Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Re: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Pages 50-55 (concluding part)

A bhakta--devotee, named Kulkarni, placed a wrist-watch in front of PeriyavA.

'What is this for?', PeriyavA asked him by a glance.

"I have brought this so you can give to a man doing kaingkaryam--service, with you. PeriyavA can do as he wishes."

Picking up that wrist-watch, PeriyavA looked at it, turning it this way and that. Then he called and asked me to wear it on my wrist. "This should always remain in your wrist. Whenever I ask you the time, you should tell me", he ordered.

That wrist-watch is still with me. I am safeguarding it as a rare pokkiSham--(Tamizh) treasure.

A village called UkAr Kurth on the banks of KRShNa river. There, we were staying in a Shiva temple.

PeriyavA would arise much early in the morning and sit up. He would at that time wake up one among us who were doing his kaingkaryam and converse with him.

One day when he was talking to me in that manner, he spoke elaborately about Indira Gandhi. (I gain nothing by knowing such things. In addition, it seemed to me at that time that there was a trace of sneer in PeriyavA's talk. Still I was listening to him as SivanE--doing nothing like Shiva!)

He said that Indira Gandhi was the arasu kAttha ammai--mother who saved the nation, in the twentieth century, and spoke about the sacrifices she had done for the country.

It all seemed awkward to me. PeriyavA would sometimes be conversing with us in a funny and sneering way. I thought it was one such occasion.

"Going to KAnchIpuram, on the outer compound wall of the EkAmbaranAthar temple, you should draw two pictures. One, the picture of the seventh century arasu kAttha ammai--also called tAntOnRi amman--self-manifested goddess; two, the picture of the arasu kAttha ammai (Indira Gandhi) in the twentieth century."

I was listening to it all, standing; and then I said, "No, I won't do it."

"Right, now get out (and see)", he told me.

When I came out and looked around, I found some Railway officials waiting for a darshan (of Indira Gandhi). And I understood that PeriyavA spoke so that it all would fall on their ears.

Another funny incident.

"Prepare a hundred, or hundred-and-fifty, pavun kAsugaL--gold coins, and bring them in a bottle, do it forthwith", PeriyavA ordered me. I could not follow him for a minute. Then, understanding what he said, I moved away from the place and came out.

Many people were waiting outside for darshan. What PeriyavAL spoke to me had indeed fallen on the ears of everyone outside. Some of them had the nappAsai--(Tamizh) fond hope, 'A hundred, or hundred-and-fifty pavun kAsugaL! It would be preferable that I get two or three of them! I can keep them in the puja...'

Everyone surrounded me. They supplicated to me, "Get me two or three coins." "AhA!" I said and moved from that place.

To have darshan of PeriyavAL, Vedic pandits and those learned in the shAstras--scriptures, would come. Giving them importance, PeriyavA would bless them with some kind of sanmAnam--gift.

When I was moving away from that place fast, a mahA paNDita from Mylapore (Chennai) called me with nayam--(Tamizh) civility. "You should get me ten or twelve gold coins", he told me. "Okay".

What PeriyavA referred to (not to explain it as such in front of the many present before him) was only the chips prepared by cutting the nEndirangkAi--a variety of long banana that is famous in Kerala, into round pieces and frying them.

When I placed before him a bottle of those chips in an hour, I told him about what the Mylapore Pandit had asked me. "Call him" he said. The man came.

"Extend both your hands..." The Pandit was happy inside like getting drenched in a shower of snow flakes.

He extended both his hands. Taking a handful of chips from the bottle, PeriyavA dropped them into his hands. The Pandit couldn't understand anything. Still, how to ask PeriyavAL? What to ask?

When he came out receiving the chips, the Pandit asked me. "Why did PeriyavA give chips to me?"

"Only what you asked for."

"Me? Why should I ask him for chips? When did I ask him?"

"You asked me an hour ago; and I told PeriyavA about it..."

He blinked. "But then what fell in my ears sounded like gold coins..."

"That is nothing but this one! What PeriyavA uttered in zleShas--pun, was only this..."

A great disappointment for the vidvAn. He consoled himself, "The prasAdam--divine gift, PeriyavA gave..."

