Thread: Shrine Location

Question Shrine Location

Ok people i am moving back to Nippon in Hokkaido, basically 30,000 square miles of forest and isolation . I am having issues now that i am moving out of Iraq at the moment and escaping internet censorship . My new home is quite spacious now that its fixed and remodeled and i am wondering should i make an inside or outside shrine or is that even acceptable? A teacher i met in Dubai said "it is practically a sin for a wealthy individual of a big home not to dedicate a small room as a shrine to their worship". I do find truth in that statement although it is not an absolute. If i was to make an outside shrine it would be within the shade from the trees of course. Is it location inside or outside important?
    [CENTER] "Although the effulgence of the moon is brilliant initially at night, in the daytime it fades away. Similarly, although the lotus is beautiful during the daytime, at night it closes. But, O My friend, the face of My most dear Srimati Radharani is always bright and beautiful, both day and night. Therefore, to what can Her face be compared?" Vidagdha Madhava 5:20

Re: Shrine Location

Namaste CK,

In my opinion, there should be a family Pooja room in a house. If you keep it outside, you have to go there purposefully even for a Darshan (view of deity).

If I would have been in your position, I would have earmarked one room for Pooja. ... but it depends upon your comfort and convenience. Deity won't mind if He is inside or outside, imho.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Most Indian Hindu homes [rich or poor] have some sort of structure/room for images of Gods/deities.

The room generally should also face East, if I am not mistaken.

The puja room generally should be in the East, or northeat, if I am not mistaken, and inside home is better for families. That is, when the hindu stands in front of the images s/he may face east. Some people cramped for space may place images in food pantry area.

Iam glad you have left the region in one piece, i have my own experience to speak of about that region.Namaste.

Namaste,

Pooja room should be so located that you may be able to worship facing East. If that is not possible for some reasons, you can also choose to be facing North.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste CK,

In my opinion, there should be a family Pooja room in a house. If you keep it outside, you have to go there purposefully even for a Darshan (view of deity).

If I would have been in your position, I would have earmarked one room for Pooja. ... but it depends upon your comfort and convenience. Deity won't mind if He is inside or outside, imho.

OM
    namaste wise one

I will be living in Hokkaido a place only for outdoors men and farmers, so i will be spending LOTS of time outside and my house is very open.. Numerous doors around the house and they all lead tot he forest and the only clearing is a few miles off so i will be outside more often then inside i may add and see it better to make the shrine outside. I feel more relaxed in the forest then a small room in a house
    [CENTER] "Although the effulgence of the moon is brilliant initially at night, in the daytime it fades away. Similarly, although the lotus is beautiful during the daytime, at night it closes. But, O My friend, the face of My most dear Srimati Radharani is always bright and beautiful, both day and night. Therefore, to what can Her face be compared?" Vidagdha Madhava 5:20

Thread Information