Thread: Evidence for reincarnation?

Evidence for reincarnation?

You gotta love science; it explains the natural world around us and how the universe functions. It is also used (by some) to be the antithesis to religion and spirituality. While science has been used to explain how the world works, some have also used as supportive evidence for the things that it (at face value) disproves; like God.

Is there any interesting or credible evidence to support rebirth/reincarnation?
    There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity over it.

Re: Evidence for reincarnation?

Vannakkam Mr. G: Is there scientific evidence to support God's existence? Karma? Divine Energy? Moksha? A soul?

As far as I know there is no absolute proof, or more people would be all gaga about it. There are several documented cases of children stating things about history they simply could not have known, and their own past life history. http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm For most Hindus it is just a given. I'm one of them.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Galaxy View Post
    I am reincarnated and alive, that is proof enough!

Somewhere I saw a bumper sticker which carried a message from God and read something like, 'I gave you science to see me, not to deny me - God'.

As I have written many times before in the forum, science is for validating the material phenomenon in a lab environment. Spirituality is outside the purview of scientific study. The Lord makes His presence felt to a devotee, not to a nerd with the most accurate hi-tech measurement tools.

Pranam.

Reincarnation is, for the most part, a metaphysical premise that helps Hinduism deal with its own version of the Problem of Evil/Suffering. Along with this, it also helps Hinduism deal with certain other knotty theological/metaphysical questions.

I am unsure if it can be proven "scientifically" given that science does no longer believe in mind-body dualism (?). That is, as long as consciousness (which is believed in Hinduism to be the mark of a self) is held to be a completely emergent property of matter/materials (as the ancient Charvakas used to believe and as current-day scientists also believe) and not sui generis, there is no reason to "scientifically" investigage reincarnation.

Google Ian Stevenson
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

6. Re: Evidence for reincarnation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Galaxy View Post
    You gotta love science; it explains the natural world around us and how the universe functions. It is also used (by some) to be the antithesis to religion and spirituality. While science has been used to explain how the world works, some have also used as supportive evidence for the things that it (at face value) disproves; like God.

Actually there is some excellent scientific evidence in support of reincarnation. Ian Stevenson was a highly reputed Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Virginia, he passed I believe a few years ago.

He started out as a skeptic and used very rigorous statistical methods to test out the reincarnation hypothesis. He used biological evidence in the form of birth marks and other physiological abnormalities, that corresponded with memories of injuries received in a previous life and concluded that reincarnation was the only plausible explanation that could explain for the data.

He was as I said a very rigorous scientist. His books in which he presents the evidence and his research are available on amazon and have great reviews: Here are the books and the links:

1. Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation by Ian Stevenson
    http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Cases-S...+Reincarnation

2. Children who Remember Previous Lives
    http://www.amazon.com/Children-Remem...+Reincarnation

3. Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect by Ian Stevenson
    http://www.amazon.com/Where-Reincarn...logy+Intersect
    The Spiritual Bee - Rational answers to life's profound questions surrounding God, Soul, Consciousness, Life & Death, based upon the principles of Advaita Vedanta.

Thread Information