Thread: Manav Seva Mandir

Thumbs Up Manav Seva Mandir

Namaste

I just got back from a spiritual pilgrimage wherein I traveled to Chicago to partake in a three day yoga retreat. But I made sure to visit a temple on the way. My friend and I arrived at the Manav Seva Mandir on a Friday morning. He had never visited a Hindu temple before, so I gave him a few tips on etiquette. We came inside and took our shoes off. I greeted a few other devotees with "Namaste," which has proven a reliable, if general, greeting in Sanatana Dharma. Anyway, there was a glass wall separating the prayer room from the front entrance/yantra circle (for special occasions?). The priest inside saw us, as we paused briefly before entering the prayer room. I was telling my friend that he didn't have to bow if he didn't want to. The priest opened the door and was about to ask us something, but I greeted him with namaste, and he just sort of understood and walked back in the prayer room. I have to admit, my friend and I didn't quite look the part of pilgrims!

But I made my prayers and sat before our Ishtas. I especially loved the image of Mother Durga. The priest gave us dry prasad. This temple was great. It was smaller than the one I usually go to in Michigan, but also way more laid back. The few people there actually acknowledged me, which was nice. I saw Gujarat on the walls and heard one devotee greet the priest with "Jay Shree Krishna," which I have read is a common Gujarati greeting. So I used it as a farewell before we left. I said it to both priests, who wished the same to me, and a man in the room was also very positive about it. I'm very thankful.

http://www.manavsevamandir.org/main.html

Jay Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Anima Deorum; 25 March 2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Clarity regarding geometric specificity
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Re: Manav Seva Mandir

Namaste Anima Deorum ji,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. And thank you too for teaching me something, it may explain why this is a common greeting at the Temple I have been going to.

Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information