Calling things with iDukuRip-peyar--(Tamizh) conventional name, talking in zleShas--pun, all such things being in aparimitam--unmeasured, in PeriyavAL--we had enjoyed it.

When we were staying in UkAr Kurth, (Tamizh cine actor) Gemini GaNesan's wife came for darshan. When she was talking to PeriyavAL, a poor brAhmaNa--brahmin, of that village came and sought financial assistance from PeriyavA, for the marriage of his daughter.

PeriyavA told Gemini GaNesan's wife, "If you have anything, why not give him?"

Forthwith, the woman removed a pair of gold bangles she was wearing and gave them, with much happiness.

"Don't give it to him now. Enough to give him four days before the marriage", PeriyavA said. Then he told a bank manager who had come there, "Keep these in your bank locker. You can give then later."

Two days later, the same brAhmaNa came and wept loudly. He said all the things at his home were lost in theft, on the previous night. The only property remained were the bangles in the locker! "By PeriyavA's anugraham--divine favours, at least those gold bangles escaped (from getting stolen)..."

Laughing, PeriyavA said, "What came for the head ended up with the turban, pO--go (with the consolation)", and gave him prasAdam.

The value of those bangles at that time was twenty thousand rupees!

If the kaingkaryaparas--assistants, of those days, had the bhAgyam--fortune, of enjoying such countless incidents presented before their very eyes, it is their pUrva-janma-puNya-phala--fruits of the meritorious acts of previous births!

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

kAkka, kAkka, aRaneRi kAkka: protecting dharma
    author:....... from the darshan magazine
    compiler:..... T.S.KOthaNDarAma sarma
    translator.... saidevo
    source:....... MahA PeriyavAL darisana anubhavangaL v03-pp056-058
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamizh

There are some visheSha dharmAnuShThAnas--distinct disciplines of dharma, meant for the saMnyAsins--ascetics. In that, for a tuRavi--(tam)ascetic, sitting as the pIThAdhipati--pontiff, there are severe disciplines and restraints.

A morning time at shrIMaTham, KAnchIpuram, a quarter of a century back. There was not much crowd of aDiyArs--(tam)devotees, on that day.

When MahAPeriyavAL was giving darshan, a sumanggali--married woman with a living husband, came like AmbAL who hasn't been decorated. She went straight to PeriyavAL and prostrated. As she got up her eyes were filled with sudden tears.

Some personal matter or problem or obstacle--she stands for guidance hoping for a private audience with PeriyavAL.

Her eyes beg: 'Why don't you let your look of affection fall on me?' Her lips tremble: 'Can't you listen what I would tell you?'

The aruLarasar--king of compassion, indeed wanted to listen to her. But then the vidhi--injunction that he should not talk alone with a woman restraints him?

The ammaiyAr--(tam)motherly woman, without moving from her place, was gushing tears. Only if she moves away could the other devotees waiting, can get near PeriyavA. How long should this predicament last?

With a snap of fingers, PeriyavA called a personal assistant. "Look for a man here who is stone deaf..."

The assistant was a fortunate man! He found a stone deaf man in a few seconds!

"Do one kAryam--thing. When he comes with that ammAL--motherly woman, call him by name clapping your hands. From his response if he turns his head to look at you, we can understand if he is really a deaf man..."

[In this tantra--trick/stratagem, that PeriyavAL taught him, there is a hidden meaning. Suppose the assistant, in some loss of interest, brings some man before PeriyavA telling him, 'You just stand before PeriyavA as a deaf man, that would be enough'? That would become a saMkaTam--embarrassment/discomposure for the ammaNi--(tam)motherly woman, who wants to discuss her family matters. So, an advice to test the deafness!]

With the stone deaf man standing near her, that ammaiyAr poured out all the Atangkam--affliction of mind, within her.

The karuNAmUrti--image of compassion. who was listening to her in patience, sent her away giving prasAdam and thus honouring her. Tears were (still) seen in the ammaiyAr's eyes, but those were tears of joy! Only the piRaichUDi--(Shiva) who wears the crescent moon, has answered her!

