize yourself and become a barking dog. Do you think that your guru would be proud of you when he learns what you made of yourself in defending him? Would you be proud of yourself by knowing that after all the spiritual training that was imparted to you, you remained/became a barking dog? The spiritual leader never loses his position; it is his devotees who go up or down based on their actions and devotion.

Need I say more?

Pranam.
    Exactly.
    We can and should respond to the comment that was made at the expense of our authority, guru, or tradition, but we should not see it as insulting and certainly do not need to make a fool of ourselves and become a "barking dog".

This is the best thing I have heard lately: "Would you be proud of yourself by knowing that after all the spiritual training that was imparted to you, you remained/became a barking dog?"

regards

Pranam

Your quote was interesting but I don't think I got the source of the quote.
    Sri Aurobindo also describes this idea of stretching when talking about Sri Shankara's commentary on the Isha Upanishad. However he did first give him kudos before criticizing him. I am relying on the accuracy of another poster for this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Sri Aurobindo
    Unfortunately there has been a great deal of unnecessary confusion regarding the meaning of this Upanishad. Shankara is generally recognised as the most important commentator of the Isha Upanishad, but if all these conclusions are accepted, then Mayavada, the Illusionism of Shankara, sinks in the bottomless ocean. The founder of Mayavada is incomparable and immensely powerful among the philosophers. Just as thirsty Balaram brought to his feet the Yamuna unwilling to alter her course, by dragging and pulling her with a plough, so also Shankara, finding this Upanishad destroyer of Mayavada and standing across the path toward his destination, dragged and pulled the meaning till it agreed with his own opinion. One or two examples will suffice to show the miserable condition to which this Upanishad has been reduced by such treatment.

Hari Aum

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Debate is very much a part of Hinduism, as such we would have differing views. How is that can be construed as an insult let alone an offence?

Allow me to qualify what I meant by "stretching" by the way that was addressed to all sects. This statement make great deal of sense to me and I quote ...
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I have been following some of the conversations offered above. There is some attention given to debate, (constructive ) criticism and the like.
    Let me mention that many of the schools within sanātana dharma over the ages had no problem with debating each other. It was done in a civil but vigorous manner. Yet one thing they did that seems remiss within HDF is the following format that was practiced by other darśana-s ( schools) of the past:
    • Each school took care to learn the other school’s views
    • Before any discussion or debate or even jalpa (a kind of disputation) would occur it was the responsibility of the tārkika ( philosopher, logician) to state the views of his opponent i.e.the opponent’s school of thought as he understood it.
      • This statement as we are told is called pūrvapakṣa or the prior view.
    • Then followed his refute/issues with this view; this was called khaṇḍana or refuting; the word also means grinding, reducing to pieces. In modern-day language we would call it, taking the subject apart, piece by piece. An interrogation with commentary on each level.
    • Last came the statements of proof offered by the tārkika – his positon on the matter in question. This was called uttarapakṣa (demonstrated truth , or conclusion)
    If one wishes to see this approach in action you can view the brahmasūtra-s ( some call the vedāntasūtra-s), or one can look to the mīmāṁsa sutras-s of jaiminī.

Do you see this approach applied ( in part or in whole) on HDF ? Could we not do a better job of asking the other side for their understanding of the subject at hand... or, stating what you believe the other side to be? Just this one thing of clarifying the point of view ( without daggers from the lips as the wise would say) goes a long way.

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 29 September 2014 at 12:24 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Admin Note
    namaste,

Thread under review.
    satay

Thread Information