Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cremation vs Burial

Cremation vs Burial

Cremation Vs Burial.

Firstly with a title like this, I would like the esteemed members to take trouble and cite slokas to tell us the reasons for cremation. Im unable to find any. Otherwise just the explanation will do. Thanks.

For a longtime i have been in awe with our dharmic practice of cremation of our dead for its underlying non-spiritual basis: Space conservation.

Whenever I travel in US/european cities and see the vast ‘dead’ space right in the middle of the towns, I get a feeling that our ancestors did a great favor directing hindus towards cremation as opposed to burial. Imagine the scary future scenario wherein the dead taking up more space than the living. Recently, I was reading that in one island located north of Sweden the decades of subzero temps had preserved the buried forever, the soil working as a freezer. Not pleasing to say the least. Therefore nowadays the dead are transported to warmer southern mainland for burial. Also Israel these days has been finding it difficult to accommodatefor their dead in a tiny nation of theirs. Wisdom seems to be the driving force behind most of the hindu tradition, it is just our shortcoming to see science in it and falsely labeling it as superstition..Increasing trends in crematiion in west is welcome. Read below NYT piece.

“…. All but taboo in the United States 50years ago, cremation is now chosen over burial in 41 percent of Americandeaths, up from 15 percent in 1985, according to the Cremation Association of North America.Economics is clearly one of the factors driving that change. The percentage of bodies that are cremated hasrisen steadily for years, for reasons ranging from spiritual to environmental.But a recent study shows that the increase has accelerated during the downturn,and many funeral home directors say they believe the economy is leading peopleto look for less expensive options…”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/us/in-economic-downturn-survivors-turning-to-cremations-over-burials.html?_r=1&hpw

Re: Cremation vs Burial

Hari Om!

Please be advised that the link that is listed below is NOT FOR THOSE WITH A WEAK STOMACH! It is a trailer for the film "Thread of Yoga - Can You Control The Mind" by Eric Wills, just over 2 minutes in length and is very graphic but I feel has some very useful information, especially towards the latter part of the film that deals not only with death and dying, but with cremation and burial from a yogic perspective. Again - NOT FOR THOSE WITH A WEAK MIND OR STOMACH! I love this film and have view it several times because I feel it has rich meaning and I seem to discover something new each time I view it. It deals with all the main yogic branches. A really great film as the trailer states. It was in wide release so I don't feel there should be any ill will listing it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVMmMRF78rM

AGAIN, VIEW WITH CAUTION!

OM Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Vannakkam: I've always understood it as follows: The soul really needs to be released from this world, so it can continue to evolve by finding a new body to reincarnate into. By keeping an old body hanging around, the soul stays attached to it. (Also explains 'ghosts' in graveyards) Therefore we practice a 31 purification time, cremation, and other death rites, to release the soul. According to some mystic beliefs, the exact timing of this is when the skull pops open from the fire's heat.

This makes sense especially for the idea of souls that are still particularly attached. They no longer have a home to hang out in. It also explains why some saints are buried. Because they have already realised moksha while in a physical body, there is no need for a release - they've already done it.

Aum Namasivaya

4. Re: Cremation vs Burial

We do not have enough land in Earth to bury all Christians, Muslims and their coming generations, but they do not understand. Land is for living but mahaAdharmis are making this planet as land of the dead.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    We do not have enough land in Earth to bury all Christians, Muslims and their coming generations, but they do not understand. Land is for living but mahaAdharmis are making this planet as land of the dead.
    Indeed. It maybe also has something to do with their belief that they will be resurrected in heaven or hell on the Day of Judgement[DoJ]/Resurrection.

If Allah/YHWH can resurrect buried dead bodies on the DoJ, why cannot he also resurrect cremated bodies

So, I think it will be good if Christians/Muslims wholeheartedly embrace cremation so as to ease the pressure on land resources and bring down real estate prices in India.

We dont have enough space for living folks in India, it is atrocious if more and more space is provided for those dead.

Below is the excerpt from ‘ A concise encyclopedia ofhinduism’ published by Ramakrishna math, Bengaluru, 2011.Please read:

ANTYESTI: According to dharma shastras , a hindu …at every stage oflife ought to go through certain ceremonies which will add an peculiar excellence not only to his body but also to his mind and spirit. These sanskaras (purifactory rite orsacrament) are 16 in total and ANTYESTI is the last one, the grand finale of awell lived life. (Antya = end/death). It is performed by the sons or close male relatives.Since cremation seems to have been the general rule among vedic Aryans, it was considered a sacrifice (asti= sacrifice). It was believed that agni, the firegod, who acted as a messenger between god and men, would lead soul of the deadto the next world.