After the ammaiyAr left receiving prasAdam, a gesture to the deaf man, 'You too can go now.'

At the same time the tuRavu neRi--discipline of asceticism, was protected, it became possible to do pAlanam--nourish, a sumanggali with his aruL--compassion!

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

The foe of the tobacco fumes
    author:....... VenkaTarAman, TiruppUr
    compiler:..... T.S.KOthaNDarAma sarma
    translator.... saidevo
    source:....... MahA PeriyavAL darisana anubhavangaL v03-pp059-060
    type:......... book, Tamizh

MahA SvAmigaL's mukhAm--camp, in Karnool. I went there for kShetrAdanam and darshanam.

Young age (we were of). Owing to circumstances, some of us (including me) were caught in the bad habit of smoking tobacco. I was praying to God for a long time that the habit should leave for ever. But then I did not give it up and continued to smoke.

We went for darshan of MahA SvAmigaL at Karnool. He was seated at a distance. Looking at SvAmigaL, I did a mAnasIka prArthanA--mental prayer, deeply, and with tears. He blessed me. Neither did I speak to him about my mental worry nor did he ask anything about it. But then his very compassionate look rattled me.

When I was returning to TiruppUr, I had intense fever and body pain. Was addmitted to a hospital after I reached my place. I became a new man within the ten days I stayed there! I got the yogyatA--propriety to say of myself as a bhakta of MahA SvAmigaL whose bad habit was gone. Even today, our family is praying to that deity who changed me as a man.

Today's youth who are afflicted with a bad habit, if they go round the brindAvanam of MahA SvAmigaL at shrIMaTham, KAnchi(puram), and do an AtmArta prArthanA, falling at his feet with tears and a melting heart, they would surely be relieved of the habit and live a good life.

--viShNu purANam

kAnchi paramAchArya: Devotees' Experiences In poetic form
    01. hastAmalakam: gooseberry on the palm
    saidevo 14/09/2012

A stern devotee of kAnchi Sage was kalyANa sundaram.
    He wished to go to kAshi and do his father's shrAddham.
    Of shankara maTham he heard, and planned his trip.
    Went there and finished the rites, with Sage's grace.

One day he had darshan of the kAshi gods.
    Was walking back to maTham through a lane.
    He had inside his handbag a small, yellow, cloth bag.
    His tickets, money were in a plastic pouch in the yellow bag.

kAma kOTIshvar darshan he had, and sat on the outer yard.
    Then he opened his hand bag to take out his travel plan.
    "sarvEshvarA! mahAprabO!", he cried aloud, his body trembling.
    The yellow bag in the handbag was found missing!

His was in shock with streams of tears in eyes.
    What to do now? How to meet their next meal?
    He was aghast, with not a single paisa on hand.
    His eyes went dark, and he leaned against a pillar, broken.

His family inside the temple knew nothing of it.
    "I came with faith in you but you've abandoned me!"
    Passers by took his wail as an old man's cry to god.
    The family was restless too for the next two hours.

It was then that the Sage's grace started working.
    A cycle rickshaw stopped near him silently.
    An old man clad in lunghi alighted, looking at him.
    And came straight to him with a yellow cloth bag.

In the tone of an intimate friend, the old man said:
    "Hey mitra! This is your bag, right? Where did you leave it?"
    Handing over the yellow bag he said: "Now, keep it safe."
    Then the old man dissolved in the crowd without a trace.

All was intact in the plastic pouch in the yellow bag.
    How did the man who came long after, disappear?
    Tears gushing, they prostrated towards where kAnchi was.
    They knew nothing to do just then, except to cry.

paramAchArya is AtmasvarUpa, the very form of Brahman.
    For those who think he is afar, he is the moon.
    To those who seek him everywhere, a hastAmalakam.

