Thread: Relatives can be funny

Relatives can be funny

Namaste

I try to offer all my food to Maha Devi (whether I have cooked it or not) and tonight my mother was cooking a stew. She came over and offered me a spoonful of the stew to taste and I said 'I can't try it yet, I have to offer it to Devi'. Do you know what she did? She turned to my shrive (which was just behind me) and waved the spoonful over the flame burning in the lamp. I don't know if she knows but she just gave a kind of ablution to the flames!

I had a very, very good laugh at that. Have any of your relatives done anything sweet/funny?

Re: Relatives can be funny

Namast,

That's a great story! I often forget to offer my food because I'm always eating on the run, so good on both you for doing so, and your mum for "participating"!

My "relatives" story is unusual for its lack of dialogue: I had a month-long visit to my parents about a year and a half ago. At the time, I was performing agnihotra twice a day, and also did a havan in the backyard before leaving. I wore bindi daily - as I still do - and salwar-kameez when the weather allowed. All that time, my parents said nothing about any of it! There was no malice in it; in fact, the few times my mother came outside during evening agnihotra, she'd turn quietly and go back inside to leave me uninterrupted. Once I heard, "She's doing the fire thing again, I'll get her in a minute!"

I can only guess that I have established such a reputation for headstrong bizarreness that at this point, I could put a giraffe in the backyard for religious reasons, and my family would just quietly feed the giraffe and keep the gate closed. I can't decide whether this is good or bad.

Not a relative story, but I do have one local friend who knows me and my religion quite well. Around that same time, for my birthday, he gave me a gift with a verse attached. I can't remember all of it, but the gist of the message was an instruction to hang the object in sunlight. It ended with something like, "...and there the Deva's bow will shine, a sign to his loving devotee." The box held a small glass prism. It was such a thoughtful kindness.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thread Information