On the approach of death, the person who is expecting die shortly, bids farewell to the assembled relatives and the world. Alms and gifts are distributed. Oblations are offered into the sacrificial fire maintained by him. In the modern days dropping the water of Ganga and tulasi (basel) leaves into his mouth are in vogue. The body is removed in a bier specially made and taken in a procession to the cremation ground, led by the chief mourner (usually eldest son). A cow is let free on this occasion.. She is called 'Anustarani' and is believed to assist transcend ocean of mortality. The corpse, after washing is laid on the pyre and set on fire chanting the vedic mantras (as in Rigveda 10.16.1) After udakakarma (offering of water) and consoling the mourners, the nearest relatives observe asauca ( ceremonial impurity) for 3days. Later on the astikas (bones ) are collected 'Astisanchayana' and immersed in a holy river or sea. Sradda ceremonie are followed by sapindi karana (affiliation of the dead with the manes)

I think that the desire of whether or not you wish to be cremated ultimately boils down to a psychological state. As with many things largely hidden and inarticulable, people have reasons for why they do things. "I want to be cremated because it sets me apart from any past remembrance of my body as being my true self" or something to that effect.
    How can I put this in a sentence? Try next time.

Below is an excerpt from ‘ A concise encyclopedia of hinduism’ published by Ramakrishna math, Bengaluru, 2011.Please read:

Dahana (cremation)

The whole process of dahana is a very elaborate ritual..….cremation of dead bodies has been existing since ancient days. Bodies of dvijas (‘twice born’) (see Dvija) who had kept duly consecrated vedic fires (such people are called ‘ahitagnis’) were invariably cremated with vedic fires. Various wooden sacrificial vessels and implements being placed on the various limbs at the time of cremation. Those who hadn’t kept the vedic fires were cremated with ordinary fires. Dead bodies could be carried by the male relatives ( a small bed of twigsis and bambos prepared right near the dead body for carrying purpose) or transported by a cart. According to one account a great deal of noise is to be made by means of the instruments like the cymbols, while carrying the body to crematorium in a procession. Though weeping is allowed up until cremation, all weeping is prohibited after the dahana sanskara is over.

During a period when transportation and communication were difficult, people who go out travelling either for pilgrimage or for business, had to face many hardships. So when someone who went out, was heard to have died (and the body couldnot be recovered), cremation used to be done to an effigy prepared by palasa (buteafrondosa) leaves, flour of Barley and woolen thread. This is called akrti dahana (burning the effigy). This is also done to those who were not heard of for 12 years or more. If by chance they return later, then they had to undergo all the sacraments like jataka karma, namakarana etc.

History reveals that the disposal of the bodies of the dead has been practiced by mankind in several ways: cremation, burial, consigning it to water, leaving it on mountain tops to be devoured by vultures and animals, and even embalming. Out of these the the first two have been most widely practiced.

namaste,

I think about it the same way when I pass by any cemetary. I can't avoid driving by cemetaries and have to pass by at least one on my way to work and home no matter what route I take. It is very annoying that people should have to pass by land where dead bodies are just rotting away few feet from your car just because of some stupid belief that these dead bodies are going to rise up one day. Sickening.

I think our ancestors were thinking lightyears ahead of their time and did us all a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post

Whenever I travel in US/european cities and see the vast ‘dead’ space right in the middle of the towns, I get a feeling that our ancestors did a great favor directing hindus towards cremation as opposed to burial. Imagine the scary future scenario wherein the dead taking up more space than the living.

satay

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Indeed. It maybe also has something to do with their belief that they will be resurrected in heaven or hell on the Day of Judgement[DoJ]/Resurrection.
    It does.

If Allah/YHWH can resurrect buried dead bodies on the DoJ, why cannot he also resurrect cremated bodies
    Well, of course he can, but if he's passive-aggressive, he may not want to. If I remember correctly from my childhood Sunday School days, it has to do with the body being a temple of the Holy Spirit, and no one has a right to destroy the body/temple. So what happens to someone who is burned to death and nothing is left but charred bone fragments? Beats me, I don't make this stuff up, I just report it. Seriously, that's one of the sillinesses of their dogma.

So, I think it will be good if Christians/Muslims wholeheartedly embrace cremation so as to ease the pressure on land resources and bring down real estate prices in India.
    The Catholic Church is now sanctioning cremation; the Eastern Orthodox Church is categorically opposed to cremation. They will probably never sanction it, nor will Islam.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information