Note:
    kAnchi = kAnchIpuram, the headquarters of kAmakOTi pITham, whose 68th pontif was the paramAchArya.
    kAshi = the sacred Benaras town
    shrAddham=annual ceremony for the deceased.
    maTham=monk house, monastery
    kAshi gods=God vishvanAtha and Goddess annapUraNI
    sarvEshvarA! = O God Almighty!
    mahAprabO! = O Great Lord!
    mitra = friend

--viShNu purANam

After discovering this thread today for the first time, I have so far read the 1st 5 posts... and really, it gives me such immense tranquility. This thread is a treasure. I want to applaud Saidevoji for all his effort. Thank you, Sir.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

unmathta naTanam: Frantic dance!
    devotee:...... Sundaresan, New Delhi
    compiler:..... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.7, page 94-96
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (Oct 2009 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamil
    translated by..saidevo

Sundaresan, New Delhi, had boundless interest towards God NaTarAjA. If naTarAja tattvam--principle of NaTarAjA, was feast for his intellect, NaTarAjA's statues were feast for his eyes and heart.

What is the distinction in the NaTarAjA statue of KonEripuram? Of what sort is NaTarAjA of TiruvAlankADu? What is so special about the sacred physique of Thillai (Chidambaram) NaTarAjA? The largest NaTarAjA vigraham--statue in the world is at NeyvEli--he would speedily throw such ample details in no time.

Sundaresan who had unshakable bhakti--devotion towards the shaking God, also had solid bhakti towards KAnchi MahA-periyavAL too, who was often sitting motionless in silence.

Sundaresan, hands folded on his chest, stood before the mahA-svAmigaL.

"Did you see the MakizhanjchEri NaTarAjA?"

Like an arrow the question hit him.

'I never mentioned my antaranga--personal, interest in NaTarAjA to PeriyavAL... How did he know it?'

"No", said Sundaresan.

"It's near the village PanangkuDi, this MakizhanjchEri. You know about the visheSham--distinction in that village? NaTarAja Shivam is doing his nita-vAsam--permanent living, in the PerumAL (ViShNu) temple! A vigraham that is more wonderful than (the one) at Chidambaram. Go and see it. Come back and tell me what speciality you observed in it."

Sundaresan went to MakizhanjchEri the very next day, and went to the PerumAL temple, taking a BhaTTAchArya--ViShNu temple priest, with him. When the priest heard that it was 'periyavAL uthtiravu'--PeriyavA's order, he set Sundaresan in aikyam--unity with NaTarAjA.

Inch by inch--tiruvAsi--(Tam)the circular, decorated, metal frame around the statue, locks of hair that were spread, hand that carried an uDukku--(Tam) a small drum, another sacred hand that carried the fiery flame, a beautiful face where a smile of Anandam--bliss snaked through, the sacred foot that was aloft, the other foot firmly rooted on the ground--Sundaresan saw every feature in the statue. His orders were to report any speciality he watched, right?

Oh! That flower of the thorn-apple plant! That's it, which lies overturned on the head! Shouldn't it be straight? This one looks overturned and slipping, about to fall over the apex of the forehead? Why so?

Standing ten feet away, Sundaresan watched it. He went to see the back of the statue and was enthralled at the beauty of the back! The statue was created to portray the body-insensate state of the Ananda tANDavam--frantic dance of bliss!

Sundaresan stood before PeriyavAL (who asked him):

"Doesn't the MakizhanjchEri NaTarAjA look like he is in body-insensate tANDavam?"

"Yes, it is tatrUpam--very natural, as if the thorn-apple flower on the head overturns and is about to slip through the front of his head."

"bheSh!--well! You have looked very well at the details! NaTarAjA has performed different varieties of dance in different kShetras--sacred places. At MakizhanjchEri, it was unmatta naTanam--crazy, frantic dance, which is an-apUrva--rare naTanam--dance!"

The devotees who were audience to this speech were enthralled, with loss of sensation of their body. But then, PeriyavAL himself, fully conscious of his body, was wandering in the great space of ShivAnanda!

--viShNu purANam

The world guru in KAnchi town
    devotee:...... shrI SatchidAnanda svAmigaL, TirukkuRRAlam
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.7, page 206-207
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (Oct 2009 Edition)
    translated by..saidevo

(I am) One who came in the lineage of mahAbhAShyam Ananta GOpAlakRuShNa sAstrigaL who was the rAjaguru--royal priest, of the PudukkOTTai samasthAnam--dominion. Both SAdAsiva BrahmEndra and GOpAlakRuShNa sAstrigaL were students of the same pAThashAlA--Vedic school. Both were trained in their education and knowledge from the same teacher. Only on SAdAsiva BrahmEndra's advice was my ancestor SAstrigaL was appointed as the kulaguru--family priest of the royal lineage.

