Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skull rituals?

Skull rituals?

Namaste,

I am always asking weird questions, so why stop? My question is are there any Skull rituals in Shaivism? I know Aghoris use a human skull as a bowl to eat food and also to do other rituals with, but are there any other rituals with skulls? I cannot afford an actual human skulls (many are 1,500 to 2,000 dollars!), but I am thinking of setting up on a separate altar a skull to remind me of death and also to get intuned with those who have left this incarnation (mainly veneration of ancestors and saints). The skull I would use would be fake, but I think it still gives the same symbolic meaning.

Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Skull rituals?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

I am always asking weird questions, so why stop? My question is are there any Skull rituals in Shaivism? I know Aghoris use a human skull as a bowl to eat food and also to do other rituals with, but are there any other rituals with skulls? I cannot afford an actual human skulls (many are 1,500 to 2,000 dollars!), but I am thinking of setting up on a separate altar a skull to remind me of death and also to get intuned with those who have left this incarnation (mainly veneration of ancestors and saints). The skull I would use would be fake, but I think it still gives the same symbolic meaning.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam SS: Not in any traditional or common schools that I am aware of, but given the vastness of Shaivism, nothing would surprise me. I\m quite happy not having any, BTW.

Just where are you planning to get one, anyway? Should I call the FBI?

Aum Namasivaya

I'd worry about the previous "owner" of the skull. You wouldn't want to attract a restless ghost to your house, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Just where are you planning to get one, anyway? Should I call the FBI?
    I thought the same...

Namaste,

You jokesters didnt read the full post. I am going to get a fake one. The real ones are like 1,500 to 2,000. Hehe im not going to go to a cemetary.

Om Gam Ganaptye Namaha

Namaste,

You jokesters didnt read the full post. I am going to get a fake one. The real ones are like 1,500 to 2,000. Hehe im not going to go to a cemetary.

Om Gam Ganaptye Namaha
    Vannakkam: You mean we're supposed to read the full posts around here? I just read the first sentences, have an emotional reaction of some sort, usually negative, and start typing out some deranged overreacting mostly illegible response. Thank Ganesha for the edit function.

There should be lots of cheap fakes ones out at Halloween.

But its like using a cheap fake wig ... just doesn't come across as well.

Have a good day, my friend.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Yea lol your right it just isn't the same. If it is made of hard material it may be a little more realistic. But paying 1,500 or 2,000 for a human skull is a lot of money and as mentioned earlier who knows what person the skull belonged to. I don't want Dexter Morgans skull lol.

Thanks EM

Om Namah Shivaya

Namast,

If you want a "drinkable" skull, there is a brand of spirit called Crystal Head vodka, which is sold in a clear, skull-shaped glass bottle. It's widely available in the States.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    vodka,
    Vannakkam Indra: Vodka? That's Russian. SS is Latino. Does the same company sell tequila? But I must admit a skull is an apt metaphor for the hard stuff.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

i have human bone japamala for my daily japa
    and
    skull for ritual usualy we choose skull of sadhakas (when they live , they already said that they want their skull can help others for ritual)

Skull must be kapala, that is stuff to make offerings (yes we also can eat from it), usualy is fill with wine (or other alcoholic), food, jewels and offer it to Deitys.

In my tradition, Lord Shiva form is one hand hold a Trishul (trident) and one hand hold a kapala full of nectar.

Namah Rudraya Umapati Sahayaya
    Om Mahesvaraya Svaha
    Om Isanaya Svaha
    Om Rudraya Svaha
    Om Mahesvara Vandita-pujitayae Svaha

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Namaste,

Om Namah Shivaya
    Aghoris of present day do tend to use skull bowls, but I have no idea where from they got this.

Use of skull and bones in rituals comes from kapalika sect of quite extremist shaivas-it is actually not clear to me if kapalika's were clearly shaivas at all. I have not heard of skull-bone rituals among other shaivas as such.

Kapalika seemed to have influenced the tantric buddhism to a large extent (some claims they are same!). Real & actual or *authentic* usage of skull & bone implements can be still be found within vajrayana practices. I don't how much they are done within lay followers where preference must be to use alternatives.
    Last edited by sm78; 31 October 2011 at 02:06 AM.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Thread Information