Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is hell eternal in hinduism ?

Re: Is hell eternal in hinduism ?

Dear friends ,
    When a soul undergoes the process of purification , and takes birth in various forms , and set ups , it has to be in the transit lounges many times awaiting the next birth . Those transit lounges are hell and heaven as the case may be . rgds

Namaste,

In which books can we learn more about all of the lokas and what the soul goes through between births?

Pranam
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friends ,
    When a soul undergoes the process of purification , and takes birth in various forms , and set ups , it has to be in the transit lounges many times awaiting the next birth . Those transit lounges are hell and heaven as the case may be . rgds
    These are unverifiable personal views, just like mine. So, let us make it clear that the lounges that you speak of are just a concept. What is wrong with experiencing the bad conditions (hell) and good conditions (heaven) right here in the bodily form? Why would a disembodied soul be the only thing that can experience hell or heaven in these so called 'lounges'? Could this be a case of some childhood stories, not easily forgotten?

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 22 May 2014 at 09:33 AM.

What's more, what is exactly the point of vue of hinduism about impermanence ? I know buddhism considers every single thing as temporary, including hell, heaven and karma ; does hinduism carry a similar conception of karma in time ?
    With a metaphysical consideration, I could not conceive an eternal hell that would be in contradiction with the law of karma. Nevertheless, I heard some texts of early hinduism deal with an eternal hell : what do you think about that ? A that point, I guess that studying Holy Scriptures would be useful to answer it

Second question at last : Since it has been reported in that discussion that Satan didn't exist in hinduism, what can you tell me about Yama, ruler of hell ? I heard he was righteous with an high sense of justice, but I don't know much about him.

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste,

In which books can we learn more about all of the lokas and what the soul goes through between births?

Pranam
    Pranam,

You can find their descriptions in the Puranas like Srimad Bhagavatam and Vishnu Purana.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by VVV View Post

Second question at last : Since it has been reported in that discussion that Satan didn't exist in hinduism, what can you tell me about Yama, ruler of hell ? I heard he was righteous with an high sense of justice, but I don't know much about him.
    Vannakkam: Yama, for most people, I believe, is more like the Grim Reaper, a personification of the death process.

But of course I could be wrong. He might actually be a deity.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by VVV View Post
    Pranams.

I collected some useful information on Yama Deva over the internet for you:

Yama is a God of Vedic origin. One of the meanings of His name is "twin" because he is twin brother oh His sister Yami.

He is son of Surya, the Sun God. The Vedas says that He was the first mortal who died and because of this fact he became the Ruler of the departed souls and the Lord of Pitrs or ancestrals.

He is also one of the lokapalas (guardians of directions) and rules over the South. He has two dogs with four eyes and wide nostrils guarding the road to his abode. They are said to wander about among people as his messengers.

His assistant is Chitragupta, responsible for keeping record of humans doings and karma.

Yama is also associated with Dharma, the Lord of Justice and some view them as one and the same deity.

He is depicted with dark skin like the rain-cloud,two arms, fire-colored eyes, sharp side-tusks, using red or black clothes and seated either on a lion throne or a male buffalo.

Namaste.

Namaste,

Yama or Yamraj as we call him, is the god of dharma as well as the king of death. He is somewhat of a cowboy, who is depicted as riding around on a water buffalo with pointy horns, and holding a long rope with a loop at the end to snag souls from the corpses. I guess his job is to pull the souls out of dead bodies, take them to his big washing machine in the sky where his assistants wash and clean the lassoed souls with an industrial strength detergent and prepare them for reincarnation. No wonder new babies look so effulgent; they have fresh, spanking clean souls with a sweet smell, residing in them.

One of the lasting stories about him comes from the Mahabharat about how he was outwitted by Savitri, who got her husband Satyavan back from Yamraj after he had taken the soul out of the corpse of Satyavan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savitri_and_Satyavan

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 24 May 2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

These are unverifiable personal views, just like mine. So, let us make it clear that the lounges that you speak of are just a concept. What is wrong with experiencing the bad conditions (hell) and good conditions (heaven) right here in the bodily form? Why would a disembodied soul be the only thing that can experience hell or heaven in these so called 'lounges'? Could this be a case of some childhood stories, not easily forgotten?

Pranam.
    Exactly. Hell and heaven could be mindsets harnessed via the individual, planes of existence, or both simultaneously. I don't think it would be farfetched to assume that there are people living with a mindset that harnesses depression and hatred (i.e. hell) on a ''heavenly/celestial'' plane of existence.

I found this verse in the Bhagavad Gita : I believe it answers to my first question about eternity of hell, but I'd like to have your own advice.

Chapter 2, verse 16 : "That which really is, cannot go out of existence, just as that which is non-existent cannot come into being. The end of this opposition of ‘is’ and ‘is not’ has been perceived by the seers of essential truth".

I would place hell as "non-existent" in that point of view, and so impermanent, but your opinion will be considered with pleasure

Thread Information