Several times has MahA-svAmigaL visited Namana-samudram, where my ancestors lived. I had darshan of MahA-periyavAL in October 1965 and sought his anugraham--divine favour,for my KAshI yAtrA--pilgrimage. PeriyavA did not only blessed me wholeheartedly but also explained to me about certain tasks to be done in KAshi. Chiefly, a vidvat sadas--assembly of scholars, should be conducted, he said, and that all the saMnyAsins--ascetics in KAShi should be given a day's bhikShA--alms of food.

"A poor dampati--husband-wife, are much desirous of going to KAShi, but they have no funds. Would you take them with you?" he asked me.

I accepted it, considering it a fourtune.

At PrayAga, I took a potful of clean ganggA jalam--water of the Ganges river, for PeriyavAL. When he was staying at KALahasti, I submitted the sacred pot-water to him on 27.11.1963.

Later, when PeriyavAL was staying at ChOzhavaram near Chennai, I had darshan of him and stayed there.

The next day at 11:00 hours, for his mAdhyAnika snAnam--noon bath, PeriyavAL walked towards a tank nearby.

"aiyA--sir, you go ahead of him with the GangA water pot. PeriyavA is going to take bath in your GangA water today", said his assistant.

Myself and my wife hurried to the tank. PeriyavA was standing in the middle of the tank. My patni--wife, standing beside me, I performed ganbAbhiShekam--ablution with GangA water to PeriyavAL.

The great puNya-phalan--meritorious fruits, that our ancestor, mahAbhAShyam Ananta GOpAlakRuShNa sAstrigaL had accumulated was (thus) bestowed upon me.

--viShNu purANam

http://www.periva.proboards.com/thre...ize-kuladeivam

Why antoganize the kuladeivam (family deity)?

A dampati (couple) who had immense bhakti towards mahA-periyavar. They would never start anything significant on a day without doing pUjA to his image. The wife was in the family way, and was in an advanced stage. Not a day passed without their praying to the sage that the child be born in good health and shape. Although their family deity was God NarasiMha!

When the pregnant woman was sleeping one night, NarasiMha appeared in her dream and ordered that the couple name the child after him. The mother argued with the god that it was their custom to consult the kAnchi sage before they did anything. But then NarasiMha was adamant.

She narrated the dream to her husband the next morning. They decided to name the child NarasiMha and also have a word with the sage after the child was born. After all, they can't antagonize the family deity!

A handsome male child was born to them. When the initial rites were over, they went to have darshan of the sage. They had decided to tell him the dream and seek his advice.

When their turn of darshan came, they placed the child at the feet of the sage. Looking at the child, the sage had a sparkling ray of smile in his face. He said to the child, "Generally people would name a child only after due rites. But then this fellow is born with a name even when he was in the stomach. Isn't that so, NarasiMha?"

Even before the couple could think of expressing their predicament, the sage had solved their problem! This is how he graces his devotees.

--translated by saidevo

--viShNu purANam

The rustic who turned into a devotee

The years 1957-59 were a golden time in the history of Chennai metro during this half century. Those were the sacred months when the avatAra mUrti who blesses even our fleshy eyes with his darshan during this kaliyugam -- the sage of kAnchi -- whom this world celebrates as mahAperiyavar the tavashrEShTha--the most splendid ascetic, with a halt-and-takeover-compassion, was camping in Chennai. Staying primarily at the Sanskrit College, MylApUr, Chennai, with the then ascetic prince shrI Jayendra, the Compassionate set his sacred feet in many areas of the city such as Triplicane, NungambAkkam, ToNDaiyArpet and MAmbalam, and gave his anugraha--spiritual favour, for the crop of dharma to grow lush again in Chennai where once it flourished.

