Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why close the eyes ?

Re: why close the eyes ?

Namaste Yajvan ji,

Thanks for your explanation.

I would like to mention here the technique of meditating on PraNava which is done by closing the eyes, the ears and the mouth. In this technique, the SAdhak uses his fingers to close these opening and concentrates on the PraNava sound resonating through various Chakras.

The basic idea behind closing the openings (the eyes, the ears etc.) is that the SAdhak is required to cut off from the outer distractions and focus on the object of meditation.

OM
    Last edited by devotee; 29 April 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Nostrils are closed in meditating on the Third Eye visualisation and not in PraNaVa meditation
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté devotee

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    I would like to mention here the technique of meditating on PraNava which is done by closing the eyes, the ears and the mouth. In this technique, the SAdhak uses his fingers to close these opening and concentrates on the PraNava sound resonating through various Chakras.

The basic idea behind closing the openings (the eyes, the ears etc.) is that the SAdhak is required to cut off from the outer distractions and focus on the object of meditation.
    What you say is true...yet there is one finer point to consider. If one is new to this practice and wishes to try it wthout a disiplined mind there will be little success. What is disciplined mind ? It is achieving one-pointed awareness before closing all the entry points.

Many a new aspirant reads how to do this and then begins the practice with focus and enthusiasm. Yet they find upon closing the air passages ( nose and mouth) they will waiting to breath again, only staying in this condition for say 30 seconds or perhaps 1 minute. The mind does not settle down and hence the possibility of nirvikalpa is passed by. The ~secret~ here to to gain the middle, madhya , first, then begin the practice.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

We are told in our śāstra-s that the Supreme is omnipresent ( some call viśva or sarva-viśva). That means every atom or non-atom ( vacuum or ākāśa some call śūnya) is pervaded by the Supreme.

If this is so, then why do many close their eyes in meditation to come to realize this Supreme if it is to be found everywhere ?

praṇām
    Because the single eye (Tenth Gate of our Body) through which one realizes supreme opens inwards, And it is situated in the mid of our two physical eyes like: o^o, Which is also said as Shiv-Nater.

That one may not get any confusion between the internal world and external world while meditating, that's why we are told to close our eyes while meditating.

_/\_Jasdir
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Cool Re: why close the eyes ?

so many thought had been put with references, but in my view,simple common sense will materialise the question.

Scientifically looking,the most forward part of eye-the CORNEA is very sensitive part of eye which needs constant lubrication.and this lubrication is maintained by periodic98-12times /minute) blinking of eye lid which swipe the tear film over it.this tear film aids the cornea getting oxygen from air.keep it open for long,it will burn,and still longer,it will become ULCER !So how is it simply possibly to meditate with open eyes for long time.and if you blink repeatedly,how all organs,brain comes to stand still???

Secondly if it happens that you attain deep meditation or samadhi, the autonomic control of brain over body goes just like after death. Then all organs go into ANATOMIC position naturally. for example eye lids remains in partially closed state,eye ball rotated upward and in.all muscle relaxed.

Thus above two rules show that in natural meditative state,we found the yogis with eyes turned up,lids closed partially.I think by whatever means one start the meditation,once he goes into deeper consciousness, the eye will assume the above mentioned position naturally as its the natural anatomical position. so why not start like this from begin? If samadhi will not happen,at least a powerful nidra-samadhi is assured
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Thread Information