Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liberal Gaudiya Vaisnava gurus

Re: Liberal Gaudiya Vaisnava gurus

I know of an ISKCON devotee who was offering "couples yoga" and other bizarre innovations some years ago.

I agree with the view that if you want a liberal guru who will tell you want you want to hear and thus cheat you, there should be no problem finding one.

Of course, there are those who would scream in protest that these people are just giving us their "personal opinions." What's wrong with that? How dare we force them to follow our standard? Not that we are actually doing that, but in the eyes of some, the mere discussing of the Vedic standard is tantamount to "forcing" others to follow it.
    Last edited by philosoraptor; 17 August 2013 at 07:42 PM.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Red Face Re: Liberal Gaudiya Vaisnava gurus

Hi everyone! I'm new here and hope I don't sound stupid. I am a Christian who has become interested in the hindu way of life - especially devoted toward Krishna. My confusion all started when I read the bible. Some things just didn't seem right, and I found contradictions. I read "Eat, Pray, Love about 4 years ago, and I thought, "I want to experience the Divine Presence like the author did when she practiced chanting and meditating in the ashram." Then over the summer I read "The Journey Home": autobiography of an American Swami. It seemed like God really called him to follow Him as Krishna. The author and swami asked the same questions to gurus & devotees that I already had in my mind, and they were answered. Jesus said to just look at the fruit produced by the tree, and I saw how devoted the sadhus & devotees were to God and how selfless they were. One thing that I feel a little discouraged about is how strict a life style the Hare Krishnas live: no sex, even if you are married unless you are trying to conceive, no coffee or alcohol, no meat, fish or eggs. Are there people who worship Krishna who don't live that strict of a life style? Is it just the Hare Krishnas who are that strict? I was wondering if I said the Krishna mantra along with other chants if that would make me gradually give up meat and give up alcohol and coffee, or if I would be harming myself spiritually & or physically by saying the Krishna mantra when I still eat meat, drink alcohol and drink coffee.

Re: Liberal Gaudiya Vaisnava gurus

Quote Originally Posted by gentleness View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and hope I don't sound stupid. I am a Christian who has become interested in the hindu way of life - especially devoted toward Krishna.
    Hare Krishna

Did you receive any answers to your questions? This post was quite a while ago and I don't see responses.

with respect,
    amala gaura das

Thread Information