One early morning from the ShivA-ViShNu temple at MAmbalam, he set out on a pAdayAtra--travel by foot, to the temple at TiruvAnmiyUr, where Shiva as maruntIshvara--the healing god, rose in blessing with his consort shrI Tripurasundari. This aDiyEn--devotee, was among those blessed to be with the traveling group. I think that the Chief Minister then was shrI Baktavatsalam. Two or three policemen accompanied the entourage.

After some distance was covered, a man from the opposite direction confronted shrI Periyavar. His look teemed with ego; feet did not remove the sandals; his appearance and manners betrayed carelessness and disrespect.

Devotees who ruahsed to prevent any sparsham--touch on the munipungava--ascetic guru, built a wall around him with their hands. The policmen too came forward. But then the karuNAmUrti--image of compassion, asked them to move away and asked the man, "You want anything?"

"I don't need anything", he said. "People talk about a SankarAchArya, a great man. Is that you?"

"Let it remain. What's your name? Where are you going at this early morning hour?" -- The merficul inquiry from the charaNAgata vatsala--one who expresses paternal love for those who seek him.

He told his name and said, as if he shot an arrow, "Don't I have a job to do? I am going for my work". A ray of mockery that 'You people who are pontiff are lazy people, doing nothing useful' seemed to echo his words.

"Where is your job?" -- the dayAnidhi--treasure of mercy, continued his inquiry.

"At Guindy" he replied and said, "Let me ask something. Whoever established this Hindu religion?" The question had no vinayam--humbleness or passion to seek knowledge, even to the extent of a grain of mustard.

Perhaps the reply "I have no idea, my dear" from Periyavar, the jnAna-meru--the Meru mountain of Knowledge, gave him the pride of winning an argument.

"You say you don't know it", he shot another arrow. "But then you also say that the shAstras--scriptures put it this way or that, so pour down milk over a stone image, pour down ghee in the sacrificial fire. How do I believe that these are all for good?"

Without a wave of chalanam--disturbance, the dayApara--man of supreme mercy asked him in a cooling voice, "Let it remain. You said you have to go to Guindy. Will the place be reached if you go through this road?"

"Which is why I am going". The reply had the tone of indifference that the question was unnecessary.

"Alright. Whoever laid this road?" The munipungava decided to play the VINA strings of the pAmara's--rustic's heart.

"This one, the road, exists since the times of my grandfather, his great-grandfather, and theirs. Why bother who laid the road? It goes to Guindy. Isn't all that needed?"

"You say with certainty that this road leads to Guindy."

"Why should there be any doubt, sir? I take this road to work daily. Moreover look up. There is a signboard that the Government has set up, indicating which road leads to what place."

The deer was caught in the net of love. But then this is not one of capture, but redemption!

"I am like you, dear. Without bothering about or worrying over who laid the road, I go through this road of Hindu religion, just as you go with belief, based on the signboard. You beleive the signboard. Even that might change direction in the wind, or fall down in rain. I believe in the books of veda and shAstras. Things that are in existence over thousands and thousands of years, far before the times of my great grandfathers who were much superior to me (and believed in them). So I believe in them and tell people to believe in them." Finishing, the dayAnidhi said in a soothing tone, "Alright, unlike me, you have work. So you get along. Take care." The sage raised his abhaya hastam--hand of blessing.

The next second, the man kicked away his sandals and prostrated before the sage, falling flat on the ground.

"Please forgive me", he said, his toungue quivering. Tears drenched his cheeks.

'Those who came to scoff remained to pray', the poetic lines of Oliver Goldsmith in The Village Preacher came to my mind.

Thereafter, due to the rasavAda pariNAmam--transformation into gold, he became a [i]parama bhakta and visited the sage's camps.

jaya jaya shankara, hara hara shankara!

--viShNu purANam

In the guava fruit, a girl...
    author:....... A shrImaTham (KAnchi hermitage) disciple
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.3, pp.067-092

pp.067-068
    In the guava fruit, a girl...

Arrangements were on for the upanayanam--wearing the holy thread, ceremony of the only son of the GaNEshan dampati--couple, KumbakONam. A day before the day of muhUrtam--auspicious day, the boy met with an accident when a bus crushed him dead. The dampati were afflicted with endless sorrow and suffering. After a few months, they came for having darshan of shrI PeriyavAL.

The close disciple who arranged the darshan, informed the sage about the prArthana--prayer, of the dampati, who were afflicted with putra-shOkam--loss of child, for having putra saMtAnam--a child to continue the progeny, again. shrI PeriyavAL, after keeping his hand on his nAbhi--navel for sometime, did dhyAnam--meditative reflection, closing his eyes and then gave two guava fruits to the couple. The couple were comforted by the words of the close disciple that the sage doing them anugraham--divine favour, by keeping a hand on his navel was a shuba-sUchakam--indication of auspice.

Of the two fruits, one had rotten slightly. Nevertheless, the wife took both the fruits considering them equally as PeriyavAL prasAdam--gracious offer.

After some days, the wife who was pregnant had an abortion. Later, when she became pregant again, the doctors who examined her said that it was no pregnancy, probably a tumour in the stomach. The woman's age then was forty-seven.

But then, will what the 'doctor of doctors' granted go waste?

By the grace of shrI PeriyavAL, a daughter was born to the couple. That daughter is now in her school education, having good habits and control, enlivening the happiness of everyone in that family.

pp.068-069
    Jungly places of divinity

That was a day of the transit of the planet Guru. A bhakta--devotee came to PeriyavAL. "According to my horoscope, Guru has arrived at the lagna-sthAnam (position of Sun at birth). So, it is said that I will meet with heavy hardship. They say that shrI RAma going to the forest was due to the transit of Guru in his lagnam. The astrologer says that I should do some shAnti-parihAram--appeasement relief", said the devotee.

Periyava said:

"There is such a talk indeed: that RAma going to the forest was due to the Guru transit into his lagnam. All that (talk) is not right. RAma was comfortable in the forest... doing tapas--penance, doing saMbhAShaNam--conversation with the maharShis--great sages, and giving them darshan...

"Let it be. Since RAma went to the forest, you want to do the same, right? There are many kShetras--sacred places,--vana-kShEtras--jungly abodes, such as VEdAraNyam, SuvEtAraNyam, VilvAraNyam, ShanbhagAraNyam, DarbhAraNyam... (and so on: AraNyam--forest). You go to one of these AraNyas, stay for two three days, have svAmi darshan--darshan of God, and come back. It would be mental peace for you as well as having the astrologer right..."

The bhakta assured to do so and left the place.

Ref: What is lagnam?
    http://vasthurengan.com/jothidam/lea...agan-or-lagnam

pp.069-070
    Guru's graceful look

"The astrologers say that guru's look has not happened yet; so the hurdles in the way of getting my daughter married continue to delay it", a worried devotee supplicated to PeriyavAL.

Nearby, was standing the dear disciple of shrImaTham, (named) TEdiyUr VAnchi ayyar. He said immediately, with love and comfort, "It's wrong, what you say. guru-kaTAkSham has indeed happened. You have come to the sannidhi--presence of PeriyavA, who is the pratyakSha guru--visible guru. So no more hurdle. The marriage will be celebrated soon."

It was beyond fifteen days in the month of AvaNi--Aug-Sep. How could the marriage happen soon before the end of AvaNi? Later would be the months of puraTTAsi, aippasi and kArthtikai and mArgazhi, so the marriage talk could be started again only after this period... Thoughts of the bride's father ran in this manner.

PeriyavA's anugraha visheSham--speciality of divine grant, had been expressed in the words of VAnchi ayyar. In a sudden turn, the betrothal took place in a day or two and the mAngalya dhAraNam--wearing the sacred pendent in marriage, too was celebrated immediately thereafter.

The devotee who came to have PeriyavA darshan with the newly-wed couple, prostrated flat in PeriyavA's saMnidhi, expressing boundless happiness.

"I did not have time to come personally and inform PeriyavA about the betrothal; so I seek pardon. Owing the guru-kaTAkSham, I had the bridegroom from a good family and this soon..."

Raising his hand, PeriyavA blessed them.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information